Pointing tips, how can I get my Catalina 25 to point closer to the wind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCP777

May 19, 2009
Catalina 25 TR/FK Bayview Marina, Lake Ray Hubbard Rowlett TX
I'm a bit frustrated about this area of performance on my Catalina 25 Tall Rig/Fin keel. It seems I can no closer than 45 degrees. I do have a traveler, boom vang, cunningham and an adjustable back stay. (One of the previous owners rigged her for racing)

The main sail is older and a bit pooched, it also doesn't seem like it wants to go ALL the way up the mast, like there's about 3 to 6 inches where it just won't go up but it will go up where all the wrinkles come out.

I sail with a hank on 110 or 130 up front that seem to be in pretty good shape.

She does get over 6kts and I feel like I could race her if she'd just point to wind better. I was on a Catalina 27 last week that was pointing much better and my friend's Olson 30 seems to sail straight into the wind. I took a friend out sailing who has a TR/WK and his points about the same, he thought he was taking a hit for having the wing keel. ON GPS, it looks like we're both tracking about the same.

Anyone else have this problem and hopefully was able to resolve it or is this just part of sailing a Catalina 25?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Apparent or true?

45 degrees off the apparent wind, or true wind? If true, that's very good, nothing to complain about. The only things I think you could do to improve it would be sails, as in new sails, and trim; is there any droop in your forestay? Might want to tighten the backstay on the wind if there is.

PCP777

May 19, 2009
45 degrees off the apparent wind, or true wind? If true, that's very good, nothing to complain about. The only things I think you could do to improve it would be sails, as in new sails, and trim; is there any droop in your forestay? Might want to tighten the backstay on the wind if there is.

I guess I'm still trying to discern the difference between the two, I'm at 45 degrees based on the windvane at the top of my mast. I have a digital gauge for wind as well but my son pushed some buttons on it so it's all jacked up. I need to read the manual and see how to reset it.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Measure using the compass

Using your steering compass, measure how close to the wind you can sail. So, port tack, close hauled, not the heading; then come about, sail close hauled on a starboard tack, and note the heading. If the included angle is less than 100 degrees, you are doing pretty good, I would think.

The "windex" is showing apparent wind. If you can only sail 45 degrees off teh apparent wind, you have some work to do. Remember that your forward motion will bring the apparent wind forward, so, for example, if you are sailing through the water at 5 kt., and the true wind is 10 kt at 45 degrees off the bow, the apparent will be about 14 kt. at 30 degrees.

PCP777

May 19, 2009
Using your steering compass, measure how close to the wind you can sail. So, port tack, close hauled, not the heading; then come about, sail close hauled on a starboard tack, and note the heading. If the included angle is less than 100 degrees, you are doing pretty good, I would think.

The "windex" is showing apparent wind. If you can only sail 45 degrees off teh apparent wind, you have some work to do. Remember that your forward motion will bring the apparent wind forward, so, for example, if you are sailing through the water at 5 kt., and the true wind is 10 kt at 45 degrees off the bow, the apparent will be about 14 kt. at 30 degrees.

Cool, I'm learning so much from this forum. I'll check that out next time I take her out. I know she can do better than she is.

Sep 21, 2005
Catalina 22 Henderson Bay, NY
One other thing you can try is to pull your traveler all the way to windward. This will give you the ability to sheet the boom in farther. If the wind is real strong, this can give you alot of heel, but in moderate and light winds it works great. Good luck

Dale

PCP777

May 19, 2009
One other thing you can try is to pull your traveler all the way to windward. This will give you the ability to sheet the boom in farther. If the wind is real strong, this can give you alot of heel, but in moderate and light winds it works great. Good luck

Dale

Yes, I do that, my traveler is over the cabin house which is nice.

I put my battens in and had a friend help me tune the rigging. Ever since then there's been no wind on the lake, it's summer in Texas. Can't wait to see if there is a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.