Tropical weight foul weather gear

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Does anyone have a recommendation on tropical weight quality foulies? All the offshore and cruising gear I find is geared toward warmth. That isn't my problem. I've got the heavy weather foulies and they work fine in 70 degrees or less, but they are so overkill in a tropical squall. I've no interest in 'rain gear' as I could be on the foredeck working or steering for hours at a time, and I want to be in a comfortable, 'breathable' material, yet stay dry.
Don't need a harness or floatation, just a good quality, lightweight, comfortable jacket that will last.
Any thoughts?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Does anyone have a recommendation on tropical weight quality foulies? All the offshore and cruising gear I find is geared toward warmth. That isn't my problem. I've got the heavy weather foulies and they work fine in 70 degrees or less, but they are so overkill in a tropical squall. I've no interest in 'rain gear' as I could be on the foredeck working or steering for hours at a time, and I want to be in a comfortable, 'breathable' material, yet stay dry.
Don't need a harness or floatation, just a good quality, lightweight, comfortable jacket that will last.
Any thoughts?
look in the golfing clothing there used to be some real good gortex clothing out there ...just like boating may be a little pricey

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
When we race in squalls in the summer, most of the crew wears dinghy gear. Very lightweight goretex Gill or Musto stuff. Cool and easy to move in. Low bulk. I personally wear a SLAM summer rain jacket (sadly no longer made), with Henri Lloyd waterproof shorts.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Have a couple of light "Nautica" jackets that have served me very well when sailing in the tropics. A squall during the day might be refreshing but at night a light jacket might be needed. The jackets are made of fabric, they breathe well and are somewhat stylish.

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
google-up an item named "Frogg-Toggs" :D

The Commodore just gifted me a full set; hard ta find in my AO, in a nifty blue no less!. Generally marketed to outdoorsman/hunters, she tripped across this set in a fishing specialty store.

Non-woven poly-something material. I suppose it's similar to some ofthe construction house-wraps. Has an embossed texture /pattern. Reasonably sized to allow outer wear under.

The buddy that recommended the product swears by them. He spends a lot of time in poorconditions outdoors four-wheeling and rock climbing vehicles, tuff use, indeed. Didja ever try to tear up/into a Tyvek envelope?! ;) We spent a weekend together this past Fall in the pouring rain. He was dry .and steaming-off as it came down!

Comparedto the usual suspects gear, ya could use this stuff as "throw-aways" and STILL be ahead of the $$ game ! Roughly $80/set. YMMV

Can't wait ta getmine out and givvum a trial :D

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
most folks here use tee shirts and board shorts.
unless you are sailing in summer in tropics, there is no need for foulies, as winter is not a precipitation time, except for a few minuets daily in afternoon in caribbe. west coast is dryville in winter.
rain is warm.
crossing oceans, rain is colder. might want a survival suit or something.
florida is not tropics. florida has precipitation all year.

if you truly NEED foul weather gear in dryville, light weight goretex is best thing i have seen, but i have yet to see anyone wearing foulies here in winter.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
most folks here use tee shirts and board shorts.
unless you are sailing in summer in tropics, there is no need for foulies,
When the squalls hit between islands (or deep sea on a crossing in the tropics), with winds hitting 35 knots plus (sometimes a good bit plus) and driving rain, I find I get pretty darned cold. Some last 45 minutes or longer, I find I am not at all comfortable in a tee shirt and board shorts. Once one is soaked to the skin, especially at night, with repetitive squalls, its just not that easy to dry out again. Personally, I take over the helm from the mindless machine in these conditions, so a bit of protection is not uncalled for.
My offshore gear is overkill, too heavy and warm, and really does not do the job as well as a lighter weight jacket would do.
We have a great dodger and Bimini, but I do not enjoy sailing in the greenhouse a full enclosure creates, so it can get a tad wet at the helm.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
when squalls hit here, it is summer or summer. if it is summer here and you are out sailing and you are hit by a squall, you will find that squall is a tropical storm or furycame, as we have NO bad weather in sailing season. this is tropical turist zone, lat 19, long 104. perfect weather in winter, storms in summer only. not even evening rains here in winter. south of us in lat 17, aka zihuatenejo, same conditions, as are same between. there are NO squalls on this coast in northern part of tropics where folks sail in winter.
is perfect weather.
i defy you to find a winter storm here other than the one in mid of night in late december.

making ocean crissings here is usually done during winter.
for those i do recommend, as i stated, survival suit. make that with flotation.
coastal sailing here is board shorts and tee.
i wore a sweat shirt 2 times and fro only hours between 0200 and 0600 when out 100 miles and sailing at dark night.
no rain, no squalls.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
I use and Id suggest a light weight Gortex, etc. lined 'anorak' by such suppliers as LLBean or Landsend, etc. Ditto too on full side-zippered ski/snow pants of the same construction ... but with large velcro'd flaps to cover the side zippers.

Buy the loose fitting, zipper fronted anorak or 'pull over' anorak at least one size larger if it will be worn over heavy winter wear.

Example of pull over type anorak: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hell...s&Ntt=anorak&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
when squalls hit here, it is summer or summer. if it is summer here and you are out sailing and you are hit by a squall, you will find that squall is a tropical storm or furycame, as we have NO bad weather in sailing season. this is tropical turist zone, lat 19, long 104. perfect weather in winter, storms in summer only. not even evening rains here in winter. south of us in lat 17, aka zihuatenejo, same conditions, as are same between. there are NO squalls on this coast in northern part of tropics where folks sail in winter.
is perfect weather.
i defy you to find a winter storm here other than the one in mid of night in late december.

coastal sailing here is board shorts and tee.
i wore a sweat shirt 2 times and fro only hours between 0200 and 0600 when out 100 miles and sailing at dark night.
no rain, no squalls.
Geez. The OP asked a legitimate question. If you don't have a legitimate answer, best not to post than to make up a reason why his question is wrong.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
With 11 or so TransPac crossings of one type or another, I can assure you that a 'survival suit. make that with flotation' would be less than useful on a tropical crossing, unless one was interested in sweating off a couple of hundred pounds of excess weight. The sail from Hawaii to Tahiti and westward across the tropical Pacific is very siimilar to Caribbean sailing except for the distances between islands.
I'm guessing from your response you have not experienced a tropical rain squall, though I find that difficult to imagine. There is often as much as 70 knots of wind in the leading edge and coupled with torrential rain, an 85 degree day becomes quite chilly, very quickly. Some last several minutes, but others can last several hours and when in the ITCZ or any other confluence of two weather systems they can march through several per hour for days.
'i defy you to' spend a comfortable four hour watch on the helm in a T shirt and board shorts in those conditions, even on the warmest summer day.

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
I'd like to add my vote on Frogg Toggs. I've had mine (and the wife her's) for probably twenty five years and it is perfect for us in the Pacific Northwest where we have an abundance of light rain.

Frog Toggs are like paper but very tough. But they are also light weight and not expensive. I love boat gear that is not expensive. At the moment it is the only foul weather gear that I carry.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
I use and Id suggest a light weight Gortex, etc. lined 'anorak' by such suppliers as LLBean or Landsend, etc. Ditto too on full side-zippered ski/snow pants of the same construction ... but with large velcro'd flaps to cover the side zippers.

Buy the loose fitting, zipper fronted anorak or 'pull over' anorak at least one size larger if it will be worn over heavy winter wear.

Example of pull over type anorak: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hell...s&Ntt=anorak&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products
Thanks for the head's up on this stuff. My only fear is that the design could make my charter guests seasick, but I guess that's their problem, if I be warm and dry. Arg.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
I'd like to add my vote on Frogg Toggs. I've had mine (and the wife her's) for probably twenty five years and it is perfect for us in the Pacific Northwest where we have an abundance of light rain.

Frog Toggs are like paper but very tough. But they are also light weight and not expensive. I love boat gear that is not expensive. At the moment it is the only foul weather gear that I carry.
Thanks.
This stuff looks great other than the elastic waistband and being so short. I'll check further, they might make something.
Down here I rarely wear pants in the squalls, I'd prefer to cover my shorts with a longer jacket.

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
+1 on frog togs, like les, its the only foul weather gear on our boat, toss it over warm clothes in winter and wear it baggy in summer and your golden

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'd be interested in ultra light rain gear for summer use here on LI - tropical climatology not applicable for me.
I looked at the web site and they say it's not woven but breathable. How? The tyvek comparison doesn't sound breathable - at least if I understand what tyvek is supposed to do. Any help here?

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
I looked at the web site and they say it's not woven but breathable. How? The tyvek comparison doesn't sound breathable - at least if I understand what tyvek is supposed to do. Any help here?
Such materials, including Goretex and its imitators, building 'wraps' (Tyvex/Typar, etc.) are stretched/fractured polymer membranes made from 'hydrophobic' (not wettable) materials such as teflonics, polypropylenes, etc. etc. After the material is made into a film, its then shock-stretched causing almost molecular sized hydrophobic 'macro-strings' (called "fibrules") to form. The controlled stretch-fracturing causes the, still hydrophobic, micro-fibrules to remain close enough to one another to be able to repel (liquid) water. To get free/liquid water to pass through such an array of 'fibrules' you need a pressure of ~60-75 psi; while vapor phase (gaseous) water can easily pass through with essentially no pressure needed, just the equilibrium differences of 'humidity' from one side to the other.

The attachment is what GoreTex looks like under extreme magnification.

:)

Attachments