trailering a Catalina 22 vs 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris Akeley

I'm closing in on buying either a 22 or an 18. I like the roominess in the 22, but I'm afraid it's significantly harder to trailer. I'll be using the trailer for every sail in the first year. (Mult-year waiting lists in SE Mass for moorings.) Can anybody help with a comparison?

T

Ted

I'd Buy the 22 !!!

Hi Chris ! It's and easy launch, really. When you are using the ramp, you will want the 18, when you get the mooring, you will want the 22. Regards, Ted

R

Randy Kolb

Swing Keel?

Assuming that the C22 is a swing keel and that you have enough of a vehicle to tow it, I'd recommend the 22 for the added room and comfort.

B

Bob B.

Size does matter, C22 is better

Hello Chris: Buy the C22 swing keel as you will no doubt be stricken with the disease called 2 foot-eytis (in your case 4 foot-eytis) The C22 is an easy tow! Much easier than a holiday trailer of the same weight. When the 18 wheelers etc. pass, there is no sideways movement due to the wind. I tow with an old Grand Marquis with a 4.6 liter V-8 engine & factory towing package. That is about 283 cu. in. It works great but only tow twice per season, to the marina & back home with no big hills & I have an 8' tongue extension. The only drawback to the C22 in your case of trailering every sail is the chore of rigging it up. I'm not familiar with rigging an 18' boat but would think it is much easier than a 22'. I often rig mine alone with some home made mast stepping gear but it is quicker with 2 people not using the gear. Even with 2 people, it does take a couple of hours. Happy sailing with your C22, Bob B.

Timm R

Jun 7, 2004
Catalina 22 Madison Wis
Definitely go for the 22

I tow a 22 and have used several differant vehicles without any problems.Swing keel and an extendable tongue make the differance.I step the mast and set the rigging by myself.After getting a system practiced I spend about 45 minutes putting the boat in the water and about 30 minutes taking it out.In rougher weather I'm glad that I bought the bigger boat.

Aug 30, 2004
- - White Bear Lake, MN
go for the C22

I upgraded from a 16 footer to the C22. I actually find the C22 easier to sail, since it's a stiffer boat. I am able to sail in a greater variety of winds, with wind up to 20 knots no problem since I installed roller furling and a mainsail reefing system. Once you get your slip, you'll regret buying the smaller boat.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
C 22

You did not mention a tow vehicle...the C22 will be heavier, be sure you have a capable vehicle.

C

Chris Akeley

more info

I have a vehicle that could tow either boat. It's put-in, set-up, take-out, and take-down that have me worried.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
trailer sailing

Hello, Last year I trailer sailed a C22. We didn't have a slip or mooring, so each time we wanted to sail it was trailer the launch area, rig, launch, sail, retreive, take down, trailer home. With practice, my wife and I could go from launch area to sailing in about 1 hour. It took the same amount of time for the haul out. To be frank, the launch / retreive stuff took a lot of fun out of sailing. We have 3 young kids, and even with a movie on in the Honda van, they were not happy sitting around for an hour. If you don't have kids to worry about, trailering wouldn't be so difficult. This year we put the boat on a mooring, it was much better. Now, if we have an hour or two free, we can go sailing. We would not do that when trailer sailing. If you have no options, then trailer sailing can work. I don't know anything about the C-18, so I can't help you there. My feeling is that it would not be much different than the C-22. Nothing on the C22 was that hard to do. There are just a certain number of steps to follow, and there is no getting around that. Each time you must (and I'm doing this from memory so bear with with me): Untie the mast walk them mast aft place top of mast in crutch and base in mast step rig winch line to forestay use winch to raise mast (you may be able to skip this step with a C-18) connect back stay and forward lower shrouds disconnect winch line and connect forestay tension shrouds and stays put on boom and topping lift (we used to leave the main on the boom) connect main halyward check all lines are clear put outboard on bracket connect dock lines untie trailer tie downs place fenders on rail pull into ramp area disconnect trailer, connect trailer tongue extension back into water float boat off, tie to dock pull trailer out, and park car get on boat, start engine, motor away from dock raise sail and have fun. As you can see, there are a lot of things to do regardless of the boat size. good luck, Barry

Jun 2, 2004
- - Pennsylvania lake
Practice

Go for the 22. Practice setting up the boat at home to work out a sequence of rigging and unrigging, Keep the rigging simple, no roller furling. Look for ways to save steps and time in setup such as: attaching the rudder to the trailer, you don't have to unpack the SUV or climb into the boat. Make a canvas bag for the boom and mainsail, keep the sail on the boom with all of the control lines attached. Search the hardware stores for quick release straps adjusted to the right size for holding specific things in place when towing. 3 minutes here, 2 minutes there will add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.