Outboard depth in water.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Looks good to me too and @Gene Neill gave a great explanation with the pictures. I take mine off and mount it to the tongue for added tongue weight but everyone has their system for sure.

As to the water line if your stern is that low shift some weight forward. It will make a huge difference in pointing and downwind speed.

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
I haven't figured out why the stern sits so low. Only weight in the back is the outboard (tohatsu sailpro 6) and 6 gallon fuel tank. All my batteries, water etc is under the v berth. I weigh 180. yet my diver always tells me that the stern is about an inch below water above the bottom paint line. maybe the bottom paint wasn't done right idk.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I haven't figured out why the stern sits so low. Only weight in the back is the outboard (tohatsu sailpro 6) and 6 gallon fuel tank. All my batteries, water etc is under the v berth. I weigh 180. yet my diver always tells me that the stern is about an inch below water above the bottom paint line. maybe the bottom paint wasn't done right idk.
With that large of a fuel tank and motor it’s more than enough. My wing does the same and I only have a 3 gallon tank. Put your food stores forward and any extra weight like your water tanks porta pottie etc. That will help. All C22s are stern heavy but if you can get the stern higher it will preform better.

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
With that large of a fuel tank and motor it’s more than enough. My wing does the same and I only have a 3 gallon tank. Put your food stores forward and any extra weight like your water tanks porta pottie etc. That will help. All C22s are stern heavy but if you can get the stern higher it will preform better.
with how little fuel I use with the tohatsu, I should probably switch back to the 3 gallon. Thanks

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@morbidfollower I only carry more than the 3 gallons when on a week long cruise or more. The motor sips fuel so slowly there is just not much need for normal sailing.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida

These new design girls are heavy in the butt, period. (I like big butts and I cannot lie.)

Loading a bunch of weight into the bow is never a good idea. Balance is key. Movable ballast should be kept amidships as much as possible.

Sexy pic of Daydream's butt! Paint line is easily an inch underwater with no one on board.

file2540.jpg