Marina's seem to hate sailboats

Apr 30, 2015
Macgregor 22 Greenwood Lake
I am new to sailing but not to boating. I purchased a 22’ Mac with plans on “trailer sailing”. I live in Northern NJ and figured Greenwood Lake would be good for learning. This was until I found out NO marina’s will let me launch a sailboat. Some say it is because of insurance issues and other say it is because it takes too long to setup the boat. I convinced one marina to let me do it once so far but they made me drop the mast while in the water.
Is this normal? Do people just launch under power and rig the boat on water? That seems unsafe to me.
Other options close to me are the Hudson River in NY or Lake Walenpaupack in PA if anyone has experience trailer sailing on them.
Thanks!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I wouldn't say it's marinas who dislike sailboats but I can see the problem with those who take a long time to rig a boat while we wait to launch our trailer powerboat. It seems subjectively that for every guy occupying the ramp while rigging, three power boats could launch in that same time span.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Thats pretty much it... when the people at the powerboat marinas hear sailboat, they think of keels rudders and masts, and as they dont understand them, they arent willing to launch them...

It dont matter in some places that you tell them its a swing keel or the mast in stowed... as we have found out in lake tahoe.

But rigging a small boat on the water is not unsafe if you are prepared for it, unless you are butterfingered and prone to dropping things, and then it gets expensive.

We stood the mast in our mac25 while in lake tahoe in 12kts of wind about 1/2 mile from shore, with the motor and autopilot pointing us directly into the waves.... and when we stowed it it was blowing 6-8 and we were again on the motor running with the wind about 5 miles from shore... its all about knowing the boat and being prepared for the task.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
In my opinion.. two possible reasons for that..

Every once in a while someone with a sailboat takes a LONG time at the ramp. The power boat folks dont know why or care, but it comes off as rude. And sometimes someone with a sailboat just doesnt care that they are tying up a ramp for a long time.

The other thing is that sailboats can be harder to control than a power boat. For example, someone just buys a sailboat (first time with a sailboat) and tries to come in to a slip in wind or current. On my particlar boat, if you keep some centeboard down plus vector the outboard thrust, its very controllable. But if you dont have the experience with this and dont have the centboard down and dont try and vector the thrust, your probably going to bang up either the dock or someone elses boats. Dock owner notices that for whatever reason, the sailboats tear up the dock more often than power boats do.

There are A hole power boaters but also A hole sailboat folks at the ramp.. my opinion.. doesnt take that many "incidents" before you see the rules like the OP mentioned. The problems (and then all sorts of rules) go up with population density..

FYI, I always make extra effort to be fast at the boat ramps.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I'm one that takes forever. I've gotten my setup time down to three hours. I would NEVER set up where I would block traffic. If no out-of-the-way place were available I just wouldn't try it there. So maybe I'm one of the considerate few.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Come on over to Lake Nockamixon in Bucks County, PA. We have a big parking lot and you can spend as much time rigging in the lot as you want. But don't dare park on the ramp and start to get your boat ready. That's a big no-no :naughty:

But, as with all boats, you should have a good plan. Get it rigged out of the way, then launch quickly and efficiently. Like, practice how to back down the ramp. Have dock lines and fenders ready to go. Make sure your motor runs well before you put in.

My buddy and I used to trailer launch his 21' powerboat all the time. We had everything worked out in advance, so by the time we pulled up to the ramp, it was a question of putting in, starting up, and getting out, and a reverse process hauling out.

I was never as mortified as one year I tried to launch the sailboat, but the centerboard was slightly down and hung up on the trailer. I eventually had someone volunteer their truck, which could get the trailer farther down into the water so the boat would float off. My only saving grace was that it was Thursday or Friday, and it wasn't crowded at the ramp like on the weekends. MORTIFIED, I tell you! :eek::eek::eek:

When I was a kid, we had a launch ramp right across from my Grandparent's beach house. It was neighborhood entertainment to watch some of the unprepared, incompetent people try to launch or haul out. I guess the experience stayed with me, and I knew I never wanted to BE the entertainment :D:D:D

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Are there power lines that require you to rig close to the ramp? I power boated for years and trailer sailed for the last 3. If my sailboat is rigged up while out of the way, it's a matter of backing it down the ramp and sliding it off. Doesn't take any longer than a power boat. If you stayed tied up to the dock doing things that can be done while out on the water then I can understand the marina's concerns.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I'm one that takes forever. I've gotten my setup time down to three hours. I would NEVER set up where I would block traffic. If no out-of-the-way place were available I just wouldn't try it there. So maybe I'm one of the considerate few.

....and that's the thing. The 26c could be done in 20 minutes flat, and the 270 can be 6 times that, but it's all about how much of an imposition it is. Burning up two hours blocking the ramp would not be a very good thing, unless you like getting into it with the ski boat types. :)

Jul 17, 2014
Hunter 23.5 Chesapeake Bay
There are definitely sailboat friendly marinas and there are powerboat friendly marinas here on the bay.

As for public ramps, I hate them and suffer from extreme ramp anxiety. Power boaters don't understand why you can't just power load your water-ballast boat and pull away. My boat is very finicky about where it sits on the trailer and needs careful adjustments to get on properly (I really don't like the design).

Of course, I don't sit on the ramp and raise my mast, etc. But it is not just as simple as backing up and tapping the brakes to launch your 14ft bass boat. :naughty:

Apr 30, 2015
Macgregor 22 Greenwood Lake
These marinas and there are like 6 of them all have areas to rig off of the ramp area but still will not allow it. You have to rent a slip.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I live in South Jersey. My prior boat was a 22 Oday. I trailered it the first year of ownership. I used a free public ramp in Somers Point, next to the route 52 bridge. Great ramp at both low and high tide. I raised the mast and rigged her in the parking lot and then backed down the ramp. The only issue is that the lot can fill up quick. If that happens there is overflow parking at an adjacent restaurant that is closed.

Not sure how far you are from that area.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
....and that's the thing. The 26c could be done in 20 minutes flat, and the 270 can be 6 times that, but it's all about how much of an imposition it is. Burning up two hours blocking the ramp would not be a very good thing, unless you like getting into it with the ski boat types. :)
Most H260 owners say they can rig theirs in an hour. Uncle Crazy Dave swears up and down he could do it in 20 minutes. I'd be happy to get it down to an hour and a half.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If Kermit gives me that South Carolina Ale of his that he once gave me, you can forget getting any mast up.

The biggest issue has always been rigging a mast at the ramp which should never occur out of respect of others who want to launch. Pick a ramp where you can rig in the parking lot and can then back the boat to the ramp and into the water. If that can happen, I would tend to think you might be able to overcome the issues where sailboats are not welcomed.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I've gotten my setup time down to three hours
I dont know Kermit.. but can just guess (being that he seems like a friendly person) that the time breakdown goes something like:

Actual rigging time = 45 minutes
Doing a lot of chatting with people while rigging = 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Total = 3 hours..

This is a problem for me at a certain ramp rigging lot where I might run into people I havent seen since the year before

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
I dont know Kermit.. but can just guess (being that he seems like a friendly person) that the time breakdown goes something like: Actual rigging time = 45 minutes Doing a lot of chatting with people while rigging = 2 hours and 15 minutes. Total = 3 hours.. This is a problem for me at a certain ramp rigging lot where I might run into people I havent seen since the year before
I am a friendly person and tend to run my mouth. But even at a ramp with no distractions it takes that long. The furler and the rigid vang add extra time but not a whole lot.

Jan 27, 2014
S2 9.2C Kemah
Do these marinas charge for launching? If they do then a sailboat taking up ramp time for three power boats equals less revenue - it's the money folks.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
When I had my Clipper Marine 23 I figured out how to raise and lower the mast on the water because that was useful to do. Sometimes I even did it to go through drawbridges that were not due to open for a while.

With the motor on, mast down and keel up you can launch and retrieve just as quickly as a power boat.

That said I never regarded launching and retrieving as worth it for a days sailing, just too much work.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Brian made a few statements that hit a chord:
But, as with all boats, you should have a good plan. Get it rigged out of the way, then launch quickly and efficiently. Like, practice how to back down the ramp. Have dock lines and fenders ready to go. Make sure your motor runs well before you put in.
Many said something like this and it makes just good sense. Try not to hold other people up is to be on the side of the angles.

With our Falcon 16 daysailer I had the stays attached to the mast so it was easy to raise the mast with the boat on the trailer and attach the forestay while in the parking lot (with no overhead power or phone lines). The boom was rigged in the boat with the main sheet so just slipped the gooseneck into the mast and the other end on the boom crotch. The 3-hp Johnson longshaft only took a couple minutes to set up (integral gas tank). With most things already in the boat and what little that was left in the trunk or back seat being transferred to the boat by my wife, remove the tiedown straps and trailer lights then the boat was ready to lunch in short order.

I was never as mortified as one year I tried to launch the sailboat, but the centerboard was slightly down and hung up on the trailer.
Had the same problem with my Falcon 16 daysailer as it would hang down just a couple inches. Rigged up a shock chord to the centerboard lever to keep it up for launching.

When I was a kid, we had a launch ramp right across from my Grandparent's beach house. It was neighborhood entertainment to watch some of the unprepared, incompetent people try to launch or haul out. I guess the experience stayed with me, and I knew I never wanted to BE the entertainment
My folks had a boat in the marina at Sausalito, California (across the Golden Gate bridge from San Francisco), and there was a restaurant right next to the boat ramp. You guessed it, getting a table with the picture windows facing the launch ramp was prime seating!

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
The quickest boat launch we ever saw was in Chesapeake City, MD. Two young lads with a PU truck and an aluminum skiff. They got out and I thought they were going to toss it in. But no way would they do it the easy way when a better idea was to be had. The smaller of the two jumped in the back of the PU inside the skiff while the other took the position behind the wheel. Yep the driver puts it into reverse and guns it. The boat occupant lurched forward. Then the driver hit the brakes hard.

Out slides the skiff and with the occupant who has now flopped over to the stern. Well it might have worked but they were two feet short of the water. After a loud slam to the ramp the driver drove to the parking area and returned with a cooler. I think the boat occupant may have lost a tooth or two and surely hit his ribs while flopping about. They both pushed the boat deeper in the water then jumped aboard and oared around the bend. I don't think it took more than a minute total.

All U Get