Trans oil

Jan 11, 2013
oday 30' n/a
Good morning, I'm getting set to change the oil in the transmission
It's a 1983 p303 with a 13hp motor.
I can't find a manual with oil specs for the trans.
Would it be a 90 weight ?
Any info would be appreciated

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Chuck. The oil weight in your transmission is based on your motor and transmission maker. It should be in the manual for the transmission. Do you have the motor/transmission manual? Do you know the make and model of the transmission/motor?
They usually are stamped on the engine block and or transmission bell housing. A bright flashlight is helpful in finding these identifying numbers.

Armed with this information you can search the internet for a manual. In the manual the specs for all the fluids and more are revealed.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Look very carefully at the manufacturer's plate on the transmission. On my it lists the oil to be used right on the plate.

Jan 11, 2013
oday 30' n/a
Out on a limb here but I think I remember that a P-303 has a Yanmar 2GMF.. If that is correct, the transmission uses straight 30 wt engine oil.
THANKS FOR THE INFO
It is a 2gmf
Still looking for a manual
That helps

Jan 11, 2013
oday 30' n/a
Chuck. The oil weight in your transmission is based on your motor and transmission maker. It should be in the manual for the transmission. Do you have the motor/transmission manual? Do you know the make and model of the transmission/motor?
They usually are stamped on the engine block and or transmission bell housing. A bright flashlight is helpful in finding these identifying numbers.

Armed with this information you can search the internet for a manual. In the manual the specs for all the fluids and more are revealed.
Thanks for the info

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
For the 2gmf it is 30W engine oil but If you do not want to have to change the oil again ever go to a premium synthetic oil. The transmission is a clean and enclosed environment not subject to pressure. That means there are no foreign or by-product contaminants and no pressure buildup to affect gaskets. The premium synthetic oil is resistant to heat and time degradation of viscosity. In its sealed environment that oil will last longer than the boat and /or the transmission. (the same does not apply to the oil used for the engine in older models)

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
@Benny17441 The only single 30W synthetic oil I'm seeing on line is marketed for 4 stroke motorcycles and small engines. Based on the environment you describe I would imagine that would not be a problem in our transmissions that specify 30W oil. Just asking since you bring up a very good point.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Chuck, the manual can be found on this site:
Click on "Owner Resources" in the top bar then click on "General Downloads" then scroll down to the Yanmar stuff..
Lots of good info in those sections.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The type of fluid to be used is recommended by the transmission manufacturer but be aware that the Owners Manual recommendations in 1983 may be obsolete as oils and fluids have evolved and improved greatly since then. Some transmissions use engine oils and others use automatic transmission fluids. Synthetics were not widely available. You may use automotive 30W oil and you will be fine. A multigrade may not be recommended as the transmission itself will not get to engine operating temperatures. Like I said earlier the use of a 30W synthetic will provide a longer service interval.