Racing rules question RE: reefing/reducing sail

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I understand where Roadking Larry is comming from. I was the fleet-captain racing for one year with our club. He does need to be congratulated on accepting the job. We had raced for approximately 6 years and continued to race while I was in that position. What I found was there were a lot of people more than willing to help me. We wrote the SI's and changed a couple of things that were causing problems in past races. I immeadiately got emails from older wiser racers saying things like "do you mean" or we tried that once and here was the results. One thing I changed was the order of starts. First start true cruising followed by non-spinnaker and lastly spinnaker. At the start of the first race I saw that was not a good idea. The slower accelerating large boats coming to and crossing the line were constantly dodging the quicker smaller boats. It was not safe in my opinion. I got hate mail from one spinnaker fleet captain that said he had earned the right to go first. Didn't even ask if I would reconsider. I had just posted the change back. Listen to the geezers but yu don't have to do what they say if it is not correct. You are in charge.
All true. I'd only suggest that proposed rules are discussed openly with input from everybody, and changes made in consultation with fleet captains. Get consensus, decide and then document. Good rules will normally makes sense to everyone.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
We have our pre-season skippers meeting next week. It is my intent to solicit a few volunteers to assist with drafting a set of club specific SI/rules and get it all in black and white.