Slipping Throttle

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Larry Jackel

Left to it's own devices, the throttle on my 340 slips fairly rapidly to lower RPM. To remedy this, my dealer installed a "cable pincher" near the engine block. This creates friction in the cable. The problem is that when there is enough friction to keep the engine at 2800 RPM, there is too much friction to allow the cable to release the throttle below 1500 RPM. Given the choice, the right place to add friction is not on the cable, but rather at the controller on the pedestal, yet I see no way to do this. Any suggestions? Larry Jackel

W

Wynn Ferrel

Call Hunter Customer Support

I called Hunter Customer Support last week on this very issue for my 340. Here is what they had to say: Remove the access door to the engine in the head. At the rear of the engine you will see where the throttle cable connects to the engine. There is supposted to be an adjustment screw that can be tightened to stop the cable from slipping. They claim that they have been putting this feature on the engine and throttle cable for the last three years. I am going to the boat this weekend to try this for myself. I'll let you know. Wynn Ferrel S/V Tranquility

L

Larry Jackel

Problem flixed

At this last weekend's Hunter Rendezvous in Liberty Landing, I was introduced to Stephen McGovern from Mack Boring. I mentioned how the cable "pincher" failed to solve my slipping throttle. (the "pincher" is the "adjustment screw" that Wynn Ferrel mentions in his response to my first post.) Stephen said to try mounting the pincher at the end of the cable in the pedestal near the controller. I tried this last night and it appears to have fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.