Recent info on Titan vs ACCO G4 anchor chain

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Ian, What sub? I was on subs too, east coast though.

Thanks for the video, it is great. They left out the step for the weld though. Wish they had shown that. I'm guessing induction welding but it might be something else. In Capta's chain failure, all this points to either wire feed material failure or less likely but possible, contamination of the wire before the welding step leaving inclusions in the link at or near the weld. Not sure which but in any case it is disconcerting.

Other than Capta does has anyone purchased Pearless/ACCO chain in the, say, the last 4 years and what are your experiences? Capta's is only one data point but its the only data point I have right now. Who else in the US manufactures either BBB or G4 chain other than Pearless/ACCO. I don't know if I'll have any success but I'm going to call Pearless and see where they get their raw wire feed.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
Ian, What sub? I was on subs too, east coast though.

Thanks for the video, it is great. They left out the step for the weld though. Wish they had shown that. I'm guessing induction welding but it might be something else. In Capta's chain failure, all this points to either wire feed material failure or less likely but possible, contamination of the wire before the welding step leaving inclusions in the link at or near the weld. Not sure which but in any case it is disconcerting.

Other than Capta does has anyone purchased Pearless/ACCO chain in the, say, the last 4 years and what are your experiences? Capta's is only one data point but its the only data point I have right now. Who else in the US manufactures either BBB or G4 chain other than Pearless/ACCO. I don't know if I'll have any success but I'm going to call Pearless and see where they get their raw wire feed.

Feb 2, 2010
The sub is a UK Trafalgar SSN, i was the sub hunter flying in Nimrods for 31 years. This was taken at the north pole.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ian, Nimrod is a good platform. I was on the Lockheed P2 Neptune back in the 70's on the east coast for a couple of years. The P3 Orion was in the fleet but not yet to our operation area.

Feb 2, 2010
Ian, Nimrod is a good platform. I was on the Lockheed P2 Neptune back in the 70's on the east coast for a couple of years. The P3 Orion was in the fleet but not yet to our operation area.
Here is another photo, this time with a UK SSN and a USN SSN, again at the North Pole. Navigating up there was really difficult for the inertial nav systems and magnetic compasses werent to happy either. This time there were two Nimrods and the crews played cricket on the snow.
341170_1527911733093_1520156261_o.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
Here's an archived photo of one of the P2's. When I flew they did not have the pretty red tail... They were the basic white and grey. We blended into the grey skies we so often flew in.
naspaxp2_05_18dec2006.jpg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'm sure this all has something to do with chain, but I can't figure out what it is.:badbad:

Oct 22, 2014
Would you believe they use chain to practice secureing the plane to the deck of a ship?

Feb 2, 2010
Would you believe they use chain to practice secureing the plane to the deck of a ship?
We also used chain to tie down our Nimrods if it was going to really blow. Every airfield has eyes set in the concrete for that purpose, not sure what the quality of chain