Rerun missing halyards

Spazz

Oct 9, 2016
Hunter 1978 cherubini 30 shoal draft Little Falls
I suppose i can ask the marina to help me hoist it down. Its a heavy bugger that i cant imagine her and i being able to lift and move down on our own.

I do have saw horses so that wouldnt be that big a deal.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I think it's clear that OP's mast is not stepped, so talk of bosun's chairs and going up the mast are not the problem. Jssailem gave a good explanation of using an electrician's fish tape to run a messanger line back to the mast exit. If there is a problem at the mast head, these can usually be resolved by removing it with six screws and working the sheaves close up. It's a good idea to inspect and lubricate (sailkote) them at this time anyhow.
Not so clear: "Boat is on the hard with the mast on the deck already stepped."

Also the boat's location is not clear, is it in Fair Haven, NY or Little Falls NY? If it is in Fair Haven, I can probably make some time to go up and help, as my boat is in Fair Haven.

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
Another electricians trick...get some nylon pull string, a foam "mouse" (all in the electrical section of your big box store) and use a shop vac to pull it through.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Your yard should have a spar-storage area with the saw-bucks set up. Impress that gal with your problem-solving skills!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We have things under control. Spazz's boat is in my marina. We'll take a look at it this fall and help him out next spring. The mast is down and on deck, the marina is run by good people so I'm sure we'll get their cooperation.

Feb 24, 2013
Coronado C25 San Pedro, CA
We have things under control. Spazz's boat is in my marina. We'll take a look at it this fall and help him out next spring. The mast is down and on deck, the marina is run by good people so I'm sure we'll get their cooperation.
The benefit of joining a forum and having a close-nit community.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Just curious: How do you climb a mast (bosuns chair or climbing harness) without halyards?

Ken
OMG! That is hysterical. I am laughing my butt off! I forgot he removed them all. I have like, oh, 4 halyards! Oh, and a topping lift, and mast steps, and a bosuns chair, and a gin pole and crutch... sooooo, getting to the top of my mast is not something that strikes me as a problem. I totally forgot that not everyone has like 5 ways to do it like me!
(Sheepish grin) Thanks for pointing the blaringly obvious! Haha! Geez, I'ma dolt!
Maybe he should park next to a tall tree and jump! Hmmmm.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Can you use the jib/spare halyard to snake up the main and spinikar halyards along with a messenger line and use the messenger line to bring the jib/ spare halyard back down? Not sure how you mast is set up but that would make sense to me.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="... That is hysterical. I am laughing my butt off! I forgot he removed them all. I have ..., 4 halyards, topping lift, mast steps, bosuns chair, and a gin pole and... sooooo,...Geez, I'm a dolt!....[/QUOTE]

I suspect it's the "gin"...

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Only thing I have to add is use a metal fish tape, not the plastic/fiberglass ones. They will just coil up inside the mast. I learned that the hard way. I'm demasting my boat this week to replace the wiring.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: on the metal fish tape. Justin PM me if you run into any wiring issues. Just finished a restore of my 1974 mast.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
:plus: on the metal fish tape. Justin PM me if you run into any wiring issues. Just finished a restore of my 1974 mast.
Thanks for the offer John. I have a pretty good background in avionics so hopefully this will be simple. I do plan to switch to a SPDT toggle switch for the steaming and anchor lights and free up a space on my control panel. Also thinking of replacing one fixture with a combo steaming/deck light.

Wasn't meaning to hijack this thread. Perhaps the OP might want to look at their wiring condition too while the mast is down..

CraigS

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 310 Fort Walton Beach, FL
Have also found it helpful to put a small length of small steel chain at the end of the snake (if horizontal) or messenger line (vertical) to facilitate getting out the mast-side exits by using a pencil magnet to guide the chain out.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Crane. Almost all boat yards have a crane. I lost my jib halyard and motored to launch area and they used their crane to put halyard back thru.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
How I did mine was attach it to a bicycle chain and drop it down the mast with line attached. Worked really well. The give in the chain and weight worked really well together.

Cheers
2 Old Pirates

Sep 21, 2014
MacGregor 25 Seabrook
I was going to suggest chain too... or glowsticks. But it sounds like the problem is under control. Besides, chain might be difficult with the mast laying on its side.

Jul 26, 2015
Watkins 29 Ft. Lauderdale
I was going to suggest the same.... get your self an Electricians Fish Tape.. they're made from flexible nylon plastic... You can probably rent one for the day at a tool rental shop. Its thin enough to fish down through the passages inside your mast.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
If using the electricians fishtape, there is often a hook of some sort on the end. Wrap tape around this so it does not catch anything if you try to pull it out. It could get stuck in the middle, maybe on a wire if this hook is not covered. Now you would be rescuing the rescuer....

Cheers