Oracle boat with foils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
These boats were designed with foils. This is not an addition.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Oooooweee! We booked our flights to SF and the AC this weekend. Can't wait.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Lost interest

I have totally lost all interest in the AC. This is so far from what the rest of us have, or can afford, it just doesn't do a thing for me. The AC is no longer about sailing, it is who has the biggest bankroll. Why don't they limit this to something resembling a production boat, so us poor folks can relate.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Au Contraire, Nice N Easy... This makes for a very exciting AC. I think the fact that the boats will be moving very fast and the high risk of broaching will bring extreme sports enthusiast to the sport. I cannot wait to see this upcoming AC.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I am in between. While I would agree that it does not relate much to what we do it was amazing to watch the 45's race.

Just think about it as NASCAR or Indy! You don't drive like that. Do you?

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Match racing, and I mean true match racing, is the J24 fleets, the dingy races, and other fleets that are putting yachtsman against yachtsman, not money against money.

Still, that being said, it is entertaining to see these things. Besides, like anything else, the technology that develops will eventually filter out to the normal people. Developments in NASCAR, BAJA Races, and other things like that filters down. Let them continue to push the limits, it will open up a brave new world for all sailors.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
If you know anything about AC history you would know that it has always been about bankrolls and the latest technology. If Nat Herreshoff were alive today he would have a huge grin on his face and I have never seem a photo of him smiling.

It is ok to not like it but don't not like it because it continues as it always has been.

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
There are hundreds of monohull races every year in almost every harbour all over the world for those that love regular sailboat racing. There is the AC for those of us on the lunatic fringe as Saab use to say. I also have had 2 of those.
Ray

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
I have totally lost all interest in the AC. This is so far from what the rest of us have, or can afford, it just doesn't do a thing for me. The AC is no longer about sailing, it is who has the biggest bankroll. Why don't they limit this to something resembling a production boat, so us poor folks can relate.
I disagree entirely...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mriFkOeg_sE

While I believe Hobie stopped production a few years ago due to lack of demand, they were a genuine production boat that could foil and easily do over 20kts, single handed... the AC boats are just larger versions :)

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Why don't they limit this to something resembling a production boat, so us poor folks can relate.
Yeah! And while they're at it, why not require NFL players to be balding, overweight middle-aged men? And NASCAR to race with unmodified 2003 Ford Tauruses? 'Cause competition among highly-skilled professionals using state-of-the-art technology is boring!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Very exciting video. I thought the last AC was very exciting - even though it was hard schedule wise to catch the races. The drama of the Cat vs. the Tri was great. AC has always been about design and money. If you doubt it please read "Temple to the Wind".
My only gripe and the reason I don't watch more of it is that I rarely, if ever, have seen an actual race. All I ever get from the web sites are produced film clips with music, or interviews, or anything else but racing. I would sit and watch a race, with ads if that fits the business model, but I have no patience for mucking around the web sites.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Which is exactly why the San Francisco America's Cup will be competed right on the waterfront, view-able from the shoreline and bleachers placed there. This is going to be like Ben Hur at the Coliseum!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Where will the race be held? In the Bay or outside the Bay? I am not a big race fan and believe that racing really should not be allowed in closed waters (i.e. San Diego Bay) but am a fan of the Americas Cup and Olympic racing.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Where will the race be held? In the Bay or outside the Bay? I am not a big race fan and believe that racing really should not be allowed in closed waters (i.e. San Diego Bay) but am a fan of the Americas Cup and Olympic racing.
Right off the Marina between the shore and Alcatraz, in San Francisco Bay. There is plenty of room

Status
Not open for further replies.