Winch Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lee Calton

'89 Capri 22, wing keel, race package The starboard jib winch popped off yesterday after a tack in 18 knots of wind when I was pulling in the sheet on the 155 genoa under a little bit of pressure! (Yeah, but we were having a great time!) The winch body came straight up and off of the base and luckily landed in the cockpit with me. There seemed to be a few small particles of hard, white plastic material that had disentegrated from somewhere in the body - don't know what they were for. The pawls were still in the housing and intact. The winch body was separate from a center section that the outer drum rotated around. (Sorry about the descriptions here, first time to see the inside of a winch!). Was able to get the body back down over the base and the outer drum seemed to be secure. The separate section in the middle/center of the winch assembly was able to be lifted up out of the assembly about 3/8" - something that I've not noticed happening before. Got back okay by be being careful to keep downward pressure on the sheet running around the winch. It operated just like it's supposed to - ratcheting and all that. Obviously don't have the assembly locked down like it should be. Any suggestions where to begin the repair process? Any schematics on-line to refer to? Thanks, Lee

R

Rob

Snap Ring

If your winches are like mine, you are missing a snap ring, which holds the Drum (outer part of the winch) onto the internal section, which contains the shaft and gears. Check out Lewmar on the web, as they have schematics. If not, I can e-mail you some pictures of when I tore mine down. Best Regards, Rob Rich

L

Lee Calton

Thanks Rob!

Yep, found the Lewmar site, looked at their diagram and I agree with you, it's probably the snap ring. 'Preciate your help . . . Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.