What did I do wrong? - Navigating around another vessel

Oct 20, 2021
C&C 34 Everett
My marina has a fairly lengthy entrance/exit that requires going first between an island and the shore. After the end of the island there is a distance that many if not most boaters cut especially when it is not low tide. There is a green marker at the very end of the maintained channel that I always pass on my way in and my way out(to starboard on the way out, to port on the way in). It can be a bit odd as a bunch of small fishing boats and similar cut the mark coming in but they usually give plenty of space so it is no big deal.

Recently as I was leaving and nearing the mark a medium sized(40ish foot) motorboat was on the way in. I recognized that we were near a collision course from a long ways off but also recognized that he was cutting the corner, albeit not by much. I initially held my course thinking he would navigate around the mark but he held his course. Eventually as I neared the mark I steered to port to make it obvious that I was changing course away from him, but also with limited room between myself and a large breakwater I didn't have a tonof space. We never came that close as neither of us adjusted our throttle and I was the only one to change course, but it was still awkward. As he passed the mark to his starboard he stepped out of his wheelhouse and shook his finger(not THAT finger... he was scolding me) at me and yelled something.

In an ideal world I realize I would have turned to starboard to pass on the correct side, but that would have taken me out of the channel. I happened to receive a GoPro for a gift recently and had it on the boat for the day. I went back and watched the footage and confirmed what I remembered which is while he was not cutting the corner by much, the motor boat was never on a course to keep the mark to his port.

I realize this is a lot of words, so a photo is attached. My rough track is green and his is orange.

Did I do something wrong? Was he scolding me for not wearing my life jacket(though he was also not wearing his?) At first I thought maybe he reached out over VHF and I had forgot to turn mine on, but I checked and it was on and on channel 16. If I am doing something stupid I definitely want to know as this is how I get in and out every time I leave/return to my marina.

Attachments

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Based on your description and the image you posted, no.
You were correct to make the limited adjustment to port to allow for a stbd-stbd passage.

ColRegs Rule 14 governs meeting or head-on situations and states that “when two power-driven vessels are meeting on reciprocal or nearly reciprocal courses so as to involve risk of collision, each shall alter her course to starboard so that each shall pass on the port side of the other.”

I don't recall where it's written that the vessels can pass stbd-stbd by mutual agreement.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Did I do something wrong?
NO.

Channel Markers
Lateral Marks
Lateral buoys denote port and starboard sides as you move upstream or seaward.

• Red buoys are kept to starboard (right side) when returning from sea
  • Green buoys are kept to port (left side) when returning from sea
  • Red/green buoys indicate the preferred channel at a divergence
You were heading to sea. You passed the marker left to Starboard.
You are wise to stay in the channel. There is considerable shoaling between the buoy and the end of the Jetty Island. Just because the ignores your restriction to the channel in no way reflects on you. Good move to telegraph your intentions with a clear move in the channel. It is also good for him that you could stay in the channel and did not have a boat running up river (returning). In the channel.

Oct 22, 2014
I am not sure of the ColReg siting but this is my understanding.

This location does have an Obstruction (the shoaling) and a shore line issue as the channel runs about 500 yards along a military pier until you get to the Green Buoy.

Starboard-to-Starboard
If it is not possible to pass port-to-port due to an obstruction or shoreline, a starboard-to-starboard pass should be signaled with two short blasts.

In short, vessel A must blow two short blasts, indicating its intention to pass starboard-to-starboard, and alter its course to port. Vessel B must return two short blasts to indicate agreement and understanding and alter its course to port, thereby, leaving room on each vessel's starboard side for passing.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I think you did the right thing given the layout of the channel and your initial reaction to follow your course, then alter when needed.

From the powerboater’s perspective he may have just been disregarding the channel entirely, and figuring he was the stand-on vessel being on your starboard bow, so he would’ve expected you to turn to starboard and pass astern of him. Doesn’t make him right - the restriction of the channel is a good reason not to do that, but it would at least explain his misguided reaction.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
You were in the channel, he was crossing, so that potentially makes you stand-on to crossing traffic (Rule 9). However, based on the chart you posted, there was lots of deep water on the starboard side of the channel, so you were not restricted from turning to starboard. You should have followed the far right side of the channel, moving even farther right if need be. You were not restricted, so rule 9 does not apply to either vessel.

RULE 9
Narrow Channels
(a) A vessel proceeding along the course of a narrow channel or fairway
shall keep as near to the outer limit of the channel or fairway which Iies on
her starboard side as is safe and practicable.

(b) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not
impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a
narrow channel or fairway.
(c) A vessel engaged in fishing shall not impede the passage of any other
vessel navigating within a narrow channel or fairway.
(d) A vessel shall not cross a narrow channel or fairway if such crossing

impedes the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within such
channel or fairway. The latter vessel may use the sound signal prescribed in
Rule 34(d) if in doubt as to the intention of the crossing vessel.

He was to starboard, which makes him stand on. He would expect you to alter course to starboard, NOT to port.

Altering course to port is generally a BIG mistake, particularly in near head-on situations, since the required dodge for BOTH vessels is to turn to starboard. Turing to port invites a head-on collision.

Sounding a single blast, confirming port-to-port is good. He could reply with a single horn.

RULE 34
Maneuvering and Warning Signals
(a) When vessels are in sight of one another, a power-driven vessel
underway, when maneuvering as authorized or required by these Rules,
shall indicate that maneuver by the following signals on her whistle:
− one short blast to mean “I am altering my course to starboard”;
− two short blasts to mean “I am altering my course to port”

So yes, what you did was backwards and potentially hazardous. COLREGS is not about politeness, it is about doing what is predictable. As a rule, turn right unless the other vessels is over your right shoulder. If you did not feel you could turn right (which you could), you could also have just slowed down and waited for him to pass ahead. That is not wrong in this situation.

Oct 22, 2014
However, based on the chart you posted, there was lots of deep water on the starboard side of the channel,
Local knowledge, the area to the west of the channel, on Colby’s starboard side is shoaled. That is why Colby was headed to the green buoy, before turning to starboard and out into safe water. The channel is dredged every couple of years. The river sediments are deposited on the west side of the channel between the island and the green buoy.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Similar situation I was sailing in wider channel pinned up against buoy, made the starboard to starboard crossing, above sea ray's bow I couldn't really get a clear view of her captain, he moved... we spoke later at a cafe (he recognized me) jokingly he says "Are you British?" No just sailing." I replied, stand on...hahah ect.. He politely says "I'm not sure about that...just got boat..still learning rules..." I said I'm still learning too, ocean is an ongoing course for us all."

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
You are going maybe 6 knots at most, maybe less, right? And a powerboat is coming towards you, obviously not intending to heed any channel markers and probably at a speed greater than yours, making a wake, no doubt. So, you find yourself being scolded by a powerboater who probably thinks of a sailboat as nothing more than a slow-moving nuisance interfering with his intentions. Not always, but that's how many powerboaters think about blowboats. They just want you to stay out of their way because you move too slow. Your intention was clear ... you were heeding the channel markers and he wasn't. Don't sweat it. We can wag our fingers at all the nav rules in the books but the only one that really matters for recreational boaters is "avoid the collision". If the guy can't avoid another boat plodding along at 6 knots or slower in a (clearly marked) channel, he's the one with a problem!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Local knowledge, the area to the west of the channel, on Colby’s starboard side is shoaled. That is why Colby was headed to the green buoy, before turning to starboard and out into safe water. The channel is dredged every couple of years. The river sediments are deposited on the west side of the channel between the island and the green buoy.
OK.

One problem here is that the other vessel may not have considered the channel shoaling and thus rule 9. Heeding the channel markers alone, however, creates no special rights. For example, the Chesapeake Bay ship channel is marked, and there is generally > 20 feet on both sides for miles, so the markers are not relevant to recreational boaters and recreational boaters are not in a narrow channel. Was the OP as far to the right as possible, even if slightly outside the straight line to the mark? Just 50 feet may be all he needed.

Even so, turning to port is a big no-no when head-on or nearly so. You stay as close to the starboard side as possible. Get on the horn. Slow down. But I believe turning left in this situation is asking for a broadside and is ONLY permitted either very early (the OP's case) or in extremis, when you believe that action by the other vessel will not be enough. If the OP turned sufficiently early, then the power boat, who is not concerned about the channel, has nothing to complain about. What is "sufficiently early" is not always simple.

My point is to be very wary about left turns. COLREGS does not recommend them, people don't expect them in forward quarter meetings, and it would be likely you would be held responsible. The early turn violated both rule 14 and rule 15. The power boater may very well have been planning to go around to starboard at the last moment. Not a great plan by him, but not unusual either.

RULE 14
Head-on Situation
(a) When two power-driven vessels are meeting on reciprocal or nearly
reciprocal courses so as to involve risk of collision each shall alter her
course to starboard so that each shall pass on the port side of the other.

(b) Such a situation shall be deemed to exist when a vessel sees the other
ahead or nearly ahead and by night she could see the masthead lights of
the other in a line or nearly in a line and/or both sidelights and by day she
observes the corresponding aspect of the other vessel.
(c) When a vessel is in any doubt as to whether such a situation exists she
shall assume that it does exist and act accordingly.
RULE 15
Crossing Situation

When two power-driven vessels are crossing so as to involve risk of
collision, the vessel which has the other on her own starboard side shall
keep out of the way and shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid
crossing ahead of the other vessel.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Even so, turning to port is a big no-no when head-on or nearly so. You stay as close to the starboard side as possible. Get on the horn. Slow down. But I believe turning left in this situation is asking for a broadside and is ONLY permitted either very early (the OP's case) or in extremis, when you believe that action by the other vessel will not be enough. If the OP turned sufficiently early, then the power boat, who is not concerned about the channel, has nothing to complain about. What is "sufficiently early" is not always simple.
Based on the description and the diagram, they weren't approaching head on ... not even close to it (the path seems to show that they were approaching at almost a right angle). It seemed to be clear that the approaching powerboat was simply cutting a corner into the channel. @colb218 was simply making a slight adjustment to port to give the guy more room. It sounds like speeds were relatively slow, distances were adequately safe, and colb's intent and adjustment was abundantly clear so it simply makes no sense that the guy in the powerboat should be giving him a hard time. Your statement that the guy has nothing to complain about seems to be about the only thing that applies in this instance.

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
No one here follows the regs, except the sail boats. I've had ski boats pulling tubes cross so close to my bow I had to make a U-turn to avoid getting between them an the kids on the tube they were towing. Yes. the regs are the regs. But you also need to do what you can to avoid a collision. I'm guessing in your situation the power boater had no idea you had a keel, or had any sort of issues with shallow water, because he didn't, so why would anyone else.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I'm guessing in your situation the power boater had no idea you had a keel, or had any sort of issues with shallow water, because he didn't, so why would anyone else.
This is most likely the case.

(d) A vessel shall not cross a narrow channel or fairway if such crossing
impedes the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within such
channel or fairway. The latter vessel may use the sound signal prescribed in
Rule 34(d) if in doubt as to the intention of the crossing vessel.
The power boat may have made the assumption the sailboat could safely navigate outside of the fairway. If I was the power boat, I would not make that assumption. The power boat did not hold his course, he continued to alter course to port. I don't think he was in any position to wag a finger at anyone.

My vote is @colb218 made the prudent choice. Stay out of the way, make early and clear actions that show your intent. Sounding two signals would have made it better.

This makes keeping a sound signaling device at the helm, rather than in a cabinet below, a good choice.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
While the drawing shows the paths of the two boats it does not indicate where each one was at different times. The green track does not indicate any turn to Port. In race protest situations it helps to make a drawing and label the boats involved, like Port 1, Port 2, Port 3 and Starboard 1, Starboard 2, Starboard 3, etc. This helps to show the relative positions of the boats in "snapshots" to the Protest Committee. Doing this with the drawing would help people understand exactly what happened, and when it happened. Position 1 might be when Colb first noticed the powerboat on an almost collision course. Position 2 when he realized that the powerboat wasn't changing course. Position 3 when Colb changed course (and show the course change in the track), and Position 4 would be when the powerboater wagged his finger. There are people on the road who drive like this powerboater. They end up in the back end of ambulances because other people can't get out of their way fast enough. You were probably both lucky that YOU changed course.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
I’d have given5 short blasts, waited a minute for him to acknowledge, then two short blasts to signal my turn and intent to pass starboard to starboard. Having your vhf on and trying to raise him would give your insurance company solace if there were to be a collision from his failure to respond to signals. PS if he is in your :mad:arrina, print these posts and stick them onto his boat for light reading.

Mar 26, 2011
What I was trying to indicate is that although the OP thought he made a prudent choice (and it worked out fine and the other guy was mostly pissy), unless the other fellow sees it the same way, had quarters been closer, perhaps not. The power boater would have expected a turn to starboard, he would have turned to starboard as he believes the rule requires, and the result would be a T-bone.

Yes, there is a marked channel, but rule says that this only manners if you cannot navigate outside the channel. You would probably end up having to prove with soundings that you would have run aground before completely the maneuver. That is what rule 17 implies. That you physically could not turn to starboard. It's a tough situation. But consider the case, in extremis, seconds before impact. If you turn right you may run aground in mud. If you turn left, and he turns left as required, you will get T-boned, your boat is a total loss, you will get charged, and someone may die. Better to run aground in mud. Stay to the right.

And THAT is how the court would see it. Really. Look up the case law, and you will find that the courts have found this way on crossings near channels a number of times. Turning to port in front of another boat requires a LOT of room.

Oct 22, 2014
If you turn left,
If you believe, based on local knowledge and charts that the you will be stuck in the mud and unable to maneuver then the Regs indicate you make an obvious directional change and you use a horn (two blasts) to indicate your direction and situation.

The oncoming boat seeing your directional change and hearing the horn blasts has been put on notice of the situation and returns the signal (two blast) to acknowledge the communication.

If there is no response from the oncoming “Crossing vessel” then immediately issue the 5 horn blasts and slow down. Continue the warning 5 horn blasts and maneuver to avoid a collision. This is spelled out in the Regs.

The regs do not indicate that you must turn your boat onto shoaling waters and run aground in order to pass starboard to starboard.

Turning to port in front of another boat requires a LOT of room.
While the statement is true when both boats are bow to bow, turning to port when the on coming boat is already on your Starboard side is the shortest escape from a collision. Turning to Starboard in this case will take longer as you both must cross bows and if you run a ground in the process put you in greater danger.

JCSail

Mar 20, 2024
Contessa JJT Contessa 26 Meaford, ON
I like all the answers.
If I am missing something about having to fight wave and wind, I always wonder about reducing speed as a way to noticeably change my course. Gives more time to the closing distance to avoid collisions and for you and the other to vessel to figure who is stand on or give way. I know this may mean our slow boats become even slower so not always an option.
We don’t have the other boaters view. Could he of thought he needed or deserved more sea room?
Otherwise it sounds like you avoided collision and gained a learning experience to boot, and that’s the important part.