Resurfacing cockpit ranger

babadu

Jun 14, 2023
ranger sloop ma
Paint flaking and tiny surface level spider cracking. There is a non slip like sandpaper texture on the benches and floor. Should I remove this somehow before gel coating cracks and just paint everything? What is proper order of steps to make a nice clean cockpit start to finish.
There is no core rot problem. Thanks
IMG_0727.jpg
IMG_0724.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Gelcoat cracks and crazing typical do not extend into the fiberglass, so it is unlikely the core in the lids has become wet.

The first step is to remove all the flaking paint and thoroughly clean.

Hot off the press is Andy Miller's latest video on painting gelcoat nonskid. This video will give you a good idea on how to proceed. Boatworks Today is one the most valuable resources online.

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
this path would be the least amount of work

2BE0C2A9-9431-4A5E-9561-AA28A2D136E7.jpeg

Search for boat decking and a lot of options come up

babadu

Jun 14, 2023
ranger sloop ma
@rgranger diid you do that on yours? Do you need to prepare before laying it? Is it custom cut or do it yourself? Is it good drainage or does water puddle on it

babadu

Jun 14, 2023
ranger sloop ma
@dlochner Thanks, Probably clean it/ power wash and then light sand to put a part 1 top surface coat on. Im guess I can do this same process on the entire top deck of the boat? Might be dumb question but if it's a thin layer of paint and sanding down to the gel coat cause any gel coat damage if sanding too deep/hard to the gel coat.

babadu

Jun 14, 2023
ranger sloop ma
Also will sanding on the non-skid wear and smooth the non skid popcorn/sandpaper texture?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
@dlochner Thanks, Probably clean it/ power wash and then light sand to put a part 1 top surface coat on. Im guess I can do this same process on the entire top deck of the boat? Might be dumb question but if it's a thin layer of paint and sanding down to the gel coat cause any gel coat damage if sanding too deep/hard to the gel coat.
Also will sanding on the non-skid wear and smooth the non skid popcorn/sandpaper texture?
Gelcoat is only cosmetic, it is not a structural component. Yes it is possible to sand through the gelcoat and yes, sanding the non-skid will smooth out the non-skid making it skid. Painting over the nonskid will also fill in the non-skid. Andy goes over this in the video I shared.

To do the job properly, clean and sand everything smooth, then use a fairing compound to remove gouges and uneven spots, then prime, and paint.

• Helpful

babadu

Jun 14, 2023
ranger sloop ma
@dlochner Yup just got to that part of vid. Curious of how it would look with the filled in/film over the peak to peak in the non skid. thanks I'll have to make that decision.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
I had read somewhere that the artificial teak coatings come in sheets for about $275 a sheet and are glued down . The disadvantage is the product does not last very long , then it has to be redone. Has any one here had experience with how long the sea Tek artificial surface lasts outside , in a cockpit, or on a sliding hatch, for example??

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
My first application of faux teak lasted total of three years before being removed. It was a cheap product and not SEADEK, just to be clear. After the second year, the UV broke the genuine simulated teak wood by turning it into dust. What was left over was the black underlay. It was also not waterproof (it soaked up the moisture) as the product was not closed cell. I am in the midst of replacing the old with real 5mm thick gray non slip SEADEK. I have tested a sample swatch for over a year now and find it not to be affected by UV. Here in the picture below you can see the old and the new side by side.
IMG_1031.jpeg

and a picture of the cabin top after removing the old faux teak and removing the glue. Feel free to PM me for any questions.

IMG_1032.jpeg

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
I like the concept of good sea teak. but don't like the gray color.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I like the concept of good sea teak. but don't like the gray color.
I consider myself blessed because I actually prefer the grey color more.

Ya gotta go with what you like...

dj

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I like the grey too. If that the alternative to re-painting non slip I'd go with it. I had a red Ranger and I think parts of the deck were grayish. If memory serves it was a good look.