Wtf? Why? Really? Unbelievable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Cherubini 37c HULL#37 Alameda
So I'm planing a trip out to the Farallon Islands and doing some research on the net. Its an amazing place some call the Galapagos of California. Then I find this. http://ludb.clui.org/ex/i/CA3160/

This kind of crap scares the hell out of me . I grew up in San Francisco and had no idea. Are humans really that stupid ? We don't have to worry about global warming, the US government (AKA World Police) is and always has been the biggest threat to the health of human beings & our planet. When asked about it ,they just play stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
If you think that's bad, look at Hanford

Hanford has had nuclear "plumes" all over the place that they have been trying to "clean up". Nuclear material has been put in and stored in containers for years - and the containers leak.

Now some of the nuclear plumes have been spilling into the Columbia River.

The "cleanup" at Hanford has been going on for years and years, costing millions and millions of dollars.

How do you "clean up" nuclear waste???

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
PK: You grew up in the SF Bay area and never knew about the nuclear waste at the Farallon's?

You should blame this on your parents from keeping you soooo sheltered.

What is your purpose for going out there to begin with? It is just some big rocks covered with bird shit. Quite often it is a VERY rough ride going out there. I suggest you consider Half Moon Bay for a good trip. A couple hours down the coast and you can tie up to get a good meal and spend the night.

Last trip we made to the Farallon's had 6'-8' seas every 6 seconds. It is a good way to find out what is loose on your boat! <g>

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
PK: You grew up in the SF Bay area and never knew about the nuclear waste at the Farallon's?
Yeah, I can still remember Graham Nash talking about this during the interview clips in 1979 No-Nukes concert video, and I'm from the East coast.....

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Wtf indeed. We have a legacy of lax enforcement of pollution laws in our recent history; PCB's in the Hudson River, raw sewage, fish kills in the LI Sound and dead zones in the Chessy and Gulf Coast below NO and everyone remembers (or should) when the Cuyahoga river caught fire back in the (was it) 60's. I gather that China is suffering a bit from lax pollution enforcement at the moment as their industrial base seems more important then ... well, clean air and water.
Why are most of the solar panels that we boaters like to boast about on our 'green' boats made in China? Because the Chinese gov't does not impose restrictions on reprocessing the toxic by products of the process that the US does. There was an interesting 'news' article I read on this subject posted on some sailing forum - I can't find it now.
I came across this link that I suspect is a bit shrill if not left of center about the Chessy and nukes: http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=16866
Nowhere in the article did I see a PPM (parts per million) reading on radioactive material in the Chessy. My suspicion is that the Farallon Islands would give a worse count on a Geiger counter then the Chessy.
Hanford has been on the top 10 list of the no-nukes list of vulnerable sites since I was in college. In NYC we have Indian Point about 30 miles north of a rather large population area and they have plumes too.
There are all kinds of other pollution that is lurking about that is not radio active. It might be interesting to get a Geiger counter for while cruising.
OTOH, almost anyone can post news 'stuff' on the internet so buyer beware. See, I'm posting 'stuff' for the world to read right now and what are my credentials?
CSNY were pretty amazing musically back then but have not aged that well, IMHO.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I believe that PK knows about this, but it was so horrible that his mind has blocked it out!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
.... the US government is and always has been the biggest threat to the health of human beings & our planet. When asked about it ,they just play stupid.
You're wrong, pk... they're not playing.

Jul 29, 2009
Irwin 37 c.c. Cutter indian rocks beach, fl.
"The radioactive blast debris from 839 U.S. underground nuclear test explosions remains buried in-place and has been judged impractical to remove by the DOE's Nevada Site Office." This is from wikipedia. This is for Nevada only! Many more in the Pacific, Colorado, Alaska. This one in 1962, exposed 11 million(11,000,000) people to radiation.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_(nuclear_test). I was 2 years old. Our own government is more of a menace to us than any number of terrorists'. Tests continued thru 1992. Also visit Wikipedia the Pacific Proving Grounds...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Proving_Grounds Maybe I will just stay in the Gulf of Mexico with only the tar balls to worry about :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.