Quick question..halyard slapping in nearby boat, in marina.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It isn't yours, don't bother it. Just the way boatyards are sometimes. You can't expect other people to cater to what you like and don't. Yeah, most people don't like to let them slap around, I agree, but no one has any business bothering other people's belongings, especially for something trivial.
Is it trivial?

I’m a light sleeper and bell chimes all night ensure no sleep

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Up in Rock Hall a marina had been in business a long time. Then a condominim group was built along the adjacent land. The new residents complaned about mast slap to the marina. Marina said, hey, it IS a MARINA. They did eask boat owners to be nice and secure their halyard, but IIRC did not make it a standing RULE.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I think few sailors have slept in a marina when the wind is piping. They don't go to the marinas on those days. In many larger marinas, when the wind hits 30 knots it is hard to hold a conversation, let alone sleep. The halyard are at least as loud as a boom box, and thus the owner has created a public nuisance that extends beyond his property.

There seems to be some notion that the do-gooder could cause some harm. That seems far fetched in this example (and there is no point in expanding the scope at this point) and no example has been presented. Frankly, I think some folks have unrealistic expectations of privacy in a crowded world, like the person that expects an apology when you bump shoulders on the subway.

I will stick with the golden rule; I hope others will tie anything up that I inadvertent leave loose. I try, but mistakes are always possible. For example, I have wound up several jibs; I just could not leave them flog. One opened right in front of me in only 10 knots; they forgot to cleat the line. How could I have let that go? I hope another sailor would do the same for me. Others have the right to feel differently.

If you really don't want anyone touching your boat, hang a sign that says "Don't touch her, even if she is sinking." I'm sure folks will comply, and they will post the pictures here.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Up in Rock Hall a marina had been in business a long time. Then a condominim group was built along the adjacent land. The new residents complained about mast slap to the marina. Marina said, hey, it IS a MARINA. They did ask boat owners to be nice and secure their halyard, but IIRC did not make it a standing RULE.
That's pretty funny. I used to live on a lake and some people complained to the HOA about the noise the birds made.

This is a case where a nice sign saying "people are trying to sleep" makes sense.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That's pretty funny. I used to live on a lake and some people complained to the HOA about the noise the birds made.

I have a vacation rent house on the lake... one of my tenants left a complaint in the guest book about spiders in the yard.

It is a LAKE house!

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Only a guess, but you may not have been between to boats with unsecured lines when the wind clocked in at 30 plus at 1am. Sometimes you cannot save someone’s flyaway jib. But tightening lines or pulling them away from a mast is sometimes the only way to get some sleep. The last time I enjoyed that experience, as I came out of my boat I saw my neighbors boat yawing about and lines banging. The bow line had nearly separated and the halyard had found a way to slacken enough to begin chafing. Cut out the bad part of the bow line, retied the bow line. Then put a bungee around the halyard.
When he came to check his boat I gave him the end piece of the bowline and cautioned him about the chafing halyard. He grumbled a bit I went back to my boat for coffee. He came over apologizing for his reaction and thanked me. Said he knew he was going to have to replace the bowline but thought he could get by until the next sale.
When I walk the dock to my slip I always check other boat's docklines and I will fix them if they look like they are going to fail soon if they aren't but look sketchy, I'll talk to the owner the next time I see them. A few weeks ago I smelled gas coming from an uncovered fishing pontoon boat, I checked the fuel line for leaks and saw where it was wet with gas. I left a note for the owner-who I have had only a few conversations with over our 10+ years on the same dock-and told him i was the one who left the note the next time I saw him. He was very thankful and gave me two freshly cleaned walleyes for my troubles. I will also secure flapping halyards and make sure I tell the owners the next time I see them.
To me, a harbor is a community of fairly like-minded people-both powerboater and sailors-who look out for each other and their boats. I've been doing stuff like that for years and I know a few others that do the same (almost all are sailors-I think all the lines on sailboats scare powerboaters:).

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I have a vacation rent house on the lake... one of my tenants left a complaint in the guest book about spiders in the yard.

It is a LAKE house!
Were they trying to raise koi? Maybe they were worried about fishing spiders. I've lost a lot of koi to the Dolomedes spider

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
It is a city ordinance. No halyards slapping. This is a catty marina. We just call the cops.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
I love the sounds of slapping halyards just like I love the sounds of seagulls and waves pounding off the breakwater. It all makes me happy to be alive and never keeps me awake for that reason.
On previous boats with hank on sails and with conventional mains I always bungeed the halyards so as not to disturb others.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I have no qualm about me silencing a boats halyards and even with my own bungees. I need the sleep. I also let it be known that if my setup fails, then have at it to fix it. With the unfurling jib issue in a blow, its a maybe. Ive been smacked by clues that did not feel good on the ol noggin. Maybe better to let the halyard go and the secure to the lifelines or such. Collect the bottle of rum next day...

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I've often 'silenced' the halyards on other boats, but probably only in my own club. If I was a guest somewhere I may not do it. Once we were at another club, my wife tossed a blueberry overboard, but it hit the lifeline, and landed on the boat beside us! I said, 'its Ok, it won't stain....'. I looked around before I went on the other boat, we had a good laugh about that one.... still make blueberry jokes.
I would be upset if I found out my halyards bothered others, I would want them to take care of it.
Cheers
dj

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
do these noise complaints include turning off the AC discharge at night?
My father always hated the incessant whir of wind generators on the boats anchored next to him. To this day, I can't convince him of the aesthetic appeal.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
It isn't yours, don't bother it. Just the way boatyards are sometimes. You can't expect other people to cater to what you like and don't. Yeah, most people don't like to let them slap around, I agree, but no one has any business bothering other people's belongings, especially for something trivial.
You may consider a banging halyard trivial, but I suspect you would be in the minority here. At the minimum, it is a public nuisance. It is irritating, rude and inconsiderate, or at least ignorant. Other than when something comes undone that was previously secured, it is relatively easily prevented. Mostly, it is a matter of awareness. Sometimes it is a matter of learning what works and what doesn't. On the otherhand, maybe you have had the good fortune to just not be exposed to the constant, really loud banging all day and all night long that others have experienced.

I confess that I have had others secure mine on rare occasions, and I have secured others. Like others, I have approached the other boater afterward and let them know that it was me, just out of courtesy.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
I love the sounds of slapping halyards just like I love the sounds of seagulls and waves pounding off the breakwater. It all makes me happy to be alive and never keeps me awake for that reason.
On previous boats with hank on sails and with conventional mains I always bungeed the halyards so as not to disturb others.
Gently slapping halyards ARE something of a happy sound... Loud banging halyards, with the sound carried through the water as a BANG BANG BANG are another thing altogether.

BTW I thought I was doing a "bang up" job securing my own halyards... I typically wrap my foresails with the halyards as a bit of extra protection against strong winds unfurling the sails... about a week ago, I heard a not too loud, but unmistakable bang bang bang in a 20 knt breeze... looked up and noticed my forward topping lift, which I had used to wrap the stays'l, was just hitting the top of the mast. The line runs from just below the Jib halyard opening, down parallel to the mast about 6-7 feet to the top of the stays'l. Well in that short parallel distance, at a certain wind velocity, it just started doing the "Tacoma Narrows Bridge dance" and was hitting the mast.

I will ensure that that halyard is NOT parallel to the mast in the future... Just means starting the stays'l wrap a bit lower.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...I will ensure that that halyard is NOT parallel to the mast in the future... QUOTE]

Some folks think that because the halyard is flat against the mast and banjo-string tight, it won'y flap. WRONG!

Last edited:

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
True, that is probably the worst situation... guarantees they will come right back to the mast.:yikes:

It is better to just pull them away from the mast and or have them at an angle... Like I said, I tend to wrap them around the furled sails, or if the sails are off... I wrap them around the shrouds and keep any potential "banjo" distance real short.