What do you cook with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Dancing bear. they are safe. The plumbers use them all the time with no accidents.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
I had two leak on me last season alone...so I left the canisters attached to the BBQ grill on the stern rail. Most plumbers I know use similar propane canisters for torches, and don't remove them until they're empty. My point is that they shouldn't be removed from the grill/stove when not in use, since that seems to be the problem—not that they shouldn't be used.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
In my former 23 foot trailer sailor, I used the Coleman liquid fueled (white Gasoline) stove in the slip or at anchor but not underway. Spare fuel was carried in the nice Sigg spun aluminum containers that seal very well. The stove was set under the companionway so that ventilation was not a problem and it could be taken out into the cockpit and used on a cockpit table.. A pretty good setup with lots of heat.. I was comfortable with the stove because it had accompanied me on many river trips by kayak.. Today my boat has a 3 burner Propane with oven .. Lots easier to use and has safety features.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Propane gas and gasoline gas I beleive are both heavier than air and will sink (and nicely settle in the hull of a boat).

Im not positive about alchohol gas (think it might be ligher than air) but what about butane? Proabably easy to look up but someone here likely knows.

Jun 4, 2004
Kokomo Beach
Another 'Amen' for Origio alcolhol stoves. They are really great, and safe. I've had no problem with not enough heat from them.
I had a 2-burner on my O'Day 240, and have a one-burner on my O'Day 222. I made a cool gimbal for the stove on the 240, but found it unecessary for dockside cooking. ...cooked many-a-meal on the 2-burner, and the one-burner will be getting more usage as time goes on.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Propane gas and gasoline gas I beleive are both heavier than air and will sink (and nicely settle in the hull of a boat).

Im not positive about alchohol gas (think it might be ligher than air) but what about butane? Proabably easy to look up but someone here likely knows.
Walt,
The good thing about alcohol is that a fire can be extinguished with water. I think that this could happen with a pressurized alcohol stove, but I don't think the chances are too great of a fire occurring on a non-pressurized stove, and if it did occur, the water would put it out. Alcohol is getting expensive now, though. They want almost $30.00 a gallon for it at "Worst Marine." I can buy denatured alcohol for $5.00 a quart in Benny's Dept. Store. It's the same stuff.
Joe

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Another 'Amen' for Origio alcolhol stoves. They are really great, and safe. I've had no problem with not enough heat from them.
I had a 2-burner on my O'Day 240, and have a one-burner on my O'Day 222. I made a cool gimbal for the stove on the 240, but found it unecessary for dockside cooking. ...cooked many-a-meal on the 2-burner, and the one-burner will be getting more usage as time goes on.
Way to go Jon! :D I love my Origos too.
Joe

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I had two leak on me last season alone...so I left the canisters attached to the BBQ grill on the stern rail. Most plumbers I know use similar propane canisters for torches, and don't remove them until they're empty. My point is that they shouldn't be removed from the grill/stove when not in use, since that seems to be the problem—not that they shouldn't be used.
I don't see a problem with the canister grills, Dog. Do you know if they still prohibit grills on boats at the Cuttyhunk Island slips in the Frog Pond? I haven't been there in years so I really don't know if they have changed their policies. I got to meet the head of the Electric Dept. His name was Bill Jenkins. That whole island was run on 6 of 8 Detroit Diesel engines with a primary voltage of 440 Volts, and everything was underground including Aerial transformers in vaults. I want to go back there some day before I croak. I just answered my own question about the grills at the dock on Cuttyhunk.
Joe

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 22, 2008
All of the fuels, other than CNG, which is primarily methane, are heavier than air in gaseous form and can collect in the bilges or cabin of a boat, and may, in high enough a concentration, pose a fire or explosion hazard. This includes propane, butane, diesel, gasoline, alcohol, and kerosene.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Dust is also an explosion hazard. Whether it be wood, flour, starch, sugar, or metal. Enough suspended in the air and it will go bang.

Jun 3, 2004
Prindle 18, beach catamaran Chicago (North Edgebrook), IL
Non-dairy creamer too, extremely flammable, be very careful.

Benny

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 320 Tampa, FL
The 1 lb propane canisters are quite safe. In years of RVing and boating I have not found one that leaked. I have an adapter and have been refilling the small tanks and reusing them. The only problem is that I cannot get back into the tank the same amount of liquid as the manufacturer does. The empty tank needs to be cooled and my wife does not like them in the fridge. Your nose can tell you immediately wether the valve seal is good or not.

J

Jon Golliher

I have an old Origo 6000 alcohol stove. I lit the burners for the first time this week. The right burner burns mostly blue. The left burns mostly yellow. They had quite a stink too. Never used an alcohol stove. Do they usually stink? I figure to burn them a bit to clean them. Hope something just spilled on 'em and when it burns off, they'll stop stinking. What do you think?
You shouldn't be seeing any color at all with alcahol! Apparently there is something on both burners that is causing the stink and also the color. Should be ok after burning off
I'd think.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Shooter the yellow is probably sodium orange from some table salt on the burner. The pale blue is normal.The likely source for the salt is a boil over.

J

Jon Golliher

Shooter the yellow is probably sodium orange from some table salt on the burner. The pale blue is normal.The likely source for the salt is a boil over.
Mine has never shown any pale blue color that I can see anyway. Wish it did enough to see it burning at least. I've burned off a few hairs on my fingers because I couldn't see it. :redface:

Do you use stove fuel or denatured alcohol? I know they're the same but....

Fair winds,
Jon

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
In bright sunlight I can't see the flame on my propane stove but in the shadow and at night it is the charactaristic blue.

J

Jon Golliher

In bright sunlight I can't see the flame on my propane stove but in the shadow and at night it is the charactaristic blue.

Propane stove?....:confused: Typo maybe?

Fair winds,
Jon

Oct 22, 2008
Be aware that while you can use water to put out alcohol fires, you have to be very careful when doing so, since it takes a lot of water to do so properly. Water is NOT a recommended method for combating alcohol fires, unless it is in the form of HEAVY SPRAY. The reason for this is simple, alcohol is still quite a decent fuel down to about 40% by volume, as you can easily test by trying to ignite any 80 proof liquor.

What can happen, and is well documented in BoatUS's book Seaworthy, is that pouring water on an alcohol fire can move the fire instead of extinguishing as the flames "float" on the water/alcohol mixture and then move down into the bilge but continue burning—igniting the boat in the process. You're generally far better off using a fire blanket to extinguish small alcohol fires for this reason.

Walt,
The good thing about alcohol is that a fire can be extinguished with water. I think that this could happen with a pressurized alcohol stove, but I don't think the chances are too great of a fire occurring on a non-pressurized stove, and if it did occur, the water would put it out. Alcohol is getting expensive now, though. They want almost $30.00 a gallon for it at "Worst Marine." I can buy denatured alcohol for $5.00 a quart in Benny's Dept. Store. It's the same stuff.
Joe

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Be aware that while you can use water to put out alcohol fires, you have to be very careful when doing so, since it takes a lot of water to do so properly. Water is NOT a recommended method for combating alcohol fires, unless it is in the form of HEAVY SPRAY. The reason for this is simple, alcohol is still quite a decent fuel down to about 40% by volume, as you can easily test by trying to ignite any 80 proof liquor.

What can happen, and is well documented in BoatUS's book Seaworthy, is that pouring water on an alcohol fire can move the fire instead of extinguishing as the flames "float" on the water/alcohol mixture and then move down into the bilge but continue burning—igniting the boat in the process. You're generally far better off using a fire blanket to extinguish small alcohol fires for this reason.
That sounds logical to me Dog. Did you ever work for OSHA? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.