Who's got the biggest, (heaviest) trailerable boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 260 Sarasota,FL
Truly practical is the key measure of this question. I did the research a couple years ago for our needs and bought a used Hunter H260. Now discontinued due to mfg costs, you can find good used newer ones with wheel steering plenty of room inside and a trailer in the low to mid $20's. There is great support, it's a capable boat and underrated only by those who've never sailed one that is properly equipped or captained.

Heaviest?? Does this really mean regularly trailered. I doubt if you meant that. Our 260 trailers very well and can be set up in under an hour...really. It launches at nearly any ramp and I don't use a trailer extension. We sail it off shore with confidence, fully aware of its limits and can still gunk hole in an anchorage under 2' deep. Many have done the Bahamas, the great loop or Baja while they'll daysail and entertain guests with gusto too.

This is not in the same league as a macgregor(no offense intended) nor does it cost nearly as much as a Hake trailerable. It is an exceptionally well thought out design that can be provisioned to go nearly anywhere a coastal cruiser would wander or as simply as any daysailing trailerboat. Our mast step system is too easy with a 12v atv winch w/remote I can safely step it on the water solo in minutes w/o any strain at all.

I occaisionally get four-foot-itis but soon realize the disadantage of having a boat that can't flee a hurricane at 65mph in any direction or the inability to sail virtually any lake or bay in the time it takes to merely drive there.....but that's a trailer sailors best asset and I'm only preachin' to the choir;).

Good luck in your search.
Michael and Kelli

Attachments

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
I would note that not all boats that can be transported via trailer are trailerable boats...

IMHO, a trailerable boat is launchable via the trailer at a boat ramp, and does not require a travellift or crane to launch the boat. That would also exclude boats that can not step their masts without outside assistance. So, while a J/24 can be transported on a reasonably small trailer... it is not a trailerable boat.

Nov 15, 2008
Compac 23D Somerset
While certainly not the 'biggest', my Com-Pac 23 diesel is well within our comfort zone for ramp launching, relative ease of setup (2 hours of patient rigging), and balance on the water. I am finding 4' of water at the ramp-end fairly easy to come by and strap launch her when the slope is too shallow. My mate glided 'Jubilation 'onto the trailer with just the tops of the bunk boards showing and I was able able to winch her in quite easily. So bigger might be doable, but repeated launching and retrieving needs to be enjoyable. 'Jubilation ' lives on a trailer in deep south Texas. It's actually going down to the 30's tonight.

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
Buying gets it backward....

You find the perfect boat for $2700. Great deal... A Cherry '60's vintage boat.... Insurance is cheap, too...!!!

then... well... you nee to pull it... so you go and get the new diesel HD2500 or 3500.... there goes 35 - 50K....

Then you have to find a trailer... but there isn't one used... so there you go for for another $7.5-10K...

and then there is the stuff to go with it... (!!!! West Marine Prospers !!!)

-- so... instead of starting at the boat.. think you might ask yourself what you are going to tow it with and what you are going to tow it on....

Mac26s look pretty good by that point.....

That all said... If you had the 45 foot Hunter.. you SURE would want a Tow plan to get it out of the water and on a trailer - if you were on the Gulf Coast...

In that case... well... used Big Rigs are not too expensive... Trailers for same aren't bad... and you could get a custom stand welded pretty inexpensively... so you might say - 40000 pounds - 55' long?? (ie, a Hunter 54 - but a lot more weight?)

have fun looking!!!!

--jr

Jansen

Jan 20, 2007
McGregor 26S Mobile, AL
Re: Ericson 25

How does the Ericson 23 compare with the 25? There's one for sale at my club.

Jun 16, 2004
- - -
not in the same league...

"This is not in the same league as a macgregor(no offense intended) nor does it cost nearly as much as a Hake trailerable."

You are correct soling. My mac 26s boat cost way less, I go everywhere you can, typically sail by boats like yours, and can trailor there for less dough.

The 260 seems like a very nice boat...I esp. like the interior better than mine. It also has thicker hulls and hardware. But my 26s has handled everything I have put it through. Many times I leave the dock/maina when others, seeing thewhitecaps, stay away. When you throw a generic "league" difference out there you are excluding a long list of plus and minus's...

Having added a racing main, idarudder, and traveler; I find that much of the time I am the fastest cabin boat in my size range...for many thousands of dollars less invested!

sloopy

Nov 22, 2008
Cape Dory 25 25 San Diego
My Cape Dory 25 and her trailer probably weigh around 5,500# but that's nothing compared to my friend's Cheoy Lee 25. His rig totals more than 10,000#. See it at this link. He's presently in San Carlos area enjoying the Sea of Cortez, MX.
http://sailing-sumatra.livejournal.com
Fair winds to all,
Sloopy

Oct 22, 2008
Again, is it a boat on a trailer that requires a travel lift to launch it, or is it a trailerable boat that can be launched from the trailer. In the case of a CD25 or CL25, I seriously doubt that they're trailer launchable. In the case of either, I'd bet that you can't get the boat on or off the trailer without a travel lift.

Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
Certainly, you can trailer launch a Cape Dory 25 or Cheoy Lee 25. As I said in my first post; I dry sail my Bristol 24, which weighs about 6000#, and draws about the same as the CD 25 or CL25. It's not even that difficult to pull the boat out of the water with a 3/4, or 1 ton pickup. A well designed trailer and some common sense works wonders. The biggest challenge is stepping a heavy mast short handed. The Cheoy Lee might need a 4wd 1 ton to handle the weight.

I noticed a 30' Luger Voyager on an auction site. It is about 7000#, and a ketch, so the masts are not too big. It has a beam of 8', so it's legal on any road. It has a 3' draft with a 6' center board, so it's launchable. Anyone ever sailed one?

Nov 30, 2008
Hunter Hunter 28, Catalina 250 LaConner, WA, Monterey CA, Lake Tahoe, CA
I just joined this new forum, which is why the slow reply.

I Had a Mac 26 classic water ballast which I towed From British Columbia to The sea of Cortez. I presently have a Catalina 250 water ballast which I also have towed all over for the past 8 years. I recently purchased a Hunter 28 and had a trailer built for it in San Diego CA. I was able to tow the Mac with my Dodge Dakota, but for the Catalina 250 and the Hunter I have switched to a Ford Super Duty with a 7.2 liter Diesel motor.

I would like to hear from other "big boat" trailer sailers to compare experiences and solutions to any difficulities.

skipperpaul

Jan 6, 2009
Pacific Seacraft Orion 27 New Orleans
Pacific Seacraft Orion 27

My boat is a PSC Orion, I went across scales after a hurricane (boat was not prepped for trailering) boat, truck & trailer went 26,500! We had too much fuel and water aboard but with everything empty we still weigh 25,200. It is a special built goose neck trailer designed for my boat by the previous owner. No wet launchs, and wide load permits galore make it very expensive to move, but we have moved it from Flordia to south Louisiana. It is on the trailer now with a major refit at home. Very nice to move your cruising area at 55 mph! We have sailed as far south of New Orleans as Belize. When we travel we are the smallest cruising boat in the anchorage and the largest trailer boat at the truck stop! Not practical to call it trailerable, but transportable.

New to the forum
Thanks to All

Jay

Bob V

Mar 13, 2008
Catalina 42mkII Lagoon Point
Well if it doesn't have to wet launch...

and wide load fees aren't an issue...does my C42 count?

Attachments

• 31.6 KB Views: 627
Oct 22, 2008
Bob—

There's a difference between a trailerable boat and a boat on a trailer... Get a big enough trailer and we could put the Maltese Falcon on it... but it still wouldn't be a trailerable boat. :)
and wide load fees aren't an issue...does my C42 count?

Bob V

Mar 13, 2008
Catalina 42mkII Lagoon Point
Bob—

There's a difference between a trailerable boat and a boat on a trailer... Get a big enough trailer and we could put the Maltese Falcon on it... but it still wouldn't be a trailerable boat. :)
You got me on a technicality. She is a bitch to launch.

Next I suppose you have some issue with my housetrailer.

:D

Attachments

Oct 29, 2008
Montgomery 17 Dothan, Al
I saw in the first few post the mention of a Southerly 32. I looked around one of these at a boat show and they are amazing! Extremely nice and huge on the inside.

But, I'm pretty sure new, they are around $135k-$160k pretty expensive.

Apr 4, 2009
Lancer 28 Lake Mead, Nevada
I have a Lancer 28 that I set up for towing and launching on boat ramps using my Dodge truck. It takes 2 people to launch and retrieve, and about 3 hours from start to finish. Not too bad, really. See my photo albums.

Attachments

Apr 22, 2008
Hunter 26 Boca Raton
I have a 96 Hunter H26. I pull it with a 1/2 ton Chevy truck. I sail most of the time with my daughter and she is 5, so I have to do the set up. I can have it in the water with the mast up, sails on and ready to go in less then 30 min. It is a great trailerable boat. I have put A/C in it and a 40 gal water tank so now the wife will go on a trip to the Bahamas on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.