Single Line Reefing Diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2009
Hunter Vision-36 Richmond
Glenn:

We just bought a 94 Hunter Vision 36 with the stayless rig.

The previous owner had done something wierd with the first reef line. Someone tied on a short piece of line to the end of the first reef line and tied that off to the end of the boom.

I'm afraid the line may be too short or not rigged properly.

Is there a diagram, or can you explain how this line should be properly rigged.

Thanks,

Mike

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Are these slab/jiffy reefed sails. If so, chances are likely that it isn't a single line reefing system, especially if the reefing line is up at the mast. On many boats, the reefing tack cringle is brought down to a tack hook at the gooseneck, and the line is only used for the reefing clew cringle.

Typically, the bitter end of the reefing line should be tied around the boom in a bowline. The line then goes up through the clew reefing cringle, and then down to a block in the end of the boom and then forward to the gooseneck. If it is truly a single line reefing system, then the line would go up from the gooseneck and through the tack reefing cringle, and then down to a block on the mast, mast step or deck and aft to a line clutch and winch.

Another setup might look something like this:

Mar 16, 2009
Are these slab/jiffy reefed sails. If so, chances are likely that it isn't a single line reefing system, especially if the reefing line is up at the mast. On many boats, the reefing tack cringle is brought down to a tack hook at the gooseneck, and the line is only used for the reefing clew cringle.

Typically, the bitter end of the reefing line should be tied around the boom in a bowline. The line then goes up through the clew reefing cringle, and then down to a block in the end of the boom and then forward to the gooseneck. If it is truly a single line reefing system, then the line would go up from the gooseneck and through the tack reefing cringle, and then down to a block on the mast, mast step or deck and aft to a line clutch and winch.

Another setup might look something like this:

It is definetly a single line reefing system that came with the boat.

The lines are in the mast and in the boom. There is no horns for the cringle on the mast.

I saw a diagram somewhere that showed a pully system indside the boom.

I just hope the last owner didn't pull the rope all the way out.

Only had her a few weeks. She's about 150 miles away, we go down on the weekends. I am hoping to get some diagram of how this system is sussposed to be rigged so I can correct it this weekend and go sailing!

Oct 22, 2008
Do the blocks have markings or manufacturer info on them... if so, that may help with figuring out how to reeve the lines. Unfortunately, some will be a royal PITA to re-reeve, since they have internal block setups inside the boom, as seen in this diagram:

Mar 16, 2009
Do the blocks have markings or manufacturer info on them... if so, that may help with figuring out how to reeve the lines. Unfortunately, some will be a royal PITA to re-reeve, since they have internal block setups inside the boom, as seen in this diagram:

I think this is what I'm looking for. I'll print this out and take it to the boat with me this weekend.

Thanks Capt.

Mike

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
Sailingdog has it down. If you set it up like that it will work.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Some advice, the double block inside the boom is a source of a huge amount of friction. It should be replaced with a ball bearing double block. This will significantly lower the system friction and make inserting the reef a great deal easier.

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
I have been considering the single line system pictured in the second diagram. I currently have a system like the first diagram.

The first system has a very large amount of friction, because the line will typically pull the luff cringle down first, and then to winch in the clew, the line passes through two cringles, typically under heavy load as the boom is flopping about in a blow.

The second system changes that, as once the luff cringle bottoms out, the path of lesser resistance is just the aft line, which only passes through one cringle. BUT ...
since I have two reefs, AND a outhaul that also has a block in the boom (2:1 or something), I worry about adding a pair of double ended blocks. I would think there are good chances of block jambing on each other, and things like that. Very hard to resolve when it's all in your boom.

Oct 22, 2008
I'd point out that you generally get better control over sail shape with a two-line reefing setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.