Weeping Holes at Mast Step

Oct 28, 2023
Hunter 29.5 Midland, On
After doing a lot of research on weeping holes for deck stepped masts, I went and took another look at my mast. Using pipe cleaners, I thought I would be able to inspect and clear any weeping holes. I went around the base of the mast twice and cannot find a hole that goes right through to the interior of the mast. Each spot I checked did not have a hole, just a recess to accommodate a pulley. Can anyone recognize this setup and give me some advice? I am getting a lot of water in the boat every time it rains and it appears to run down the compression post. I will eventually drop the mast and shore up the wiring harness, but need some immediate relief!

Attachments

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
You mast leak problem is very common. It looks like you have a Z-Spar mast similar to the one on my h40.5. At the base of my mast there are several holes at the juncture of the mast step and the deck. I think there are several- fore and aft, port and starboard. But your mast step looks different than mine, but I would still expect the weep holes to exist.
You said that you researched mast leaks, but did you search this site? There is a lot of info available.
Most likely water is running down the wiring and a proper drip loop was not created when the mast was stepped. On my boat there is a PVC tube that passes all of the wires and that tube is caulked into a hole through the mast step and cabin top. Resealing that tube and all of the wires passing through it is not easy.
The permanent fix is to drop the mast, put a drip loop in the wire bundle, create one or more weep holes if not present, and seal the PVC tube into the mast step.
One boater suggested the idea of drilling a 1/4" hole just above the mast step. I don't know if he actually did that or what the result was.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Can anyone recognize this setup and give me some advice?
Had a similar problem with our boat and wrote an article about it here: Hunter 42 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

Rich has some good suggestions as well. We have an Isomat mast on our boat and the base has a weep hole. If you plan to unstep the mast, it might make sense to use a grinder to cut a weep hole in your mast step plate like ours and Rich's as shown in his pictures as well as mine here: Hunter 42 Owner Modifications and Upgrades

Oct 28, 2023
Hunter 29.5 Midland, On
Hi folks, your replies are very helpful and so are the pictures. For some reason, I don't see a weeping hole at the front of the step and the wires are routed directly through the top of the compression post - not accessible without dropping the mast. I'll take another look this weekend. Thanks!