Pearson 30 live aboard cruising?

Apr 27, 2022
Pearson 30 0 New London
I am in process of purchasing a 1973 Pearson 30 and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations to improve the small cabin for live aboard cruising? I would appreciate any feedback you might have. Things I already know I plan to do are swapping the currently not running Atomic 4 for a 10kw electric motor to regenerate power under sail. I am very new to sailing, and looking forward to cruising and exploring both locally and further afield from New England as I continue to sail. I have been reading many conflicting opinions about the blue water capabilities of the P30, I understand that statistically it is safe when sailed correctly for blue water. I have also read that the hull isn’t thick enough to bump anything in the water without a probability of holding the boat. I don’t know how valid this claim is, but I have watched people do cruises from San Francisco to Hawaii with us all blue water sailing, and they did not have any problems. Thanks in advanced for your recommendations.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new choice, living on the sea. It is easier in the YouTube Video's than it is in real life.
Your choice of a 1973 Pearson 30 is one that will likely need a lot of your time and money to make it truly sea worthy enough to take it far from the coast.

I understand the atomic 4 is non functional due to being in water. If that is the case, I would also have concern what else is compromised from that much water in the boat. Further I would be looking for why that much water was in the boat. My first priority in selecting a boat to sail or live on,
  1. The Hull Must keep the water outside of the boat.
Things that come to mind are damage to the interior wood often used to build the interior and hold the hull to it's required shape. Look beneath the sole (that is the interior floor). Electrical systems often are placed low in the boat. Did water get into the electrical systems?

Look back at the posts here on the site. In the past year we have had a long and informational rich discussion about electric motors on the forum. The idea is interesting, but expensive to build and has many risks.

Good luck with your project. Look forward to following your adventure.

Apr 27, 2022
Pearson 30 0 New London
I have taken a thorough look and everything looks good except the engine, the PO didn’t know exactly how the water got in but thinks it was the companionway hatch, the interior wood is good and the boat is currently in the water without taking in anymore. Idk much about the electrical on the boat but was planning on replacing it all anyway.
I definitely know it isn’t as easy as it looks on YouTube, but I also welcome the challenges that come with life on board.
I also know that having the electric motor is something that I definitely want to do, minimize my carbon footprint and produce less pollutants on the water. I’m expecting to put a lot of work into the boat over the summer while living aboard. My hope is to be ready to cruise come mid fall to avoid having to find somewhere on the hard to store my boat. I don’t plan on doing any major blue water passages for the first year or more on the water. I’m fortunate to live on the Long Island sound so lots of protected waters to learn and get comfortable on.
I definitely understand the significance of the task I am undertaking, buying a 49 year old glass boat. Also glad the hull and deck are both solid no soft spots anywhere. Also after looking around at various Pearson 30s available I know I am getting a steal even with the bit of work I am looking at undertaking. For now I am going to mount a 9.9hp outboard to just get out on the water, but I plan on converting it to electric, which will allow me to remove the fuel tank and replace it with more water tankage, which is a must when cruising have enough water is critical. Eventually planning for a water maker to improve my self-sustainability.
Thanks for the tips!

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
The PO probably left the seacock open and flooded the motor, I have just got a 72 P30, making her ready to splash in a few weeks, I still have some work to do but the engine is sound and I just need to put on the anti-fouling and splash her, good luck on yours

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
me, i'm old 'old school'. first i'd get the sailboat sailing. then i'd think about all the 'non-sailing items that i would like to take with me.
unlike most these days , i like the boat as a camper, not a condo. i use very few electronic devices. i was taught a long time ago the he who trust electronics with his life is a fool.

that's just me. i enjoy sailing sailboats. motoring on a sailboat doesn't interest me much.

your pearson looks to have nice sailing posibilities. enjoy the adventure.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
if your interested in learning the art of sailing, buy this

1651115846407.png

then read it 20 times and set up your vessel to sail.

just my $0.02

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I owned a 1979 P30 for 11 yr, coastal sailing in FL and CA. It’s a good boat when properly maintained. The fiberglass hull is plenty thick. But, the spade rudder is pretty exposed w/o a skeg. If you hit something out there in the big ocean with the rudder you might seriously disable the boat. I would not recommend electric auxiliary for novice sailors. To have much utility with it means to use only in harbors or quiet anchorages for short periods while anchoring, docking, or picking up a mooring, etc. Otherwise you are sailing; much of the time against wind and current. Had better know how!!

Apr 27, 2022
Pearson 30 0 New London
The electric motor is something I am looking to do a year or more out for now going to get the inboard running. I am definitely looking to learn to sail well before making that leap.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Regarding living on a smallish boat I would recommend not filling the boat with comforts and necessities. You are going to be near civilization for the first year. So get a storage unit and keep all your crap in there. The biggest pain when living in a small area is clutter. You will learn in that first year what is needed. Managing clutter also keeps the boat light and it will sail much better.
Also I think cockpit covering such as a Bimini are great to make the cockpit useable in most weather. A dodger helps keep the cabin dry in inclement weather and helps keeping ventilation going when you need it the most. But sometimes you just have to endure wet while awaiting a drying day.
A bean bag. chair can open seating options including on the deck.

Apr 27, 2022
Pearson 30 0 New London
Regarding living on a smallish boat I would recommend not filling the boat with comforts and necessities. You are going to be near civilization for the first year. So get a storage unit and keep all your crap in there. The biggest pain when living in a small area is clutter. You will learn in that first year what is needed. Managing clutter also keeps the boat light and it will sail much better.
Also I think cockpit covering such as a Bimini are great to make the cockpit useable in most weather. A dodger helps keep the cabin dry in inclement weather and helps keeping ventilation going when you need it the most. But sometimes you just have to endure wet while awaiting a drying day.
A bean bag. chair can open seating options including on the deck.
Great words of wisdom I have already got storage for most of my stuff I like the minimalist style. Lived out of a car for a long time never let myself get overloaded with material things. Creature comforts are not a must have for me at this point, I am looking for a new adventure. Changing my perspective and challenging myself.
The bean bag was already a must have for me, definitely need to have more seating and people space. I planned on doing a dodger and maybe a Bimini at some point, I have done my research and read a lot of tips from live aboard sailors and know some of the important things to have.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A bean bag comfortable enough to lay or sit on will be in the way. The problem with a small boat with stuff on it is having to move it around constantly. There is no room for stuff that cannot remain stowed out of the way when not in use. The quarter berth on the port side is not a good place to put junk b/c the engine’s port-side access is there. To get to it you’ll have to pull out the stuff that’s in the way. The P30 with its 91/2-ft beam is a small-volume boat compared to an Islander 30, Catalina 30, or Newport 30.

Last edited:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Your focus on your carbon footprint is leading you toward an electric auxiliary. Focus instead on the practicalities of cruising and look about for a good used diesel between 15 and 20 HP. I believe many were made to replace Atomics and mount on the same stringers. Or, you may be better served if you borrow about $50,000 and buy a larger and newer and functioning boat. We sailors are all dreamers and often make impractical decisions. Good luck.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The electric-powered boats that I’ve seen (but I’ve not seen them all, of course) are basically harbor craft. Take the Harbor 20, for example. Nice one-design boat for sailing around in Newport Beach harbor (CA) with electric auxiliary. Then of course, the Duffy and its allies. I’ve seen one conversion of an Islander 30 to electric but the owner was a very experienced sailor who probably would never have to depend on auxiliary for the tasks I mention above (post #11). Electrics might work OK in or near harbors b/c the boat can be plugged into shore power. However, cruising yachts far from harbor would need much solar charging capability to replace the electric power in the drive batteries. Most of us have a challenge even keeping up our house batteries with solar only!! Also, reducing carbon footprint is not really consistent with use of many outboards. Whereas the 9.9 hp four-strokes are heavy engines, 90 to 100#, the lighter two-strokes do not meet emission standards for clean air—so no help there. Small outboards have well-known issues with the ethanol additive in the gasoline. It makes them more difficult to maintain b/c of carburetor fouling.

So, the suggestion of a good used diesel, or new diesel, is the best practical alternative, outside of buying a boat that is equipped well enough or nearly so, for cruising. The P30 is a fine boat. Just find one that’s in the shape needed to get going. BTW—one does not “steal” a boat. It’s the other way. A boat drains your wallet; steals from you. Best to do more research on the actual cost of boat ownership b/f taking the plunge.

Last edited: