Transporting a Catalina 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 3, 2012
Catalina 30 Milwaukee
My brother-in-law and I are looking to transport his Catalina 25 from NY to WI and to put it bluntly,we aren't sure what we are doing. We still have to acquire a trailer and are hoping to find a used one, although this is proving more difficult than we thought. Is there a specific kind anyone recommends?

I know this is a rather vague post and I apologize. However our knowledge of transporting something this size, is far less than vauge. Thanks for any help.

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina C25 Eagle Mountain Lake
You really have 2 choices:

1. Do it yourself. Find a trailer....they are out there....usually around $2500 for one in good shape, ready to haul. New, they'll be $5000. A cheap "bargain" trailer is probably rusted out, needs new bunks, axles, tires, bearings, wiring. One way or another, you'll pay $$$ for one. You might find one to rent. Some owners will rent their trailer to you. You may have to drive several states to pick it up, and then drop it off. A C25 weighs in the neighborhood of 6500# all told. You will need a stout tow vehicle, like a 3/4 ton long wheelbase at a minimum. An ideal tow vehicle would be a Chevy 2500HD, or a Ford F350.

2. Pay someone to do it. This will most likely be the least expensive option. You're probably looking at $2k, give or take. The C25 can be trailered without permits. There are quite a few "mom & pop" haulers out there, but ask at your local marina.

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
If you plan to use the trailer after the boat is moved it would pay to get a good one from the beginning. If you are not planning to use it after the move I think hiring it done would be the best way. I got a trailer with my boat but have had to change the lights, bunks, axels, wheels & tires to bring it up to a good usable condition. Mine is a standard tandem axel cargo trailer with bunks etc. added for the boat. New axels are 5200 pound. The 3500 pound axels are marginal (One of mine broke). Get brakes on all 4 wheels. Cost to complete the trailer repairs was about $2000.00 and a lot of work. I pull with a Chevy 2500 diesel, however, a good friend pulled his with a Chevy 1500 from NC to TX. Another friend uses a GMC 1500 and travels to several different lakes during the year.

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina C25 Eagle Mountain Lake
New model 1500's will pull it just fine...depending on engine, wheelbase and axle ratio....you're approaching 80% capacity.

My recommendation of a 2500HD or F350 is an "ideal"....50% or less capacity.

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Call the morons on "shipping wars" on tv, and u will get to watch them bitch and moan as they drag your boat to its destination. Hopefully they don't pick up a couple sheep to round out the load...... Red

UPSGUY

Jan 9, 2011
Catalina 22 Bayville NY
There are a lot of boat haulers for higher in NY. I'd call and check prices and insurance options first.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Ive youve never pulled a heavy trailer any distance, this isnt likely the time to learn. By your own admission your quite green, and WI is a long ways from NY with not the best terrain or road quality. Youll also be sharing the road with a lot of semi traffic, and a heavy trailer with a high center of gravity would test the best driver. But....

At 6500 pounds, the trailer you need will add 2500 pounds or more to your gross combined weight, and will exceed the GCVW capacity of all but the heaviest vehicles. I wouldnt want to pull it that distance behind anything less than a 1 ton. The trailer needs not only brakes, but good brakes. Good tires too. And, you should sit down and google as much as possible to teach yourself. Make sure you have a good spare, jack and tire tools, and are familiar with every aspect. Remember too, that a heavy load may make the tow vehicle overly responsive in steering, and can cause a driver to over correct. Its likely going to be sway prone anyway, if you start over correcting you could end up in a mess quite rapidly. Or worse.

Probably quite a bit cheaper to sell it and buy another at the other end.

Status
Not open for further replies.