Single Hand Docking

Mar 2, 2008
Cal 25 mk II T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
I sail solo 90% of the time for over twenty years. I use an breast line in exactly the same way as druid said.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
[Reply to post #12.]
Smokey, that's a great rule, but it can't always be followed. I did fine with a tough setup doing it Charles's way every time (even with skilled crew).
Do you have bow thrusters?
No bow thruster. I have a friend with them and when he comes in sometimes we yell "cheater" just to get is goat!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I dock on a finger dock with port to and have a spring line set up and tied to a midship cleat at the right length which I can throw over a post on the end of the dock as I come in. I use the engine to slow the boat once the spring is on, but allow the spring to go taught. Once the spring is tight I then put the boat back in slow ahead with the tiller to port, which will drive the boat sideways to the dock, if it's real blowy I may have to add a little more revs, but it has always worked fine. My boat has a tiller, and I've made a short strop to hold the tiller over so I can let go of the tiller, with the engine still in forward drive, whilst I go about setting all the other lines. I also use this method to hold the boat when I'm getting ready to depart, makes the process very stress free - I can take off all the lines except the spring, then put it in reverse, and pull the spring off of the dock post as I leave.
I do the same thing except my spring line is permanently affixed to the outer port piling. As I come in I hook it's eye and slip it over the port winch.
The other thing I did which really saved my sanity while I was learning to dock, which is always solo BTW, even then I have helpers, is to install a bridle setup. Picture a line running from the outer port piling to the dock piling/cleat. Then another run the same way on the starboard side. Then a horizontal fender at the point you want your bow to stop, about level with the bow eye. Tie the lines to the fender eyes so it doesn't move. You end up with a V shaped bridle with the fender at the point of the V. If I lose steerage or the wind tries to blow me into the next slip, the v shaped bridle keeps me centered. The lines have enough stretch for the spring line to work but they keep me off my neighbors.
As Kopite says, when leaving I power up the OB and put it in forward and steer into the finger pier. I undo all dock lines except the spring line. I can sit that way for a long time.
Same as coming in. I grab the spring line, put the OB in forward and adjust it to steer me into the finger pier. I now have plenty of time to grab and tie the dock lines.

After that it is just a lot of practice and awareness of wind strength and direction. I'm like not to have current to worry about.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I have a rule on my boat - nobody, I mean nobody - jumps from the boat to the dock or the dock to the boat until at least one line is secured and the boat is stopped! Period! If I can't get the boat in a position to secure at least one line then I back out and try again. There are just too many risks when jumping off a boat for you and/or your crew. What happens if you slip and miss, spring an ankle, injure a joint, or miss and fall in? (Ask me how I know that one) This is especially compounded if your boat has no lines secured and keeps moving or blows down on you if you are in the drink between the boat and dock? Just too many variables and too many risks. I'd try and figure a way to get at least one line secured and the boat stopped before I "step" off the boat! Now my boat has a high freeboard so that is a consideration for me and may not be a problem for you but its your boat (and life) and your choice.
Certainly a long, long list of risks in boating. My job is to mitigate them. Since I solo most all the time were it left to securing a line before stepping on or off the boat, I would never leave or return.

I always follow a set procedure based on wind and current state when leaving or arriving at a dock and have yet (knock on wood) to have a serious mishap. Sometimes it takes a second try, others a modification to my procedures, and then others waiting for someone to show up on the dock to give me an assist when needed.

Always some new challenge encountered on the water. That keeps it interesting and spirited.

Kopite

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 27 Monroe MI
Ward, good point on the solo docking even when not solo. My family ( who are new to sailing ) finds the whole boating experience more enjoyable if they aren't placed in control of a line or boat hook at such a critical time, especially when we have guests, and frankly, the process goes more smoothly too.
BTW I should add that the spring line that goes around the dock post is a permanently tied loop threaded through old fire hose as anti-chafe, so it holds a nice round shape that goes over the post cleanly, and falls to dock level under its own weight. Using the line affixed to the boat, (vs grabbing a land line that has to be affixed to the midsheet cleat) means that I don't have to leave the cockpit or let go of the controls until the boat is stable at the dock. The one mod I'm considering is to add some more spring to the line, just to soften up the load as it becomes tight.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
kopite,
Yep, I explain to anyone new to my boat that leaving and returning to the slip is the most critical part of a good trip and I got it down pat so please stay seated and all hands must be inboard at all times. There is always plenty of time to help out when we get out sailing.
If they are experienced sailors I explain how and what I need before I leave or get to the slip and then they can help but not newbies.

I'm lucky that the jib sheet winches are placed so I can easily drop the eye over the winch from the cockpit and the spring line action is good, as each boat is different. Sounds like we are doing the same thing just with the bitter ends at opposite places.

Feb 9, 2009
2 26 Lake Tahoe
Back in the 60's the Sea Scout handbook had excellent diagrams for leaving and approaching the dock. I learned to sail by memorizing that book. I later became confident (or stupid) enough to single hand a 38' yawl. I always dropped the main entering the marina, kept the jib up for steerage way (that would be when my tiny diesel refused to run). When I knew that I had enough steerage way left to enter the slip, I then dropped the jib.

Jul 12, 2004
- - barnget bay
I dock single handed quite often. I setup 2 ropes the length of the slip held together by a bumper in the front . Pull in slip leave boat in slow ahead then pick up stern line and spring line then shut off engine.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Apologies for any repetition but here's my two cents:
- When singlehanding you can't hide poor docking skills. If you've been relying on many hands to compensate for your lack of finesse coming into the dock, do yourself a favor and take a docking course or practice with someone who has experience. It's not hard to get the angles down.
- If there is wind or current, secure the boat from midships first. If you're like me and don't have a midships cleat, just run a line around the base of a stanchion. Don't get fancy, just get the line secured as quickly as possible, at which point neither bow or stern will be able to swing out very far. There will be plenty of time for fancy knots and adjusting lines after that.
- Don't be a hero; If you're coming in singlehanded to a busy marina with wind/current, radio ahead and ask for help to meet you. Failing that, ask someone nearby on the dock as you're coming in. Some fellow boaters will hesitate to come to your aid without being asked so as not to insult you but I've never met a boater (sailor or otherwise) who would hesitate for a second to help when asked. The mild humility required to ask for assistance pales in comparison to the humiliation of a badly botched docking. And the guys who would have gladly helped you will be the same guys staring and snickering at your epic failure.
- Slow or Fast? They're both right; In calm conditions, coming in slowly is prudent and gives you time to correct and move around. If the wind is blowing you off the dock, you're better to come in with a bit more speed and risk a bit of a bump against the dock than to come in too slowly and get blown sideways into the boat next to you.
- With respect to those advocating for snagging a line around a cleat while you're still on the boat, I am wary of this. You might get comfortably with a fancy "snag" maneuver in your home slip but if you are visiting other marinas with any regularity you'll need an approach that is more universally effective.
- Lastly, if you don't like what you see, don't dock. People tend to feel committed to completing a docking once they have made the approach but there is no need. Assess the situation and if it feels wrong and there is nobody around to help, don't hesitate to back off and re-assess from a safe distance.

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
I have a rule on my boat - nobody, I mean nobody - jumps from the boat to the dock or the dock to the boat until at least one line is secured and the boat is stopped! Period! If I can't get the boat in a position to secure at least one line then I back out and try again.
Just to reply - my deck height is almost flush with the dock height. So in reality it's more like stepping off the boat onto the dock in my case. The cleats on the dock are on the dock itself, there are no pilings on the dock. So short of hooking a cleat with a looped line as I come in, there's just no way to single-handedly dock the boat without leaving to secure a line. I'm not saying I come flying in and rely on brute strength in my arms to jump off and muscle it to a stop. I'm probably one of the slower people that actually do dock, for those reasons. On a perfect day, I will have the boat completely stopped as I settle into the slip, but there are days where I do have a little momentum and then it's just a straight tug backwards on the bow line to hold it from bumping the dock, Then the stern line gets cleated off, then I walk up and tie the bow line. I didn't mean to imply that I'm making big flying leaps to docks and then strong-arming the boat to a stop. But in my situation, it's the only way I can do it while solo.

The exception being that at least at this marina, there are often people around who will be more than willing to meet you coming in and give a hand.

Nov 13, 2015
Hunter 290 Toronto Ontario
[Reply to YVRGuys Post #49]
Just for clarity, FWIW: I am one of the few "snaggers" or "snubbers" in this discussion, and I did it while standing on the dock, after stepping (not really jumping) off with my doubled-looped combo docking line. I didn't often dock elsewhere, but when I did, I'd almost always find a strong cleat on the dock near the transom that would work. Besides, most boats can steer AND reverse/brake better than my T-bird could, and most docks have more than 1' between the bow and a steel wall.
Also, if anybody thinks it's safer or better to muscle a boat to a stop (or towards a dock) by holding one or more lines freehand, than to snub two lines around a dock cleat... well, it isn't! I've seen a few people get carried overboard by failing to snub a line around a handy cleat. And even with a single half-turn, you've got a LOT of mechanical advantage, compared to freehand.

Apr 26, 2010
Hunter 40 Legend City Island Yacht Club
You have so many replies that I'm sure you may not even read this but:
I have single handed my Hunter for 16 years. Docking single-handedly depends on the weather and water conditions plus how you're going to dock. So many variables.
My slip in a tidal River. The current there can be in either direction up to 5 knots. The hard time is when I have to go into the slip with the current and there is a 20 + knot wind from the side. I solve this problem with an idea from another sailor.
My slip has 3 pilings. Two on the ends and one on the left at the dock. To my right is a finger Pier which is attached to the right piling at the end.
I took two old jib sheets, attached one to each end piling and ran them forward on either side of the boat to the dock where I installed 2 large cleats on the doc inline with the end pilings. The sheets are tied to the cleats so they are not on the water nor touching the boat.
When I am ready to leave, I criss cross the lines tightly to the opposite cleats. This makes the lines X at the Bow. I now start the engine and put it in gear slowly forward. Once the boat is in gear it will be stopped by the crossed lines and will not move. You can now least rely remove all dock lines and back out safely.

Upon return, I drive the boat directly into the criss crossed lines. The lines stop the boat before it hits the dock and i can then take my time to attach all my preset dock lines back onto the boat. It is extremely simple to dock a 40 foot boat this way. Once the boat is back on its original dock lines, I untie the guide line old jib sheets and we tied them to the opposite cleats so the lines don't chafe the boat or go in the water.

For those of you who have to talk side 2 a doc. It is important to know which way your book goes when you put it in reverse. This is crucial 4 docking and undocking as the boat will slide sideways One Direction. If the wind is off the dock you need to have your lines ready, led aft so you can grab them quickly as you exit the boat. Know how sharp your boat will turn, Drive-In and turn Sharp. Before the boat gets perfectly along side the doc, jump with the power lines in hand before the boat completes its rotation. Quickly cleat the line up and grab the stern line to type it up as well. It's not pretty but the boat won't float away. If you can figure out the spring line and getting it in gear the right direction that's a great way. Good luck !

Sep 3, 2015
Oday 22 Duluth
Thanks for all the advice. That had been my second day on a new boat, new slip, and outboard motor. In the past I had a slip where I could choose sides depending on the wind. Single handing with the wind blowing off the dock is a new skill set for me and will take some practice. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Sep 3, 2015
Oday 22 Duluth
Docking, in particular single handed dockings, are like snowflakes. No two alike.

The best advice anyone one can give to to be totally aware of your surrounding; wind, current, waves, other boats.

A lot of people throw out the old 'don't dock any faster than your willing to hit' line but I don't buy that. Know how your boat slows and stops when given reverse, and trust in that. If you need to come in faster to keep way on then slow at the very end, do that. There is nothing worse than getting caught going slow and loosing steerage while solo docking. You're hosed. Maintain way at all cost.
Thanks Jackdaw. Good advice as always.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The other thing I did which really saved my sanity while I was learning to dock, which is always solo BTW, even then I have helpers, is to install a bridle setup. Picture a line running from the outer port piling to the dock piling/cleat. Then another run the same way on the starboard side. Then a horizontal fender at the point you want your bow to stop, about level with the bow eye. Tie the lines to the fender eyes so it doesn't move. You end up with a V shaped bridle with the fender at the point of the V. If I lose steerage or the wind tries to blow me into the next slip, the v shaped bridle keeps me centered. The lines have enough stretch for the spring line to work but they keep me off my neighbors.
When my teenage son and I took a charter certification class several years ago, the first day was all harbor work. Each student had to back out of the slip move around in the harbor, and dock again. My son volunteered to be the first one at the helm. After maneuvering around the harbor, he brought her back into the slip. I thought he was coming in a bit fast, but I figured the trainer would not want me to comment. He did bring it in "hot", and the trainer was calling for more reverse power. I knew he was not going to slow up in time. I kept thinking that the big concrete dock was going to leave quite a mark on the Catalina 36 we were training on.

All of a sudden, the boat slows fast, and I noticed that the pilings on either side of the boat pulled inward a bit. Turns out the charter service hadn't rigged a " catch net" of sorts to stop their students from plowing into the dock.

Not sure whose insurance would have had to pay for any damage, but I sure was glad they rigged up the catch line.

Greg

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
I set up my dock lines up on the boat before entering the marina, A stern line and a spring line. I hang the free end of the lines on the side of the lifeline gate. I then pull into the slip very slowly when the gate reaches the end of the dock, I quickly exit the cockpit grab the lines on my through the gate and jump onto the pier holding both lines. I cleat the stern line to stop all forward momentum and then use the spring line to keep the boat close to the dock so that it doesn't drift into my neighbor. I have been single handing for years and I have never had a mishap using this method. It sounds like it would require a sprint but it really doesn't require a rush it just requires you to move when the gate reaches the end of the dock.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Aft Spring lines are your friend!
I use an aft spring that is secured to the first/outside windward piling when approaching the dock. The bitter end is secured to the piling and an eye spice is attached to the midship cleat. When entering the slip at a controlled speed to compensate for wind & current, I pickup the spring and attach it to the midship cleat. The line is preset because you don't have time to be fumbling with adjusting the line when alone. Return to the helm quickly, as the spring becomes tight, turn the wheel Away from the dock that the spring is attached to and power up. The boat will "walk" toward the dock uneventfully. You have to adjust your RPMs to make it walk according to prevailing conditions. I don't care if you have a small , midsized, or large boat; this technique will work. The boat will stay against the dock as long as the engine remains in forward gear. Then it is a simple process of attaching the bow & stern lines without jumping off the boat. I always approach the windward side of the dock; therefore, after the breast lines are attached, the motor is taken out of gear, the boat will settle into the middle of the slip. You can then pickup the leeward dock lines and secure. Very simple with a little practice and rigging your aft spring lines properly. Highly recommended!

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
For me it's just been practice and a good knowledge of the wind, current and tide in your marina and how your boat reacts to the throttle. Try to practice single handed docking when you aren't solo...you may feel more comfortable docking solo knowing someone is there to help. Then you'll be an expert when it comes time to do it alone again.

There are so many techniques, as you can see here, so take the ones that look like they'll work and try them. You are the only one that can figure out how to do it best since you know your marina, local weather and currents and your boat. The universal rule should be....no matter what technique you use, have everything ready to go before you make your approach!

"If there's one thing in my life that's missing, it's the time that I spend alone. Sailing on the cool and bright clear water."

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I set up my dock lines up on the boat before entering the marina, A stern line and a spring line. I hang the free end of the lines on the side of the lifeline gate. I then pull into the slip very slowly when the gate reaches the end of the dock, I quickly exit the cockpit grab the lines on my through the gate and jump onto the pier holding both lines. I cleat the stern line to stop all forward momentum and then use the spring line to keep the boat close to the dock so that it doesn't drift into my neighbor. I have been single handing for years and I have never had a mishap using this method. It sounds like it would require a sprint but it really doesn't require a rush it just requires you to move when the gate reaches the end of the dock.
and that's how I do it also- in many many dockings, from the Mexican border, around to Annapolis, Maryland, ,and return. Except I DON'T jump.. Have gotten too old to JUMP :)