New owner of neglected 1986 Capri 18

Jun 15, 2022
Catalina Capri 18 58 Oak Hollow Lake
Dropping in to say hello and to dig thru rigging pictures of old Capri 18's...So far the old boat has cleaned up well after dirt dobber and paper wasp nest removal in the cabin...they even got into the sail bags that were stored there too. Other than replacing the halyards/sheets of running rigging I think I've found all the parts...short of one Shroud Clevis pin...Biggest project is replacement of the trailer, I swear it was dropped on this tiny trailer by a crane...with 4x4 wedges driven under the too short bunks to stabilize the boat...no way it was floated on.
Capr18.jpeg
Sail.jpeg
Winch.jpeg

Early model with cabin top winch...Would love to know what is going thru the cam cleat.

Jun 15, 2022
Looks good! Sails cleaned up very well.
I too was surprised...And I bought it fully expecting to replace all them with Catalina OEM Capri 18 sails.

Would love to know the weight of the dirt that the wasps had deposited. As I said it was everywhere...sat in the cabin and broke most of it off the hull and tossed overboard...

Hope I didn't commit any sail sins, it was washed with a 1/4 cup of Arm and Hammer/Oxi Clean laundry detergent to 4gal of water. Scrub Brushed and sprayed off. Jib took the brunt of the abuse...it was getting wet occasionally during it's long storage period. Hatch was cracked open letting in the moisture & wasps, but there was no mold. Hanks showing corrosion and light damage to area the hanks go into the sail.

I'm not going offshore with this boat...shake down on my local lake and work up to a trip down to Pamlico Sound/Oriental once it's ship shape.

Jib.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022
Starting on the hull...the obligatory dings on the keel will need to be adresed...at one point she was in the water 24-7...and removing the six coats of ablative paint and barrier coat...
Before_hull.jpeg

Used the low spots with paint left as a guide coat to stop sanding...not all are problem areas...but I found some blisters.
After_hull.jpeg

Pretty sure there has never been a sinking due to blisters...It's gonna be a trailer sailor for now...so not sure what to do...could I just plan on giving them extra coats of new barrier paint? I plan on using some tempura to tint white epoxy barrier coat paint tan to keep the green and tan color scheme going....AFTER I find a working marina I can put it on the hard for a week...so that I can get to the areas protected by the bunks.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
I used stands on my 25, but you should easily be able jack that little boat up and block it to get under the bunks.

My starwind 19 I simply jacked it up and tipped it side to side against the bunks while sanding. To paint I propped it up on dock foam, painted the middle and bunks, let it down and painted the rest.

Attachments

Jul 12, 2022
precision precision 18 chowan
Stdilbert... I am up the chowan river. Perhaps one day we will run across each other. G'day