Radar Data cable in mast of Catalina 30

Tkman

Jul 6, 2019
Catalina Catalina 30, MKII 1987 Bellingham
I need to pull a new data cable to enable my radar. I have an existing cable that does not work. I do have working power So I know it’s the data cable.
Do I need to unstep the mast or can I use the existing cable to pull it down?
Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
1. Do I need to unstep the mast
2. or can I use the existing cable to pull it down?
Impossible to know for sure…
It may be a connector problem. If it is a cat5 connector, perhaps changing the connector would be enough to fix the problem. Often it is not a problem with the wire, it is a problem with the connectors (corrosion).

I that did not work the my first approach would be to try option #2. That often works unless the installer puts wire holds inside the mast. (A bad practice).

Last resort is to drop the mast. If you have the mast down then it may be time to refit the mast hardware. (I know project creep.)

Tkman

Jul 6, 2019
Thanks John for the reply. We changed the cat5 at the hub without solving the issue. Next we will try up the mast.
Tom

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My C30 had a mouse line in place but I used the old antenna line to pull a new one up the mast. The C30 mast has conduit running up the mast. You can access all the wiring at the bottom by removing one the the halyard exit blocks. Look for the line of rivets going up the mast. Then pull the exit block that is closest.
The top of the mast may be an issue but looks like it could be done. Here is a photo.
IMG_1764.JPG

The flat plate directly on top of the mast only has a few holes in it to allow the lines and cables through to the top of the vertical piece. If you radar cable runs to the top, your golden. If it is lower and comes out of the side it may be iffy due to the hole size.

Probably how many cables running up the conduit will dictate how easily you can pull the new cable.

Tkman

Jul 6, 2019
Thanks Ward. My radar cable exits mid-mast by the spreader. I don’t think it is in conduit. I can see by the exit block both wires continuing up after entering the mast column just above the bilge. It appears that I should pull the cable up the mast since I see a soft rubber diaphragm pointing upwards where the wires go toward the radar. (Maybe to prevent rainwater from the bilge?). Anyhow, I’ve been busy with other things and haven’t gone up the mast yet. (Weather crappy also).
Tom
Bellingham,WA