Cooking Fuel Flexibility

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I have a propane locker with two 11lb. steel cylinders. They last so long one can become complacent.

I'd like the following:
  1. a reliable spring balance to weigh the cylinders, to determine the fuel remaining;
  2. a host to run the boat from a 1 lb. camp stove bottle, available nearly everywhere;
  3. an adapter to refill the 1lb. bottle from the 11lb. cylinder.
Thoughts? I'm looking, but not finding item 2.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
an adapter to refill the 1lb. bottle from the 11lb. cylinder
I can't remember where I saw it, but I do recall a fierce discussion over whether there was any safe way to do this. I remember something about cooling one of the cylinders, then a bunch of people saying you'll overfill the receiving tank and risk damage.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Thanks @Davidasailor26 . Yea, I'd like to avoid the safety discussion or debate. As far as I'm concerned, and I've read about refilling the small tanks, it's safe - as long as you do it outside, and not over your boat!

There are lots of adapters and kits available for this. Many don't seem to know that you have to invert the source tank, so you're putting liquid into the receiving tank. Also, the 1lb. cans have relief/bleed valves on them. Perhaps needless to say, but they were filled once before!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Easiest thing to do is not become complacent. You have a lot of propane in two tanks. When one empties, switch tanks and get the other filled....

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've filled US 20# propane tanks all over the world. It's basically a pourable low-pressure gas so all you really need is the proper fittings for both tanks, hose clamps and a fuel line hose between, and a way to pour the gas. Often the guys at the station will do it right there for you, but in some places, either the government regs or the company policy won't allow it. In that case, I've had the filler guys throw their 100# cylinder in the back of a truck with mine and we'll go up on a hill far from people and literally pour the gas through the made-up hose from the big cylinder in the bed of the truck to my cylinder on the ground. Whenever possible I try to buy propane tanks with a screw that releases air when the gas flows in, but it seems to work OK without. Maybe you just don't get the full 20#'s.
However, smoking and beating ferous metals together are not recommended activities when doing this.
I'm not sure how this would work on those little cylinders with the built-in valves, but I am sure someone either sells a filler hose with adapters or the plans to build one are available online.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have a propane locker with two 11lb. steel cylinders. They last so long one can become complacent.

I'd like the following:
  1. a reliable spring balance to weigh the cylinders, to determine the fuel remaining;
  2. a host to run the boat from a 1 lb. camp stove bottle, available nearly everywhere;
  3. an adapter to refill the 1lb. bottle from the 11lb. cylinder.
You need to follow threads closer. I've posted this several times that you can get the 10>1 adaptors at most places that sell BBQ accessories.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
You need to follow threads closer.
I'll take that under advisement. But I donl't think that's what I said I couldn't find. I want to find an adapter that will make a 1lb. bottle look like an 11lb. tank to my boat. (Item 2.)

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If you have 2 tanks, what is the issue? Use one and the other is the backup. When tank 1is empty, switch to tank 2. And put a refill of tank 1 on your to do list. You said you don’t run them empty very fast. So unless you are in a 3rd world company, getting a tank refilled should be a pretty easy thing to accomplish “in time”.

I do this with my 20 pound tanks for my BBQ grill at the house. I never run out of propane.

I have an adaptor on my boat for the small 1lb bottles. Small brass adaptor, but I don’t know who makes it. The PO was using 1 lb bottles. I bought some 5 lb , refillable tanks and use those instead.

Greg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I keep the 1lb. bottle for the BBQ in the propane locker - it fits, fortunately.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Come to think of it, maybe what I need is a spare propane hose whip. If that fails, I'm toast.

I just received my second tank, the boat only came with one. Empty 13 lb., full 23. I was thinking the spring balance would be good for judging available fuel.

This is all just thinking out loud, I guess. For years with the previous boat I just did as @Tally Ho and perhaps others suggested and ran one tank out, switched, and filled the empty one when convenient. The truth is I get more than a season on one tank.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Instead of a scale, pour some hot water down side of tank and feel where warm goes to cool. Might even see a condensation line...You are way over thinking this....

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Get a bathroom scale and weigh your tank. Also useful for weighing yourself after you chomp down all that BBQ

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I use a propane bottle gauge on the one hooked up and on the spare.
Nick
I assume you mean a pressure gauge? If so, that unfortunately won't tell you the level, it will only tell you that there's gas, or there's not. The pressure will stay up as long as there's any liquid propane in the bottle, and will only start dropping once that's gone, at which point you are pretty much done.

• Helpful
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I can't remember where I saw it, but I do recall a fierce discussion over whether there was any safe way to do this. I remember something about cooling one of the cylinders, then a bunch of people saying you'll overfill the receiving tank and risk damage.
I'll give you the practical insights into this issue. The 1# bottle manufacturers fill them bottles at a higher pressure than you could attain by transferring from a BBQ 20# tank. In order to try and get the maximum amount of propane to transfer it is recommended that you place the 1# bottle into the freezer overnight (pressure varies with temperature) so it will accept a little more propane. It has been my experience that I only get between 2/3 and 3/4 of the original tank duration. The thing to be careful about is the valve on the 1# bottle; if it is rusted or does not seal immediately do not use. The process of transfer requires for the 20# tank to be inverted so the liquid LP flows into the receiver bottle. As far as safety the same care will apply as with the purchased bottles.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I'd like the following
  1. a host to run the boat from a 1 lb. camp stove bottle, available nearly everywhere
Check Amazon for "propane adapters" One shown below was @ $9. They call it "The Steak saver". You can add a hose to it for proper and convenient bottle placement.

Attachments

Last edited: