transmission when sailing

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
Where do you guys set your transmission when sailing. I have an '81 Oday 31 and have been sailing with the transmission in neutral, but wanted to hear about other's ideas. Universal Diesel engine.

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
Thanks! I've read some of that other stuff, but wanted to see what people with the same boat as mine were doing.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Thanks! I've read some of that other stuff, but wanted to see what people with the same boat as mine were doing.
But it's not who has the same boat.
But it's not who has the same engine (sometimes).
It's who has the same transmission.
Universals have (usually) Hurth transmissions. Your boat size is most likely an M25 or M25XP.
Neutral or reverse, never forward.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Where do you guys set your transmission when sailing. I have an '81 Oday 31 and have been sailing with the transmission in neutral, but wanted to hear about other's ideas.
Personal ideas don't count for squat when you're dealing with a relatively complex piece of machinery like a boat transmission. The only thing that counts is "THE MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDATIONS." They designed the machinery and they're one hell of a lot smarter than some dumbass stumbling along the dock just loaded with his own personal opinions.

Lots of previous discussions, like this one: OK, SO WHATS THE REAL ANSWER
I took a look at @dmax 's reference to Lady K ideas and you definitely DO NOT want to join this guy in his head. Mechanically, dumber than a sack of hammers. As he says in his opening statement "It's an age old debate". Yes, and it's been pursued by imbeciles and mental black holes who never refer to the manufacturer's recommendations, and in addition NEVER ask for directions when driving.

After presenting his thoughts on transmissions, neutral or in gear, not once did he mention that when in doubt, refer to YOUR transmission manufacturer's recommendations. To him, a transmission is a transmission and they're all the same.

I think by now we've all looked at our transmission manufacturer's recommendation and learned they're NOT all the same. And we've learned to follow their recommendations.

We live in an era of manufacturer's information. Use it.

Last edited:

Arrgh

Oct 27, 2021
ODay 34 Bristol, RI
Sometimes actual experience does count for something. I get that there are engineers that get paid lots of money to figure these things out and write it in the manual. Sometimes there's a difference between what the book says and how things actually work. I didn't realize this was going to trigger some people. Thank you all for your input :)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sometimes there's a difference between what the book says and how things actually work.
Rarely. That's why Ralph's post is so very, very true. What you need to understand about transmissions is not so much "what position when the engine is off and I'm sailing," but rather "What kind of damage WILL I do if I put it in the wrong position?"
The damage part is what the engineers are telling you. So believe them. Please.
My Hurth transmission manual says neutral or reverse, NEVER forward -- because I would seriously damage the guts of the machinery.
Got it now? It certainly ain't internet forums' skippers "preferences," it's facts.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sometimes actual experience does count for something. I get that there are engineers that get paid lots of money to figure these things out and write it in the manual. Sometimes there's a difference between what the book says and how things actually work. I didn't realize this was going to trigger some people. Thank you all for your input :)
My personal experience with my Kanzaki transmission was that it sort of “locked up” when I tried sailing with it in reverse. It was so hard to shift back to neutral, I pulled the cable out of the cable retainer, and disabled the transmission until I figured out why I could not shift.

After that episode, I let it freewheel, which is recommended for this transmission (I was following internet knowledge that sailing with the transmission in reverse would allow me to sail faster).

YMMV,

Greg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
(I was following internet knowledge that sailing with the transmission in reverse would allow me to sail faster).
Where and how was that load of drunken sputtering ever conceived makes one wonder. Just the common sense of a turning prop moving through water will tell you freewheeling generates the least amount of resistance to movement.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
If you sail vast distances and as it's best to have the prop free wheeling is there a way of harnessing the power of the turning shaft to generate power to the batteries, like a solar or wind prop would do? I remember as a kid my bicycle had a generator on it that was spun by the power of the wheel. Thats how we had night lights. Like as below:

Is there a unit especially built and designed for this? Anyone?

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If you sail vast distances and as it's best to have the prop free wheeling is there a way of harnessing the power of the turning shaft to generate power to the batteries, like a solar or wind prop would do? I remember as a kid my bicycle had a generator on it that was spun by the power of the wheel. Thats how we had night lights. Like as below:

Is there a unit especially built and designed for this? Anyone?
There are regeneration systems like that, although I don’t know of any that are made to “bolt on” to an existing shaft. I know of systems that can be attached to the transom or towed, and hybrid or electric drive systems that can be basically run in reverse when sailing to generate power.

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 30 Stamford CT
I own a 1983 O'Day with a Universal 5416 engine and a Hurth gearbox. I put my transmission in reverse while sailing. Attached are copies of the pages from two versions of their Owner's manual. One version says you must leave the transmission in neutral while sailing and do not leave in forward while sailing without power as it will damage gear. The other version says do not leave gear in forward when sailing. Gea must be in neutral for free wheeling or shifted into reverse to lock propeller while sailing.

IMG_7543.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Bob_S

Aug 23, 2020
Oday 28 Branford
Where do you guys set your transmission when sailing. I have an '81 Oday 31 and have been sailing with the transmission in neutral, but wanted to hear about other's ideas. Universal Diesel engine.
...have read all the answers in this thread so far and agree that the manufacturers reccomendation shoud be the final word. In my case, leaving the transmission (Technodrive TCM40) in nuetral. Of course then there's an ambiguous NEVER in the direction of sailing. (forward) leaving me to wonder if it's okay sometimes to lock it in reverse. Having said all that, I did read a study that addressed the issue of whether locking the prop or letting it freewheel created more or less drag. The answer was letting the prop freewheel caused less drag and slightly better speed...FWIW.
Fair Winds to All
Bob S.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
The manufacturer's recommendation, which was on a note on my 2004 HBW-50 transmission, is to put the transmission in "Reverse" when sailing, or anchored or moored in a current. This is to prevent premature wear from lack of lubrication.