O'Day 302 Loses Keel - Check Yours!!

Feb 16, 2011
Macgregor 26X Michigan City, IN
I went and looked (my Mac is on the hard) - no keel showing!!! :Liar:

I know this is an old thread, but another posted an update so I thought I'd chime in:

This type of dangerous problem, whether it's bad construction practices, light build, or rotten keel bolts, is why I chose a boat with an encapsulated keel. Never have to worry about this.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Would C.Raymond Hunt Assoc. of Boston not have provided input in the design of the stub since the boat was their design....? I realize you can 'design' all kinds of things, but it can
still be built poorly, but there may be a bit of shared shame to go around...

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I find it amazing that more 30th didn't lose their keels more often and earlier with 1/4 inch thickness. If these boats were aircraft, they would all be grounded till inspected.

Aug 4, 2013
Oday 20 Bridgeport
O'Day Keel Problems.

Gentlemen;
Thank you for this informative forum! I am an O'Day owner and personally know of two vessels a 302 and a 322 which had thin keel stubs and suffered damage. In both cases the boats were grounded and undamaged but were later severely damaged by the Tow operator who came to "save" them. In the case of the 322 the keel was torn off completely.
My interest in this story is personal as I am interested in buying the 322 after repairs have been done.
Is there any way the vessel will have a resale value assuming the repairs or upgrade are done correctly?

The top three pics in post #69 are new, never seen before, and of an O'day 322 that sank in May or June of 2013. These are not the O'day 302 that is in the OP of this thread dating back to 2009.. The boat in post #69 (top three photos) are recent as of Nov 2013....