Wood species

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hello,

I am a woodworker of modest skill. the wood trim around the companionway of my 1993 Capri 18 is damaged. I removed all of it, and I’m now considering that replacing all of it might be a bit of a stretch for me. The companionway threshold (for lack of anything better to call it) is made from a single piece of stock and features several compound angle cuts and curves.

The ones that are most damaged are also the easiest to reproduce, the complicated ones are in the best shape, and probably could be vastly improved with some scraping and sanding.

Does anyone have any idea what species these pieces would be?image.jpgimage.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Teak is always a go to wood for its resistance to water damage.

There is no magic wood. You can use what you like. I have Iron Wood on my threshold/companion way. It serves the purpose.

You can use hard wood. Just protect it from the elements, and be ready to rebuild if wear and whether age the wood.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Looks like teak to me. Matching teak can be difficult because there are many varieties. As much as possible try removing the old finish and reusing the wood.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If you hang around some wooden boat building sites, you'll see a bewildering assortment of woods which will work for the repair or building of boats. A lot are not available in a particular locale. Others may not have the physical properties suitable for your application. But you do not have to limit yourself to what was used before.
For complicated shapes lamination may be the easiest way. Offcenterharbor has videos regarding laminating curves that couldn't be done with steaming and often they use the humble Douglas fir. There's as much epoxy in these members as wood but they are successful.
You get a few videos for free but look at "Building the Ahoha, part 7" for some instruction on lamination.

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Why not reach out to Warren Pandy at Catalina (727) 544-6681. Quite possible they either have blanks on hand or can make them with all of the compound cuts.

It costs nothing to reach out and ask...

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Thanks for the advice everyone!

i Think I’ll try to reuse what I have. The ones that are damaged I can try to fill with epoxy thickened with wood flour. They will have some minor scars, but scars give us character, don’t they?

I’ve built two boats (cedar strip canoe, and passagemaker dinghy), what I’ve learned from mistakes is that your eye forgives scars that are darker than the surrounding wood, but the lighter one jump out at you!

@shemandr I don’t think lamination is the answer here, “compound curves” might not be the best description. More accurate to say the fiberglass mounds came first, then the wood was carved to fit. I think a lot of very precise table saw work and some cuts with a pull saw, then probably lots of filing and shaping. Again, I think trying to reuse the old ones is the best first step. It might not look like a brand new boat, but it could look like a nice 30 year old boat.

@sailme88 i’ll definitely reach out and see if catalina has anything, that’s a great idea. I checked the treasure trove of used parts on the market, and I’ve checked catalina direct and the chandlery associated with this site.

thanks again for your input.
happy new year all!

john

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
"The ones that are damaged I can try to fill with epoxy thickened with wood flour. "

As an alternative, you can use a "dutchman patch" to replace the damaged wood - will look much better than filler. Look it up, you just need a sharp chisel.