Replacing Prop Shaft for 84 Hunter 31

Aug 10, 2022
Hunter 31 Rock Hall, MD
Hey everyone,

I apologize for the basic questions, but I truly appreciate everyone's knowledge on this forum. I'm relatively new to boat ownership and am tackling most of the maintenance on my boat myself for the first time, with guidance from YouTube and this forum.

I own a 1984 Hunter 31, and last season my anodes detached early in the season (not sure exactly when), and unfortunately, my prop shaft suffered significant damage (I've attached pictures).

I managed to remove the damaged prop shaft myself and have already bought a replacement, along with all the necessary parts. While removing the old shaft, I quickly realized the rudder is in the way. I’m not sure how to remove the rudder or if it’s even necessary for installing the new prop shaft. Does anyone know if there’s a way to install the new shaft without removing the rudder, or if removal is necessary, how to go about it?

I understand it's a complex question and hard to answer without seeing the boat and having more details, but any advice or support on this project would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hopefully you got the shaft from a reputable shop that sold you the right stuff…including the coupling. Also a very good time to replace the cutlass bearing…and consider a dripless shaft seal.

I don’t have a Hunter, but when I replaced the shaft, coupling, cutlass bearing and added a Volvo Dripless shaft seal on my O’Day 322, I did it with the rudder in place. Of course, the shaft lined up directly with the rudder, but I found a few tricks to get the new shaft in without dropping the rudder.

1) remove the cutlass bearing to give you a little wiggle room at that point on the shaft. Also, remove any shaft seal or stuffing box, so you don’t bind there.

2) Depending on the geometry of your rudder, P bracket and the shaft log (hole in the hull where the shaft goes in) you may be able to just slide the shaft in. I got mine through the P bracket fine, but really had to pull it to get the end of the shaft into the shaft log…I was worried about bending the shaft, but once I got it into the hole, and the other passed free of the rudder, it was easy to finish the job.

I didn’t film too many details of getting the new shaft in….but maybe this gives you some ideas…

You want to be careful not to break or move the P bracket. Having someone to lend a hand working the shaft past the rudder and into the shaft log would be Good. I did it myself, but just barely.

Good luck,

Greg

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
I watched a YT video where someone replaced their prop shaft (while the boat was in the water!) by raising the engine enough to be able to remove the old shaft and install the new one from inside the cabin. Depending on the configuration of your boat you may be able to adapt the technique to your situation.

Sailing Naida - Replacing the Prop Shaft

Also, don't forget that the new prop needs to be lapped to the taper on the prop shaft. It is relatively easy to do. I'm sure that you could find YT videos on the topic.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022
Hunter 31 Rock Hall, MD
You want to be careful not to break or move the P bracket. Having someone to lend a hand working the shaft past the rudder and into the shaft log would be Good. I did it myself, but just barely.

Good luck,

Greg
Thank you so much for your post and video. This is all perfect advice. I am replacing everything you listed during this project so this is perfect thank you.

Aug 10, 2022
Hunter 31 Rock Hall, MD
I watched a YT video where someone replaced their prop shaft (while the boat was in the water!) by raising the engine enough to be able to remove the old shaft and install the new one from inside the cabin. Depending on the configuration of your boat you may be able to adapt the technique to your situation.

Sailing Naida - Replacing the Prop Shaft

Also, don't forget that the new prop needs to be lapped to the taper on the prop shaft. It is relatively easy to do. I'm sure that you could find YT videos on the topic.
This was a great find thank you!