Recommendations for MFD and Instruments Upgrade in Hunter 30T

Mar 17, 2023
Hunter 30T Bay Point Marina
I want to update my Garmin MFD as it is very old (GPSmap 182C). The number of products and information is overwhelming.
Garmin.jpg

I would appreciate recommendations on a good brand and model that supports bay and coastal cruising. I can't afford the best with the latest capabilities, but need a good, dependable MFD with a larger display, readable in sun, and other essential features. I have the 30T's original Raymarine Autohelm and don't know what new technology supports it. I have the factory Raymarine depth finder on the helm.
Thanks!

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
If you go with a Raymarine plotter, it should interface easily with your other Raymarine systems. I got a pair of E90W units (being discontinued) a few years ago at two-for-one pricing. Good luck with your search.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Watch for sales in the beginning of the year as retailers and manufacturers look to move product for the new models.

My preference is for B&G. They have the longest history of the three big companies, (Garmin, Raymarine, B&G) in providing sailing friendly instruments. They also use NMEA standard connectors, Raymarine does not.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So far as I know there isn't anywhere to practice or try out menus for GPS units. That is a shame because that's one of the most important features in my opinion. Ease of navigation in the menus. Finding the information you need when you need it!
My first GPS was Garmin so I kinda have enforced intuition of their menus but it's not always smooth. I can go to more modern Garmin units on other boats and feel lost. Instead of try outs we get a blizzard of marketing BS which means virtually nothing to most end users. Do you need daily updates of ENC charts? WiFi updates with subscription (You need Wifi on the boat)? I don't doubt that that 6X core or whatever can redraw screens faster but most units can do that. Different screen technologies? I'm sure there are improvements but how can you tell how much they are worth. And they can vary among the same line of units. I'm just saying the marketing obscures what the end user needs to decide what unit is the best choice.
If you are already on the Raymarine Plantation it's probable best to stay there. They count on that.