Where to buy quality running rigging at a good price?

ctrout

Jun 29, 2021
Catalina 22 C.J. Strike
I just picked up a new to me C25 and she needs a bit of freshening up. I'm thinking of getting some new running rigging, as the current stuff is pretty old, dingy, and worn. I priced a new mainsheet line from Catalina direct and they want $123 for 75 feet of double braided 3/8 polyester/dacron. I found 100 feet of double braid polyester on Amazon for $60. It's made by Blue Ox but I have no idea about the quality from this manufacturer. Who makes good rope at a reasonable price and where is the best place to buy it?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Rope is a commodity. There are many outlets in the US or Canada. Spec Dacron 3/8 diameter line and compare the prices. Choose a source that will deliver in a timely manner.

I have bought line from WM when on deep sale, Fisheries Supply, and a shop that sells to Arborists and the timber industry. Depends on who has the product at an acceptable price.

Fisheries is offering
$1.03/ft MARLOW 10MM (3/8IN) Blue Ocean Doublebraid - Marble Blue
SKU: 444760 Item ID: MAR KB4541
12 Strand Polyester Core
Braided Poly 24 Plait Cover
100% Recycled Plastic Bottles

$1.09/ft NEW ENGLAND ROPE
Sta-Set, White w/ Red Fleck, 3/8" (10mm)
SKU: 1014000 Item ID: NER C2111-12-00600
Cover: Braid polyester
Core: Braided polyester
Performance double braid

$0.83/ft MARLOW
10 mm Double Braid Line, White/Green Tracers
SKU: 1017874 Item ID: MAR KB2027
Strength & stretch
Easy to splice
Flexible

Just to share some options.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Probable that you will need eye splices on one end of your halyards. If you are not capable of splicing double braid or don’t want to purchase the fids & take the time to learn how to splice, better to purchase from a supplier that can prepare the splices for you. So, shop around; the supplier that offers the best price may not have a splicing service. If you purchase in bulk, you’re going to have to splice it yourself or have to find someone locally to prep the splices for you. I have spliced double braid, it is time consuming; one of those things that you have to do a bunch of times to become proficient.

ctrout

Jun 29, 2021
Catalina 22 C.J. Strike
Probable that you will need eye splices on one end of your halyards. If you are not capable of splicing double braid or don’t want to purchase the fids & take the time to learn how to splice, better to purchase from a supplier that can prepare the splices for you. So, shop around; the supplier that offers the best price may not have a splicing service. If you purchase in bulk, you’re going to have to splice it yourself or have to find someone locally to prep the splices for you. I have spliced double braid, it is time consuming; one of those things that you have to do a bunch of times to become proficient.
Why must the halyards have eye splices? None of the halyards on my previous boats, nor any replacement halyards that I have purchased from CD have had them.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sorry to burst a bubble...It is not about looks or even style it is about the way a line functions.

I am not one to encourage the use of a spliced eye to haul up a sail on a 22 ft boat. The splice means a bury of the line to close the loop. A splice means you have 6-8" of line that is fatter than the line diameter. It also means a single bend around the shackle in the loop (a point of weakness to the line).

The rough and tumble bowline knot is strong and bulky. If you do not tie down the tail it can flap in the air. Some suggest it can work the knot open when exposed for long periods. This means to secure the bowline you wrap it to the running line, with a whipping.

Better, but in both cases you consume a foot or more of line that is loose and loopy.

That is why some clever seaman with time on his hands developed the "Halyard Hitch". It is a compact secure knot that retains the strength of the line yet bites the line locked and secure. Sure you mey need a marlinspike to remove the knot, to better a sharp knife to cut off the 6 or so inches to free the halyard for replacement or maintenance. It is the knot encouraged to secure your halyard to a shackle to lift your sail into place at the top of the mast and NOT get tangled or jammed in the sheave.

Looks like this
1666880925654.png

Advantages: The Halyard Hitch Knot is extremely compact which makes it an admirable choice for a halyard.
Disadvantages: This Halyard Hitch Knot cannot be tied or untied under load and, after being heavily loaded, it can be hard to release.
How to tie it.

I personally like a little longer tail for the knot to bite on.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
All of my running rigging has been purchased from here. I never went to West Marine or Defender. SBO has been very helpful in determining what I needed in the way of Halyards, but also sheets.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Sorry to burst a bubble...It is not about looks or even style it is about the way a line functions.

I am not one to encourage the use of a spliced eye to haul up a sail on a 22 ft boat. The splice means a bury of the line to close the loop. A splice means you have 6-8" of line that is fatter than the line diameter. It also means a single bend around the shackle in the loop (a point of weakness to the line).

The rough and tumble bowline knot is strong and bulky. If you do not tie down the tail it can flap in the air. Some suggest it can work the knot open when exposed for long periods. This means to secure the bowline you wrap it to the running line, with a whipping.

Better, but in both cases you consume a foot or more of line that is loose and loopy.

That is why some clever seaman with time on his hands developed the "Halyard Hitch". It is a compact secure knot that retains the strength of the line yet bites the line locked and secure. Sure you mey need a marlinspike to remove the knot, to better a sharp knife to cut off the 6 or so inches to free the halyard for replacement or maintenance. It is the knot encouraged to secure your halyard to a shackle to lift your sail into place at the top of the mast and NOT get tangled or jammed in the sheave.

Looks like this
View attachment 210451

Advantages: The Halyard Hitch Knot is extremely compact which makes it an admirable choice for a halyard.
Disadvantages: This Halyard Hitch Knot cannot be tied or untied under load and, after being heavily loaded, it can be hard to release.
How to tie it.

I personally like a little longer tail for the knot to bite on.
I just replaced three halyards and used halyard hitches. They work well. I think better than bowlines or splices for the reasons jsailem mentions.
And I think they look "nautier" too. Whatever that means.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Rope is a commodity. There are many outlets in the US or Canada. Spec Dacron 3/8 diameter line and compare the prices. Choose a source that will deliver in a timely manner.
So does that mean all 3/8" Dacron rope is equivalent no matter who made it?

I ordered some Sta-Set once and was sent a brand I didn't recognize. I sent it back for two reasons, One because I thought I got baited and switched (which ticked me off) and two because I didn't really know if the rope sent was really up to the standards of the name brand.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Why must the halyards have eye splices? None of the halyards on my previous boats, nor any replacement halyards that I have purchased from CD have had them.
if you have in mast roller furling, you will know that a knot will jam the furler. A tapered eye with whipping is more compact and will not jam the furler.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Not all 3/8" Dacron (proprietary polyester) rope is the same. For control line Samson XLS3 or New England equivalent is a polyester/polyester double-braid rope which offers moderate stretch, high strength and easy handling. For hayards and topping lift Samson XLS Extra (24-strand braided polyester cover with a braided core made from a blend of Multifilament Polypropylene over polyester and Dyneema SK-75) or New England Viper (braided polyester jacket with a Dyneema® core) or equivalent which offers low stretch since you do not want your sails or boom to slump while sailing. That is what I use.

Last edited:

ctrout

Jun 29, 2021
Catalina 22 C.J. Strike
if you have in mast roller furling, you will know that a knot will jam the furler. A tapered eye with whipping is more compact and will not jam the furler.
By in-mast roller furling it seems that you would be referring to mainsail furling. Was that an option on Catalina 25s?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
For an in-mast continuous line you want a spliced low stretch line without lumps. For halyards and control lines suggest an eye at one for attaching a shackle with the other end whipped end.

Last edited: