Thinking about moving up.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Warning - This is a bit of a ramble but I've rambled here before and have gotten some good ideas from members that have helped me set a course of action so I thought I would try again.

Now that I have 3 seasons in of sailing my O'day 25 and a better understanding of the type of sailor I am, I’m thinking of maybe moving up to a bit bigger bolt. I have the 25 to almost where I want it as far as upgrades go and only need/want a new jib and traveler for the main to finish it off.

Do I need a bigger boat? No. With a new jib and traveler I will be happy and can have a lots of fun when I solo.

When the Admiral is with me so is our son, a 80 lb golden retriever. Then the cockpit gets a bit tight. The Admiral likes to stretch out on the starboard bench and read and Copper shares his time at her feet or next to me. He adds one more step in the thought process of any sailing maneuver. (He is always tethered in) So I solo whether I am alone or with the family.

Up to last June we always had two goldens and a dog sitter so they stayed home when we went sailing. We lost our female last June and started bringing Copper with us so he wouldn't be alone at home. Now the Admiral never wants to leave him at home. We plan on getting another girl but are waiting until after this sailing season and maybe next season we will be back to sailing dog free. Somehow I don't think see that happening, we will probably end up with two dogs in the boat.

The biggest hurdle to a different boat is Admiral buy in. She mostly comes along for the ride and doesn't have the vision that I do of what a bigger boat can offer as to comfort and space.

She just sees that we bought a working boat but I had to spend a lot of time and money on it to make me happy. I did spend a lot on things I didn't really need and actually never installed and used. I think that is just part of learning about sail boating and how to select items for a sailboat. (anybody need 1/2" Trophy Braid jib and main sheet? Doesn't fit my blocks but is easy to hold.)

She really didn’t understand the need to spend money on things like a new bottom job, electrical upgrade, standing and running rigging, things that weren’t really visible. The upgrades she did understand were the new OB, ST winches and GPS.

We’ve yet spend the night on the boat and I think that is because the cabin settees are a bit small to sleep on and the v berth too hard to get in and out of.

With all that said, I am thinking about a 27 to 28 footer with a roomy cockpit and full benches, inboard diesel only if I can control any smell, (her sense of smell is unbelievable, a whiff of diesel and she will be out of there) comfortable settees for sleeping and easy entry from the bow which mostly means side decks at least as wide as on my 25.

This boat will need to be mostly as out fitted as my 25 is now so I don’t have to start over.

A step through transom would be a real bonus.

Under consideration currently is the O’day 272 and a Hunter 280. I would like to stay within the 28’ range to help keep size related costs down.

As always I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
There are Catalina's in that size and also Bene's. I am a fan of the First 285, have a look at it and see what you think. Good luck with the "convincing" of the Admiral. There is also the O'Day 28, sailed one of those in a boat club I used to belong too. Not bad for toolin' around.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Ward, I feel your pain.

Every winter I think about upgrading. I love the lines of the beneteau First 285. But then I ask myself if I would be sailing greater distances with the larger boat. The answer for me is No. I then think of the additional cost for docking and storage. My O240 is on a trailer so I store it at the house during off season.

My wife and I have slept on the boat several times but the open plan on the 240 provides a larger sleeping area. You just have to deal with the compression post in the middle of the sleeping area. We do take our Boxer on the boat but she is smaller than your Golden.

Best of luck with your decision.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Try taking a weekend min-vacation with your wife to a few boat shows. Maybe you will see something you both like.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I guess I should count my blessings. Twice we have upgraded and the admiral suggested it first each time.

Begin by making a wish list and get her in on making the list. Then walk through what you can find for sale.
I assume you are mooring it, because if you are towing it will increase the setup and tow vehicle requirements.

One thing I've noticed: if you find a used boat with all the equipment you want, it won't cost much more than the same model of under equipped boat.

I also purchased a moisture meter to help quickly rule out problem boats. Then I purchased one with some moisture in the decks that I fixed (Go Figure.) but at least I knew what I was getting into.

Be sure to check out the SBO classifieds as well as Craig's List. http://www.yachtworld.com/ is dealer or broker listings only, so everything isn't gonna be there.
Ken

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Admiral got really mad at me on the operating costs of my previous boat (Catalina 30). She did overnight with me some but not a lot. She just really isn't into the boat as I hoped she would be.

I ended up selling the Catalina 30 because of the cost of maintenance. I am down to a Compac 23. I love the boat but constantly have thoughts of going just a little bigger. At this point in my life, with all of the stuff going on, I am probably better off staying with the 23 for a while. It is hard to go from a bigger boat to a smaller boat and it would be next to impossible to convince the Admiral to let me upgrade right now.

I have considered a Catalina 27. The cost would fall inbetween what I am doing now and what I had. The thing is that I am spending a lot on the Compac doing upgrades. It is close to where I want it but I still have some other upgrades left that I want.

What do you REALLY want to do with the boat and what are you REALLY going to do with it? There in lies the answer.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
if it were me, I would go 2 steps up, into the 35' range. (or where you will be after buying the 27' boat in a few years....)
Once you are into 33-37' range, there's a whole lot more room to live. (*depending on the boat).

Have you thought of chartering? That may open the admirals eyes to what is possible...

for a inexpensive (little bit) larger boat, I'd pick a catalina 30'

good luck!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
if it were me, I would go 2 steps up, into the 35' range. (or where you will be after buying the 27' boat in a few years....)

Ward, there is a great deal of merit in what Bill says.

My experience: 1893 to 87 with a Catalina 22, 1987 to 1998 with a C25 - sailed all over the area including the ocean and many week long trips; 1998 to present our current boat.

We deliberately skipped what I'd call the "in between" step of a C30. All it was to us, after looking hard, was a bigger C25. The C34 is a completely different boat, but with all the systems of a C30.

We never regret it. Biggest V berth, easy access to everything, super comfortable solo.

Good luck in your decision making process.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ken, ah, yes, that 1893 was a dead giveaway!

:worship::worship:

So very glad to see excellent reading comprehension! :stir::stir::stir:

For Ward:

Beware 28 footers. Most of the highest priced per foot of any builders, trying to cram big boat stuff into a smaller hull: fridge with necessary space (? hopefully --- for adequate batteries), H&C pressure water, etc. Usually rotten access - big stuff in small sspace. The C310 and 320 are exceptions but are, of course, more than 28 feet.

Some 28 footers are 27s on steroids without big boat stuff, but that's what you already have, and why we made the jump.

Make the jump.

I singlehand all the time, too, although my wife loves to sail when conditions are right (wide range, too :), but she quits having fun at 30 true. :)

Last edited:
May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
Loved my Pearson 27 and Catalina 36. If you can find a Pearson 27 that boat was the biggest 40' cabin stuffed in a 27 foot boat we ever experienced. The Catalina 36 was a 40-50 foot boat cabin stuffed into 36 feet. Both sailed wonderfully in different ways. Good luck.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
if you are concerned with your wifes input about your boat and boating future, then before getting caught up in a frenzy to upgrade and trying to convince her with dialog, you have to get your wife on a bigger boat and see how she reacts...
the reaction you get from her will let you know the direction you should go, and possibly even how fast you should move in that direction...

if money is an issue now, with a bigger and different boat it will become more so.... but sometimes, when someone cannot see the sense in "wasting" money on a smallish boat/RV that is cramped and without any chance of more comfort AFTER the money is spent, they CAN see the value in spending money on a larger boat/rv that has more comfort, and room to add more comforts in the future.... hopefully your wife is this type of person.

but what you have written so far, it would seem she has no love for the boat itself, but does have some interest in being on the water, so there is some hope that a bigger boat is the answer... I mean, really, who wouldnt love a bigger boat?:biggrin:....
if she likes to cook, the dedicated galley space on a bigger boat may be the boats way to her heart, as some women need a space that can call theirs (as chauvinistic as this may read, I dont mean it that way)..... but if she cant see it and doesnt want the adventure in trying , you still have the 25 to knock about in....

but on a personal note, I wouldnt even consider buying a bigger boat to make room for the dogs, because as much as I like dogs, they can either walk, swim or stay at the dock, because I go to my boat to relax, unwind sometimes even be a bit irresponsible for a little while, and I refuse to be a babysitter for kids, dogs, or grown ups who are being even less responsible than me... and when I get over being irresponsible, I STILL dont wanna babysit. and if my wife ever gets to where she cant tend to herself, im going to leave her home too:biggrin:...

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
If you can find a Pearson 27 that boat was the biggest 40' cabin stuffed in a 27 foot boat we ever experienced. The Catalina 36 was a 40-50 foot boat cabin stuffed into 36 feet. Both sailed wonderfully in different ways. Good luck.
what the heck does this mean????
it sounds like a line a salesman would use.. trying to tell a newbie buyer that he will have all the room and amenities of a nice 50ft yacht, all within the space of the 36ft boat hes is trying to sell... I mean, lets call a spade a spade here, cuz we all aint newbies:biggrin:...

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Stay focused on your original requirements especially if you intent to adhere to a tight, fixed budget. Although it's nice to have a bigger boat, the costs go up exponentially. Price out the cost to replace sails, hardware and docking a larger boat. The added costs to upgrade from a 28 to 35 foot boat might surprise you. Do your due diligence before you get emotionally attached to the idea of something beyond your size and budget.

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
what the heck does this mean????
it sounds like a line a salesman would use.. trying to tell a newbie buyer that he will have all the room and amenities of a nice 50ft yacht, all within the space of the 36ft boat hes is trying to sell... I mean, lets call a spade a spade here, cuz we all aint newbies:biggrin:...
Hey ... like I say to my teenage kids ... be nice

I'm not a salesman, I've raised twins from newborns on our boats, and have had two kids, two dogs, playpens and every other kid/family thing you could think of on several boats. The Pearson 27 was one of the only 27-30 foot boats in her time without a cabin bulkhead which had the effect of opening the whole center cabin. It had a reasonable sized cockpit and the cabin felt expansive. Its aft cabin was great for dogs/kids and the fore-cabin was very comfortable for a couple. The galley was great and it sailed wonderfully. When our kids became mobile we needed to move up and were challenged to find a better cabin and more space until we found the Catalina 36 MkII.

The Catalina 36 MkII had a relatively unique feature in that you could raise the center cabin table up against the bulkhead wall in effect doubling the available space in the center cabin in a matter of minutes. This tweak made the interior cabin feel larger than even 45-50 foot boats (I know, when we owned her, we went to many a boat show looking for cabins that felt larger and were challenged to do so until we reached 47-50 feet).

I don't own either anymore, am not selling a boat, and don't have anything to gain by this note other than the satisfaction of sharing a positive experience with another sailor seeking feedback.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Look at a 2000 or 2001 Hunter 290 or 306 which has a nice vee berth for 2 people to sleep
nice comfort and roomy and above hatch, the cabin has plenty room for sitting at table and kitchen nice size and rear berth is small under cockpit maybe for dogs to sleep or for storage and has stainless arch makes safe easy sailing plan and newer less repairs and walk thru stern.
I owned my 2001 290 for 5 years and was nice size and great day sailing and we did weekends also.
In 2006 I moved up to my 2007 H-36.

IAMCCF

Jun 29, 2015
ODay 28 Quincy Yacht Club
BTW.. I boat my Oday 28 down in Old Saybrook CT and sailed her up to Quincy MA in three days last June. It was more like motor/sailing but it was a great weekend. You do need to time the Cape Cod Canal just right...

Good luck!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The first part is easy. If your SO is not totally invested in the idea of an upgrade, don't. Long term its a lose-lose.

Been there, done that. Went from a Cat25 to a C&C 34, hoping that my ex would like it more. Nope. You'll get frustrated, and she'll hate the added expenses.

Mar 20, 2012
The first part is easy. If your SO is not totally invested in the idea of an upgrade, don't. Long term its a lose-lose.

Been there, done that. Went from a Cat25 to a C&C 34, hoping that my ex would like it more. Nope. You'll get frustrated, and she'll hate the added expenses.
but it seems you eventually found your way to peace and harmony... you got rid of what didnt fit into your lifestyle.
often times, for long term investment, its a much more reasonable decision than getting rid of the boat:biggrin:....