Replacing Sheaves on a Catalina 27

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 27 5231 Lake Champlain
I have an 82 model 27' and the main is becoming increasingly hard to raise. I can hear some squealing and feel a fair amount of resistance which I believe is from the sheave at the top of the mast. Our boat club has a manual shore crane and I was thinking of using it to drop the mast and replace one of both of the sheaves while it's down. Catalina Direct sells them for $45 each. Is dropping the mast and replacing the sheaves a difficult job?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Is dropping the mast and replacing the sheaves a difficult job?
Yes and No.
First time experience will be a challenge. See if you can get help. Sheave replacement means removing old ones that may have corrosion on the fasteners. Sure will be easier on the ground than aloft on the mast.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Is dropping the mast and replacing the sheaves a difficult job?
You can change out the sheaves without dropping the mast. You can secure the sheaves with some wire. Wrap it around the circumference and twist it tight to keep the sheave securely captive. You might be able to do this without removing the halyard, but if not, a thin messenger attached to the halyard should be easy to push aside as you move things around.

Here's a diagram of my 1977's masthead. Note the width of the sheave's groove. Compare the diagram with your new sheaves.
They are narrow, because back in the day it was common to use wire to rope halyards. Catalina 27's came equipped with 1/8" wire to 3/8 rope. You should know what you have ahead of time. Especially if you are planning to change out the halyards. That could also be reason you're having difficulty with them.. all rope can get wet and old and swell up... getting pinched rolling over the top of the sheaves.

Long ago, when I first changed my halyards from wire to rope to all rope, I built "tapered" halyards, where the core was 3/16" dyneema(stronger than wire!) and the back half (the part that is handled, cleated and winched) is covered with 3/8" outer layer of a basic double braid polyester line. The spice is pretty easy, instructions for the "tuck" or "bury" splice can be found in the Samson Rope splicing guide. You don't need any special fids for this splice. Good luck.

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Thanks for the great info, Joe. The diagram is especially helpful.

Both my main and jib halyards are 5/16 rope which I think is the right diameter. The jib halyard moves freely over the sheave but the main creaks and groans as it makes its way up the mast and the weight of the sail increases.

Dumb question: I've never been up a mast. How many halyards do you need to hoist an average size dude up there? I ask since obviously I can't change the sheave using the same halyard I'm up there on. I would have to go up the mast twice to change each sheave.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Based on your query, you should probably read this article.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thanks for the great info, Joe. The diagram is especially helpful.

Both my main and jib halyards are 5/16 rope which I think is the right diameter. The jib halyard moves freely over the sheave but the main creaks and groans as it makes its way up the mast and the weight of the sail increases.

Dumb question: I've never been up a mast. How many halyards do you need to hoist an average size dude up there? I ask since obviously I can't change the sheave using the same halyard I'm up there on. I would have to go up the mast twice to change each sheave.
Measure the new sheaves that you already have. Just the width across the channel. If you have some 5/16 handy, see how it runs in the groove. My halyards are 5/16 with core AND cover, but the part that goes over the top sheaves is core only, and that is 3/16. Thats how I accommodated the 1/4" limitation of the original sheaves. Most people will say it's okay if the rope rides up a little.. the clearance is so tight it is unlikely the rope would pop off and get jammed. Especially since so many people have roller furling and don't really use their jib halyards that much.

To answer your other question, one halyard is strong enough to hold, the others are back upo. If you can, tie the halyards on rather than using the shackle. When I've used a bosun's chair to climb the mast I'll use the spinnaker halyard as back up.. but you could use the mainsheet. Switching between all of them as you progress. For added safety and extra convenience, riggers take a length of strapping with stirrups on each end ( or loops sewn in) to straddle the top fitting. These act as foot rests, allowing you to stand to get up even with your work so your arms don't get fatigued as fast as they would sitting in the chair. My plan would be to connect two halyards, one for lifting the other for backup, leaving the third free to work on. When you're finished with one, you can let that one take the load while you direct your attention to another, and so on. Obviously, you'll need some help. Just make sure you explain precisely what it is you want them to do. The other alternative is to call a local independent rigger to do the job for you. It'll cost $200 or so. It shouldn't take them more than an hour.
Finally, this may sound complex, it isn't really. Like all things boat related, you just need to think it out ahead of time. Step by step. For instance, how are you planning to get your tools an parts up the mast with you. And how to you minimize losing a tool, seeing it hit the deck and cracking the gel coat before doing a swan dive into the water. Remember, think ahead, anticipate the job, so you take only what you need. Get lanyards for your tools, a small bag on a long cord will help ferry parts up from you deck assistant. Get a head light, a belt with a pouch, wear long pants and sneakers. ask questions... okay. I'm sure you have more... good luck. it's a nice project. btw, if you get curious about building "tapered" halyards do a search, I've written about it a few times over the years.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
...the umpteenth collorary to Murphy's Law: While up the mast your most expensive socket wrench will break the binnacle compass before landing in the drink.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
While @Joe's info is superb and spot on, if you have never lowered your mast, there is some merit to doing it so that you can learn how the process works now when it is convenient for you rather than some time later when you are forced to under pressure. You can also give everything a good inspection at your leisure rather than while dangling from a halyard.

That said, I used to enjoy going up the mast as well, it's great fun and an awesome view if you are not afraid of heights.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@shank As your in Lake Champlain, are you on the hard or in the water already?
If on the hard I understand some/most marinas do not allow owners to climb their mast. While cradles and jack stands are designed to hold up your boat, they are not designed to with an additional couple hundred pounds at the tip of the mast.
Even if in the water, there are a lot of other factors to consider before climbing a mast. Does the boat provide a stable platform? Is the lifting halyard new/strong enough to trust your life with? What are you using for a safety line and do you trust your life with it? If you're replacing a bad sheave how do you know the sheave on the lifting halyard won't fail stranding you up the mast?
Considering those things it seems a lot safer to just lower the mast, especially with a boat the size of a C27. And as @JBP-PA said, it will be good time to inspect everything on the mast and make other repairs as well.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it's the easiest and safest way to do so.

shank

Apr 20, 2016
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I'm going to lower the mast (with some help) to replace the sheaves, replace the masthead light with a LED and, as you suggested, just check out the rigging and make sure it all looks good. Like you said, it's safer and will be a good learning experience. Thanks again.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
just check out the rigging and make sure it all looks good.
I think you have chosen a smart plan to resolve the sheave issue. Like you say it also provides additional opportunities.

Document your findings. Images of the sheaves. Why you think it was difficult to use. Look at bearings and accumulation of dirt/crud/line chafe in and around the mast head.

When looking at the standing rigging look for signs of hole elongation, metal cracking, metal fatigue, etc. Take a picture of anything that looks unusual or out of the ordinary. (i.e. stains on stainless)

Rigging in northern New York lasts longer than on boats in Florida., but sadly not for ever.