Trip to Europe (and back) begins

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
So y'all should check if Elon Musk has a rocket ship coming back right now. Pretty sure it landed just off my starboard. The barg, Doug, and tow boat, Marmac 302, are about 3nm off to starboard. Will see how close they get, I'll try to get a photo when they are as close as possible. AIS is predicting about 1.3nm CPA. But it's notoriously inaccurate. They could also change course. Fun!

dj

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
That is really cool. The company I work for makes the parachutes that bring the nose cone fairings back down. They land in the ocean and those ships pick them up.

• Helpful

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
That is really cool. The company I work for makes the parachutes that bring the nose cone fairings back down. They land in the ocean and those ships pick them up.
Talking to the engineer on board was really cool. I was nervous at first thinking they are probably pretty busy. But he took the time - it was a very nice conversation. The tug has a hug crane on it - I'm sure what picks up the nose cone and likely does all the arranging in the barg. Amazing set-up!

dj

p.s. this is the ship i talked to. https://space-offshore.com/doug/

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
The boats are named Bob and Doug :laugh:
Bob and Doug McKenzie had a skit on Second City TV. They were supposed to be the stereotypical Canadians.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Two SpaceX devices landed this week.

One with the Astronauts from the Space Station.

The other was the booster from this Beast , Landed in Gulf of Mexico.

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 9.08.56 AM.png

Jim...

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
The infrequent position updates makes it look like they sailed over Man-O-War Cat, but they must have made it safely through the channel.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
The infrequent position updates makes it look like they sailed over Man-O-War Cat, but they must have made it safely through the channel.
When flying becomes possible I may try that...

The South Man-O-War entrance was said to be the easiest to enter. It's a calm day so it didn't have breaking waves upon entering, which apparently it's known for. Easy entrance. But I still get nervous with "reefs to the left of me, rocks to the right, here i am, stick in the middle of the channel...."...sorry a sing is dancing through my head...

We are now anchored - let me pull up my coordinates:

26 33.331 N
077 03.304 W

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
I was looking at the Man-O-War channel on Navionics. I wouldn't want to go through in a blow or in the dark. Glad you made it through safe. Enjoy the Bahamas.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I was looking at the Man-O-War channel on Navionics. I wouldn't want to go through in a blow or in the dark. Glad you made it through safe. Enjoy the Bahamas.
Certainly not as a first run through. Looks like with local knowledge it could be doable most of the time. Bet it can get pretty feisty with breaking waves though.

dj