Water in under hull.

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
Macgregor 1993 26x Ky lake
New to sailing. Just put boat in today. Came back to check on it and some water has collected under the seats and front under the front berth. Is that normal???? N

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
You generally want the water on the outside of the boat. Any noticeable leaks? Did it rain? Need to find out where it is coming from.

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
No. No rain. Put it in a few hours ago. When I lifted the front berth compartment scout 1 inch in lowest point. Same under seats.

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
Where could it be coming from?? How can I tell in the water. Also noticed a little in that round thing on the floor in front of head. Not sure what that is??

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
if the water gets any deeper in there you may need to take it back out of the water if you can't find the source

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Has a PO added any thru-hulls on the boat? Particularly below the waterline? The Macs only had one for a cockpit/motorwell drain on the aft port side and one stbd abeam for the sink. Both are well above the waterline.

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
That's all that I saw. I will check it first thing in the morning. It's the first time that I have put it in. Do yours all stay completely dry under there?

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I have an older 26d. I had a lot of topside leaks and have rebedded almost everything. But that's for another day.

I would first check all through hulls that are below the water line.

I would check on top of the water ballast (I'm assuming the X has one and that you have screwed it down tight). I've heard of several that have had a leak on top of the water ballast, mine included. It's hard to see because it is hidden under everything.

Next I'd check the bow. Has it been hit or dinged?

Our cockpit drain was also somewhere water was coming in, but only when launching or healing was it under water. Had to have my spouse back the boat into the water, stopping every couple of feet until I saw the water gushing in around the through hull. Yes, we did this during the week when we had the ramp to ourselves (and no witnesses).

Good luck! This takes ruling out one place at a time or fixing one place at a time until you have a dry boat. You will learn a lot about the contours of your boat this way.

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
I did wash it last night before I brought it to the lake. Can water go in around that rubber where the boat is put together. I sprayed it a lot around that seal because it was very dirty

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The 2 factory drains stay dry. Can't speak for any that someone may have added for like a depth gauge or knot meter. My '92 didn't have the "round thing" you mention, but I think that might be access to your keel bolts.
Is your ballast tank closed up good? The screwed down valve rod and the small vent plug?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It's possible that the seam behind the rub rail is leaking. You need to find out if it takes on water just floating, or was it from the spray. Leaks can be a PITA to isolate, but first you can tell if it's coming in from below or above.

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
When we were unloading it. It was in the water on the trailer for a while also.

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
If no more water is in there in the morning I will pump it out and see if it stays dry. Thank u. I will update!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
When we were unloading it. It was in the water on the trailer for a while also.
Could the aft drain hole have been underwater tilted back on the trailer? Probably not, but if the hose from the cockpit to the thru hull is loose, that might cause it. We had a Mac25 almost sink this way in the marina.

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
Where is the aft drain hole. I do know that the sink drain is not hooked up. At least I don't think it is. Could it have come in through there? Is that the aft?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Where is the aft drain hole. I do know that the sink drain is not hooked up. At least I don't think it is. Could it have come in through there? Is that the aft?
That on eis on the stbd side abeam (near the middle). If you put the hose to it water would get in. Shouldn't let water in just sitting in the water. The aft cockpit thruhull is on the port side near the stern.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Congratulations on your first launch! Keep us informed on how things go. Definitely pump out the water and see if any more accumulates and how fast. The round thing in front of the head could be an inspection port. If so, it was probably installed by a previous owner. I wouldn't put one on my ballast tank but some people do. That would be the first place that I would look for leaks. The second place that I would look is where the line goes through to raise the centerboard.

Besides the ballast plug and the fittings that secure the centerboard the 26s has no fittings below the waterline. The ones mentioned are all inside the ballast tank so there shouldn't be any leaks at all. We had our boat in the water for about a week and a half last May. A few hours after launching I noticed about an inch of water under the port settee (left cabin seat). I pumped it out and sponged it dry. The next day it had about 1/4 inch of water so I sponged it out again. On the third day it was damp but had no standing water. By the end of our stay it was completely dry. My guess is that the water got there from when I washed the boat. Yours could be as well.

Pam

Jul 28, 2016
Is there a caulk u can use when there is water if I find a leake around anything? Or would I have to pull the boat out?

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Is there a caulk u can use when there is water if I find a leake around anything? Or would I have to pull the boat out?
This might be a better question to ask in the "Ask All Sailors" forum.

Good luck. Crossing my fingers here as well.