Securing Boom while trailering?

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
I have done various tie downs for my boom, but I have never been super happy with them.
I usually forget I need to do something until I am about to hook the boat up to my car. I usually put some towels in the mast bracket and just tie it down in 2 places. I only travel 2 times a year to get it to the club and get it home. The trip is about 20 minutes and mostly 40 MPH and below.

FWIW, I have never really figured out why there is the second hook on the boom holder. I thought at first you just brought the boom up and put it in the second cut, but that cant happen.

I am interested to see how others secure their booms for trailering.

Currently I am thinking of gluing together some hard open cell packing I took from some UPS's. Making a U shaped holder and just tie it down hard to the eye for the keel bungee and at the tabernacle.

Thanks.

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 30 TR 3571 Cocoa, FL
I have done various tie downs for my boom, but I have never been super happy with them.
I usually forget I need to do something until I am about to hook the boat up to my car. I usually put some towels in the mast bracket and just tie it down in 2 places. I only travel 2 times a year to get it to the club and get it home. The trip is about 20 minutes and mostly 40 MPH and below.

FWIW, I have never really figured out why there is the second hook on the boom holder. I thought at first you just brought the boom up and put it in the second cut, but that cant happen.

I am interested to see how others secure their booms for trailering.

Currently I am thinking of gluing together some hard open cell packing I took from some UPS's. Making a U shaped holder and just tie it down hard to the eye for the keel bungee and at the tabernacle.

Thanks.
That should work well enough. I have trailered my H18 (next gen 170) over 600 miles one way several times essentially the same way. I use a gardeners kneeling pad that is pulled into a J shape with a piece of line at each boom end. Tie one end of a line around pad handhold, pull the other through a hole drilled such that the pad can't slip by the boom end ftgs. then tie the loose end of forward pad to the mast bracket retaining pin. Boom lies flat to one side or the other of the centerboard trunk on pads and is prevented from any boom to boat contact by the pads. Lying on the long side of the "J" keeps boom from rolling around and prevents too much side to side movement. I suppose for rough roads you could secure the aft end to the rudder pin/mast support to further restrict it.
I'm with you on that useless extra slot cut in the mast support (???)
BTW, wrap a jib sheet up and around the mast (speaders angled down) a couple of times, tie off to the other sheet end and tighten each (so mast doesn't pull off center) a bit to dampen all the road bounce mast gyrations. For long trips I take the speaders off but wouldn't bother for a short trip like yours.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I have tried several solutions and have settled on one. I use the lower mast support slot and secure with heavy bungees. The other end is slung under the mast with another bungee.