Portlight Glare Question

Sep 7, 2022
Captiva Yachts Sanibel 18 Lake Wylie
Hi Sailors,

I'm planning to replace my Gray Industries portlights on my Sanibel 18. The old ones are black and they sure cut the glare when you peek outside. However, I'm thinking of going with white ones instead because it will give the boat a more uniform look. Does anyone care to comment on glare issues when looking through white portlights? There is a ring around the outside, so that would give a bit of a 'hat brim' effect.

I've been looking through old posts about portlights and I see I should seal the cutout with epoxy as well.

Thanks,
Skipper J

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I've had those port lights for over 40 years. I can't remember an occasion where "glare"
was a problem. The biggest problem over time is that UV degrades the polycarbonate lenses.
making them cloudy. Outside covers solve that problem.
The other is that the screen material gets pushed against the lens by wind, which leaves a screen "imprint" on the lens,
Both of these problems can be avoided if you mitigate them early.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Hi Sailors,

I'm planning to replace my Gray Industries portlights on my Sanibel 18. The old ones are black and they sure cut the glare when you peek outside. However, I'm thinking of going with white ones instead because it will give the boat a more uniform look. Does anyone care to comment on glare issues when looking through white portlights? There is a ring around the outside, so that would give a bit of a 'hat brim' effect.

I've been looking through old posts about portlights and I see I should seal the cutout with epoxy as well.

Thanks,
Skipper J
Do you have photos of the ports you want to replace? When you say the port lights are black, I'm assuming you mean the frames are black not the lenses, if lenses are black they would be opaque, same with white.