Trailer sailer = beach launch?

bonkle

Nov 3, 2022
Hunter 31, 1983 Panama City
I used to have a Hobie 16 and would launch it on the beach. Just back close-ish and drag it down. How light of a boat (comparatively to a typical "trailer sailor") do I need for that? My Hobie 16 is a bit small for what I want and, as it turns out, my current hunter 31 is bigger (and more expensive) than I want. The only small monohull I've sailed is a Scotty and that seemed too heavy to truly be beachable. Should I stick to looking for catamarans?

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I had a Hunter 170, and we would launch it from the beach and we’d pull it up on the beach for a picnic. I think centerboard is important, and weight might be the second consideration.

my current boat is a Capri 18 with a wing keel, we need a pretty steep boat launch to float it off the trailer, and at 1500 it’s not as easy to pull up onto anything.

I think there are several boats, even cabin boats, that are absolutely beachable. The west wight potters come to mind.

bonkle

Nov 3, 2022
That Hunter looks excellent. Seems like allot of these size boats have allot of space wasted (for my application) on a cabin. I think I’d prefer a monohull cause the wife wants something dryer.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The key is for a small boat with a cabin that has a swing keel/swing centerboard. The Catalina 18 as mentioned with a fixed keel is difficult to launch. Look at. Hunter 22 fiberglass version of the 216, small Precision with cabin, MacGregor 22. I use to be sailboat dealer representing Hunter, Catalina, Precision, MacGregor, Beneteau and ComPac. If you tank questions here, post them here. If you want me to respond then advise me

bonkle

Nov 3, 2022
So far, it looks like catamarans are the only beach launch boats out there. It looks like any monohull bigger than a sunfish weights a minimum of a half ton. the 300lb H16 was tough enough to drag to and from the water.Towing isn't a problem, so I'll probably go the monohull rout since the wife doesn't want the "extreme" cat experience.