Put my 170 together today. Had a problem getting the sail up.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
That's great news.

Now while on the trailer figure out the reefing system. Learn to reef and shake out a reef while the boom is out over the beam.

Aways start off with a reefed sail.

bonus points if your son learns how to reef as well.

I went out singlehanding yesterday between 1 and 4. The weather included the full range for the hunter with one person. This might be a good guide once youve been out a couple times.

Attachments

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
I am still trying to figure out how to do the reefing.

Ya I know there are some pictures of single line reefing and such, I will be honest I just have not figured out how to make it happen with my setup. My boom does not seem to have everything needed for the single line things people have drawn up.

So I am just not sure how I need to tie the reef tack point to the boom for the 170 I have (there seems to be more than one factory boom).

Without getting fancy, just a basic pull the sail down and get both the tack part and the clew parts properly tied for a reef. I am pretty sure I need to also have something to wrap the loose part of the sail, but not tie it to the boom.

Of course a picture is worth like a million words to me at times.

Thanks.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
That's great news.

Now while on the trailer figure out the reefing system. Learn to reef and shake out a reef while the boom is out over the beam.

Aways start off with a reefed sail.

bonus points if your son learns how to reef as well.

I went out singlehanding yesterday between 1 and 4. The weather included the full range for the hunter with one person. This might be a good guide once youve been out a couple times.
@BobbyFunn
Is that wind chart in kts or mph?

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
So I am just not sure how I need to tie the reef tack point to the boom for the 170 I have (there seems to be more than one factory boom).
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...thing-to-beware-of.187703/page-4#post-1406877

See what you can make out with this info. You need two lines. A line for the boom that acts as the new outhaul, and a really short line to act as a new "cunningham" since there isnt a claw.

When i reef i leave the tack pinned, but remove the bottom two slugs. Not everyone does that.

Use bunggeballs mid sail but dont go aroubd the boom.

Attachments

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Without getting fancy, just a basic pull the sail down and get both the tack part and the clew parts properly tied for a reef. I am pretty sure I need to also have something to wrap the loose part of the sail, but not tie it to the boom.

Of course a picture is worth like a million words to me at times.

Thanks.
It looks like you might be missing some fittings. The end of your boom is just the end of a hollow tube. Usually there is an end fitting there, but you do have a couple of straps, one on top at the end and one on the stbd side near the end, plus a cheek block on the stbd side of the boom. There doesn't seem to be anything at the tack end of the boom to secure the tack grommet for reefing. You can either look for a suitable fitting or make something that works for the purpose.

Your sail has grommets for the tack and the clew, which are reinforced. The 2 grommets in the field of the sail are not reinforced and used only for gathering up the loose sail with small line. You have just one set of reef points.

So, without adding fittings to your boom, you can reef basically with a 2-line system. The clew end would be tied down at the clew with a line that is secured to the strap at the end of the boom, passing through the clew grommet, then down around the cheek block and secured forward on the boom at a cleat. The tack end would be secured with a line that passes through the tack grommet and is secured to itself under the boom somehow to hold the tack end down. You could probably make a line that has the correct length, that you pass through the tack permanently, so that it is ready to be secured with clasps under the boom anytime you want to reef.

You don't want to release the reef at anytime while you have those interior grommets secured to the boom with a line to gather up the sail. That is one way of tearing the sail.

In fact, I never bother to gather the sail when I am at the 1st reef. I just let the excess sail hang loose. It's not in the way and it is doing no harm, so it is not worth the effort if I'm out for a day sail. I don't even gather up the sail for the 2nd reef point, but with that amount of loose sail it is looking very sloppy. But I don't have a 2nd reef in very often so I don't bother then either.

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
I think I have it now.
The clew end I figured out.

The tack can just come down to the cleat on the mast.
I was only thinking the tack needed to get attached to the boom.

Thanks!!!!

Mar 21, 2018
hunter 146 Keuka Lake NY/ Jersey Shore
It looks like you might be missing some fittings. The end of your boom is just the end of a hollow tube. Usually there is an end fitting there, but you do have a couple of straps, one on top at the end and one on the stbd side near the end, plus a cheek block on the stbd side of the boom. There doesn't seem to be anything at the tack end of the boom to secure the tack grommet for reefing. You can either look for a suitable fitting or make something that works for the purpose.

Your sail has grommets for the tack and the clew, which are reinforced. The 2 grommets in the field of the sail are not reinforced and used only for gathering up the loose sail with small line. You have just one set of reef points.

So, without adding fittings to your boom, you can reef basically with a 2-line system. The clew end would be tied down at the clew with a line that is secured to the strap at the end of the boom, passing through the clew grommet, then down around the cheek block and secured forward on the boom at a cleat. The tack end would be secured with a line that passes through the tack grommet and is secured to itself under the boom somehow to hold the tack end down. You could probably make a line that has the correct length, that you pass through the tack permanently, so that it is ready to be secured with clasps under the boom anytime you want to reef.

You don't want to release the reef at anytime while you have those interior grommets secured to the boom with a line to gather up the sail. That is one way of tearing the sail.

In fact, I never bother to gather the sail when I am at the 1st reef. I just let the excess sail hang loose. It's not in the way and it is doing no harm, so it is not worth the effort if I'm out for a day sail. I don't even gather up the sail for the 2nd reef point, but with that amount of loose sail it is looking very sloppy. But I don't have a 2nd reef in very often so I don't bother then either.
My 146 is the same way a hollow end. It does have a block at the end of the clew track, and a cleat mid boom to run outhaul line thru. the way I reef is to un cleat the line run it thru the reef cringle back thru the block and cleat it again. the gooseneck has a steel hook for it. That's the way it was designed.....kind of a pain, hard to do while underway....seriously thinking about rigging for jiffy reefing.