AC Condensate Diversion

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
I plan on installing a syphon on the AC pump overboard discharge to collect the condensate from the Unit and keep the water from going to the bilge. I have the syphon and hose but I was wondering if anyone had a picture of a similar installation. This is the year of getting the bilge dry in the boat. :dance: Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Feb 10, 2007
Hunter Legend 40.5 Coconut Grove, FL
Hello Nodak.

I nstalled one, it is about 2 feet from the thru hull discharge on the fwd head, but instead of running the small diameter suction hose to the a/c pan, i run it to the bilge.

Since i use a/c only on shore power, if a/c running on shore, bilge dry. You can change settings and have a/c pump running on your requirements.

I'll be on the boat June 8 and take a picture.

Tantor

Dec 25, 2010
Hunter 410 LaSalle, Mi
I have both A/C discharge into shower sumps which is auto pump out. Works great.
Actually boat came from manufacturer this way.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I also diverted the A/C drains to the shower sumps. Works great an d my bilge is dry as dust.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hello Nodak.

I nstalled one, it is about 2 feet from the thru hull discharge on the fwd head, but instead of running the small diameter suction hose to the a/c pan, i run it to the bilge.

Since i use a/c only on shore power, if a/c running on shore, bilge dry. You can change settings and have a/c pump running on your requirements.

I'll be on the boat June 8 and take a picture.
Marco, if I understand you properly this is an interesting concept that I had not considered. So your syphon actually takes a suction on the bilge rather than the a/c pan? Not certain what you mean by "you can change settings and have the a/c pump running on your requirements" though. Could you clarify for me? Looking forward to your pictures though. Thanks

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
I also diverted the A/C drains to the shower sumps. Works great an d my bilge is dry as dust.
Rick, I did consider this but unfortunately it would be a very difficult hose run for both the A/C Units to get to either the fore or aft shower sumps.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Shower sumps

Rick, I did consider this but unfortunately it would be a very difficult hose run for both the A/C Units to get to either the fore or aft shower sumps.
I have to agree with the shower sump concept.
All 3 of my aircos run to the shower sumps.
Zero water in the bilge. Yes, it was a pain to run the hoses, but it is possible.
You could also consider not using sump boxes.
Go with the whale IC grey water pump. This will do an excellent job, and the hose runs will be easier.

Feb 10, 2007
Hi Nodak

My a/c pump is set to come on when the compressor comes on. I believe you can have it on on diferent times/settings.

Yes the run of the small hose took some dissasemby, but by choice. You could install the venturi next to the pump and have the hose to the bilge a short run.

The advantage i believe it provides suction below the level of the bilge pump / float switch, keeping the bilge dryer when it is in operation.

Mar 25, 2010
Hunter 34 Rose Haven MD
Marco Garcia - do you get back flow when the A/C pump shuts down or did you put in a one way valve? I would think anything above the siphon and in the hose from bilge would drain back into the bilge.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
I installed a Mermaid Condensator this year in our AC unit. The siphon hose runs right into the AC pan. It keeps it almost dry, is silent, and so far has been trouble free. It was on sale at Defender for half price last fall when I bought it, otherwise expensive. In older posts others have mentioned inexpensive plastic alternatives to this product.
Bob

Feb 10, 2007
Nodak, No I have not heard it. I guess I would have to pay attention to it, as the pump and compressor, although "quiet" still make noise. I will be on the boat June 8th, by June 10 I will give you a report. will send pics and listen to it.

I am not sure in your 41, but the 40.5 bilge is deeper than 2 feet, so the suction on that small hose is not that noisy ( i believe)

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Nodak, No I have not heard it. I guess I would have to pay attention to it, as the pump and compressor, although "quiet" still make noise. I will be on the boat June 8th, by June 10 I will give you a report. will send pics and listen to it.

I am not sure in your 41, but the 40.5 bilge is deeper than 2 feet, so the suction on that small hose is not that noisy ( i believe)
Well here is my version of the project and it works well. The last item is the suction at the pan. My plan is to put a aquarium "air stone" on the end to keep material from being picked up by it.

Attachments

May 4, 2011
Hunter 38 Arnold Md
This is a project I was starting, but I was going to install a new sump just for the condensate. The syphon idea mentioned sounds easier. What type of syphon (part number) did you use? Is there any fear of water coming back into boat if someone leaves the through hall open while under sail? The discharge line may be under water while healing over.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
This is a project I was starting, but I was going to install a new sump just for the condensate. The syphon idea mentioned sounds easier. What type of syphon (part number) did you use? Is there any fear of water coming back into boat if someone leaves the through hall open while under sail? The discharge line may be under water while healing over.
Dale here is the information it costs $14.99. Though I just installed this and have not had the boat heeled to that side yet I did try to blow into the discharge to see how much air would come out of the syphon tube. I could get no air to come out so, as we speak, I have no concerns about heeling to that point. The only concern that I have is the restriction on the pump discharge and the reduction in water flow. There is still a good water discharge and the AC/Heater functions with no problems so at this all is good.

1/2 Inch Injector Venturi Aerator Injection Manifold for Spa Pool Aeration
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TSABP8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

May 4, 2011
Hunter 38 Arnold Md
Thank you for the quick response. The other issue I was reading was that if the outflow were to be blocked (valve closed?) water could flow from the pump side (if running) through the Venturi into the AC sump, flooding the boat. Not that I get nervous or anything, but like to know the possibilities of my demise ;-) Perhaps a check valve on the sump line to prevent either case is a good measure. Has anyone thought about, or done this?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Thank you for the quick response. The other issue I was reading was that if the outflow were to be blocked (valve closed?) water could flow from the pump side (if running) through the Venturi into the AC sump, flooding the boat. Not that I get nervous or anything, but like to know the possibilities of my demise ;-) Perhaps a check valve on the sump line to prevent either case is a good measure. Has anyone thought about, or done this?
Dale, I have checked and either way there is no flow out of the suction line. So if it were to be blocked in or the boat heeled over it looks like you are safe from water entry into the boat. The one thing I would do if I were to do it over is to make the venturi a 3/4" rather than a 1/2". The aquarium aerator seems like a great idea to keep the suction at the bottom of the collection pan and at the same time keep material (rust, dirt, etc.) from being sucked into the venturi.