Oday 192 outboard bracket

Apr 26, 2024
Oday 192 Lake Huron
Greetings,
I just joined this group. Last fall I purchased a 1984 Oday 192, nice clean boat. It came with a 25" shaft Mariner 4hp two stroke that needs replacing. I have been looking at the Tohatsu 6hp four stroke outboards with a 25 inch shaft. I need to replace the cheap outboard bracket that has a 10 inch lift which came with the boat (this was replaced by the previous owner). I have read mixed articles on having a 10 inch lift versus a higher lift. i will have to replace the wedge which mounts between the outboard bracket and the transom as the newer brackets are wider. My sailing is on Lake Huron where squalls do come out of nowhere. Any thoughts on a four stroke bracket and length of lift. If someone who has already made this conversion would be willing to share photos of their finished project it would be helpful. Thank you.

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
I have a Mariner 19 (the original ODay 19). I have the stock outboard bracket (rated for 2 cycle outboards only according to the stickers). I first mounted a 19" long shaft Honda 5hp. This worked fine without going to the lowest bracket notch - generally went to the 2nd lowest. At the highest notch, it was quite comfortable to tilt the motor head across the transom. In the highest position, the skeg would still drag in the water.

I have since replaced the Honda with a long shaft Epropulsion Spirit. I seldom have to lower beyond the 3rd notch to get the prop deep enough. Having it up higher makes the tiller fit comfortably across the transom. Likewise, the motor does not clear the water in the highest position. I have to raise the motor all the way up and tilt it to keep it clear of the water. A fellow Mariner owner got the short shaft Spirit. He has to lower the motor bracket all the way to get the prop deep enough. But his motor does clear the water at the highest position without tilting.

Data points for your use. Good luck with your project. The original boat has a hollow between the transom and the rear of the cockpit. Most Mariner owners have filled the gap with plywood and/or G10 to strengthen the motor mount when using the heavier motors.

Fred W