Northern Light Show - Possible

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This weekend promises to be an exciting.

SPECIAL STATEMENT - Northern Light Show ??

May 10 2024

NOAA has issued a “Severe G4 Magnetic Solar Storm Watch" for today into the weekend of May 11,12. This is a rare “Watch”. It is the first such alert issued by NOAA since 2005 - before we had ‘smart phones’!

G4’s are the second-strongest forms of geomagnetic storms - these type of solar storms can cause disruptions in communications of all types - satellite, radio, cell towers, electric power grids, GPS navigation, as examples. “If geomagnetic storms were hurricanes, ‘severe’ would be Category 4,” says SpaceWeather.com.

Patrons: given a clear sky forecast tonight & this weekend, look out for Aurora borealis (northern lights) - which may be visible as far south as northern California.

-Rufus

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Those may extend South to the Gulf Coast too. :cool:

Jim...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Weather girl in Chicago is saying to set my alarm for 3:00 am tomorrow morning for a chance to see the northern lights. We have rain and clouds predicted from 22:00 tonight until around 1:00, and then some clearing…

Hmmmmm….do I really want to get out of bed “for a chance….”

I have never seen the northern lights in my 62 years…so I would like to see them, and this has to be easier than getting to Alaska :cool:

Ok…I talked myself into it.

Greg

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I checked about 10 last night in Northern Ohio. Nothing. (Though we have a lot of light pollution here.)

Jan 7, 2011
I got up and out of bed at 3:00 on day 2 of the solar storm….and didn’t see anything.

Not sue if it was due to light pollution here or what. But I was disappointed... I have never seen the northern lights in my 62 years.

Greg

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Don't feel bad Greg... There is likely still time.
I have been to Fairbanks AK in search of the lights. They did not appear. Neither here in Salem this past weekend. We drove out into the country Saturday evening well away from the city lights but no colors in the sky.

My daughter and grandson stepped outside their front door and were rewarded with the light show.

I seem to have more luck with eclipses than northern lights. But I will keep searching.

Jan 7, 2011
Don't feel bad Greg... There is likely still time.
I have been to Fairbanks AK in search of the lights. They did not appear. Neither here in Salem this past weekend. We drove out into the country Saturday evening well away from the city lights but no colors in the sky.

My daughter and grandson stepped outside their front door and were rewarded with the light show.

I seem to have more luck with eclipses than northern lights. But I will keep searching.
I was in the path of totality for the recent solar eclipse, but alas, it was cloudy. Got dark, but I didn’t see the sun :confused:

Greg

• Wow