Newbe Advice-Attaching Hiking Straps to 146/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
Hi all,
Just joined this forum and just ordered my first Hunter 146 today. Would any Hunter 146 owner who has attached things like hiking straps and cockpit storage bags explain how that is done when you can't get under the deck to tighten the fixings.
In my last boat, although it only had a cuddy cabin, I could work from the inside. I just can't picture how it is done on a boat like the 146. Photos and explainations of any upgrades that owners have done (hiking straps, outhaul blocks, boom kicker, petrol tank tie downs, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Esterhazyinoz:)

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Interesting problem. I have been in a 146 at the dealer but never thought about how to add hardware. Did you talk with the dealer? Or maybe call Hunter? Some boats have attachment points glassed in that you can drill and tap. I doubt that would be the case in the 146. Is there a manual that might provide a clue? Not being able to bolt through with big fender washers would seem to really limit your options.

Feb 26, 2010
Interesting problem. I have been in a 146 at the dealer but never thought about how to add hardware. Did you talk with the dealer? Or maybe call Hunter? Some boats have attachment points glassed in that you can drill and tap. I doubt that would be the case in the 146. Is there a manual that might provide a clue? Not being able to bolt through with big fender washers would seem to really limit your options.
Hi Ed,
I don't have the boat yet, just placed an order yesterday. Hunter dealership is in Sydney and I'm in Perth (like LA to NYC distance) and Hunter in Florida is as far away as as you can get from here without coming back. Anyway Hunter seems to be busy with the New England Boat show.

Although Hiking straps may be a problem because of the high load that is put on them I do want to mount some sheet bags/cockpit tidy bags in the areas that I have circled in the photo.

Any fixing suggestion and can anyone tell me the measurements of these marked areas?

Cheers,

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Those bags with the two corner suction cups work surprisingly well. But still you might want something more permanent. I wonder how the sheet blocks were attached? Probably bolted before the inner liner was glassed to the hull. And the flotation under the seats almost certainly would not hold screws for a hiking strap. But you could do that for the sheet bags. I think a nice web strap on each side of the centerboard from the base of the mast would work. Isn't there something on the stern that the other end could attach to? Or maybe eyebolts through that transom?

Attachments

Oct 8, 2009
Hunter 170 Lake Sammamish WA
Sorry, I have a 170 so can't help with the measurements. However, I think it's a very good idea to attach some bags up front to hold stuff you don't want to lose in a roll over, knock down. I watched a couple of jokers dump their 170 late last summer and anything loose would probably depart the boat in a similar mishap. While I don't think I'm going to get into any drilling, tying a bag or two in front of the mast probably should save the day.

Earlier last summer I took a knock down in a 12'er. Boat ended up 180 degrees out of phase. Sad to say I lost my dagger board and rudder in this position. Replacement cost me around $500. Well, I'm not worried about losing the center board on my 170, but I do tie a line to my rudder to prevent that from departing the ship. I'm guessing a new one would cost at least $500.

In the mishap above, the 2 jokers certainly appeared to NOT have their centerboard locked down. When the boat went over, it appeared that the center board retracted into the hull (which make it impossible for them to "right" their boat by "standing" on the centerboard. It had to be towed into shallow water where some helpers managed to help them right the boat.

I saw them back on the lake a couple of weeks later, so I guess they'll didn't do too much or any lasting damage.

Jul 8, 2004
Hunter 146 Aztec, NM
Seat height is about 11"
Front area is 26" wide by 22" deep and a height of 15" to 19.5"

Oct 8, 2009
Hunter 170 Lake Sammamish WA
Anyone know why the 146 has the "dam" at the back of the boat just in front of the rudder. Other than this dam, the 146 looks like a smaller 170 which is completely open in the back (self draining?). Looks like if you rolled a 146, when you righted it, you would end up with a cockpit full of water unless there is a drain I don't see in the picture.

Jul 8, 2004
Hunter 146 Aztec, NM
Not sure why it is there but it makes a handy hand hold for getting back in the boat after a swim. There is a drain in the cockpit so it is self draining (probably not a fast as the 170 though)

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
A Couple of Ideas

You could hang some sheet bags like the 170 comes with. I added snaps to the bottom of mine so that the other stuff in the cuddy couldn't escape. With the bags snapped to the floor, everything stayed where it belonged.

Like others have suggested, attaching the hiking straps to the mast base will work well. Also, on the 170 the sheet block has an aluminum plate on the back side that is accessable from underneath through the board well. 146 might be the same design. If so, the hiking straps could also be attached there along the way back to the stern. Attaching something to the hull of these ACP boats is tricky. I carried over some ideas I picked up owning a Corvette. I used Wellnuts several times to attach loads. Also you can use the rivets that many autos use. They expand on the back side into three wings that spread the load out further, kind of like using a fender washer, but without access to the backside. The hiking strap in my P13 only uses two rivets to attach at both ends. I never thought it would survive that way, but it has. Of course it's fiberglass, but I can tell by the flex that there is nothing behind it in the way of structure. Keep in mind that the ACP has a habit of cracking out from where screws are inserted. Drilling a hole first is recommended. The rubber of the Wellnut eliminates that problem.

Fair winds,

Jerry

Attachments

Feb 26, 2010
Re: A Couple of Ideas

Thanks for the advice. Note though that the Hunter 15 that I just ordered and which rolled out of the factory last Friday, is not made out of ACP as with the 146 model. The 15 is fibreglass. I still won't do the hiking straps but will mount some of those BP cockpit bags I've seen. JerryA's bag across the cuddy is a great idea, but where do I put my thermos of tea?
Cheers,
HD

Feb 26, 2010
Re: A Couple of Ideas

I know that I am answering my own question but I just found photos of attaching hiking straps to a 170 posted in the Boat Info/Hunter Boat Info/170 section/Photo Gallery.
This looks like a good solution. Thanks to Paul Dong for these!!
Cheers,
Hollis

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Sounds like you need a Thermos holder. :) Maybe something with a strap and velcro.

JerryA

Feb 26, 2010
Yes, something towards the stern as I plan to solo a fair bit and can't ask anyone to pass the thermos.

Status
Not open for further replies.