My boat sank today

Jun 11, 2015
S2 9.2A Muskegon
Diver should be able to find the rudder pretty quickly..
You can probably install a tube on the rudder shaft ..
Tiller steered? Not familiar with S2 rudder stuff, but it seems like a through bolt would be more appropriate than a pressed pin in that location. on wheel steered boats, the quadrant would be through bolted ..
Sorry to hear of the loss.. Repair shop should be liable to at least help with repairs..
The diver stated that the boat was sitting up right in the silt on the bottom up to the water line. I asked if it was possible to find the rudder and he stated that it would be almost impossible due to the depth of the silt on the bottom, locals say its close to 10 feet thick.

my rudder has a bronze tiller arm that has a set screw in it that seats in a drilled dimple and key and keyway and is safety wired so it can not back out ...along with that the steering quadrant has 4 3/8 bolts that clamp the two halves together with a key and keyway i find it hard to have only a press pin being all that is holding the rudder in ....i think something was not done correctly/ or left off in the repair job....liability in my mind is for the repair people ....you may need to get a second opinion after all is said and done ...who provided the surveyor ? the repair yard i hope not you need and unbiased source here ....keep us posted to the findings and outcome plz...one other thing do you have tiller steering or wheel
My boat was a tiller version, so no steering quadrant to help hold the rudder in.The insurance company provided a third party surveyor, and the marina that may do the repairs is not the same as the one who repaired the rudder in June. As far as going after the marina that did the repairs my understanding is that if the insurance company pays me for the boat, i.e. a total loss, then they are the ones that can go after the marina. My wife and I have already started looking for a replacement boat, I was holding out hope that it could be repaired until it was taken out of the water and I was actually able to go on board and see the damage first hand.....I decided in about five minutes that I no longer wanted to keep the boat. I have crunched some numbers in my head and to repair the boat to the way it was will cost a lot more than it was insured for.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
My boat was a tiller version, so no steering quadrant to help hold the rudder in.The insurance company provided a third party surveyor, and the marina that may do the repairs is not the same as the one who repaired the rudder in June. As far as going after the marina that did the repairs my understanding is that if the insurance company pays me for the boat, i.e. a total loss, then they are the ones that can go after the marina. My wife and I have already started looking for a replacement boat, I was holding out hope that it could be repaired until it was taken out of the water and I was actually able to go on board and see the damage first hand.....I decided in about five minutes that I no longer wanted to keep the boat. I have crunched some numbers in my head and to repair the boat to the way it was will cost a lot more than it was insured for.
the only dog i have in the fight is the fact that its the same kind of boat as mine...i am glad you have made the decision you have...oh and for what it's worth that is such a loss of a good boat

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I decided in about five minutes that I no longer wanted to keep the boat. I have crunched some numbers in my head and to repair the boat to the way it was will cost a lot more than it was insured for.
Exactly. Its why insurance companies call this a 'full economic loss'. Sure the hulk is worth something, but as parts and not as a boat.

Perfect clear-headed call. I'm sorry to hear about your boat. I had one totaled on a mooring when vandals tried to burn it to the waterline. I know what it feels like. But I took the check and never looked back.

Last edited:
May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Wow...that is pretty crazy. I hate seeing sunken boats in the marinas because it is like the death of one dream. Jimmy Buffett once sang "Every stop is a place to start." These are very true words. The boat buying process is a pain as well and this may cost you some time on your sailing season, but at least this didn't happen when you were sailing in rough water out far from shore.

Keep an eye out for a new dream (boat). I am so sorry you lost your boat.

Jun 11, 2015
S2 9.2A Muskegon
Who did the rudder repair?
Anchors way marina in benton harbor did the repairs...when we purchased the boat it was in heated storage there.... the rudder was in such bad shape i did not feel comfotable moving the boat before the repairs were made.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Really sorry about the loss of the boat. The only good part about it is that the rudder didn't drop out while you were in the middle of Lake Michigan.

S2s are really great boats, and as they were built in Hollland Mi, there are significant numbers around locally. Many of them are in really good condition, have always been fresh water boats, and well maintained. It would be great to find one that you like through a private owner and not have to pay a brokerage fee.

In the Spring, if you need any help with commissioning a newer boat, contact me. I'm up the road in Manistee.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
just got through with Boat US.They declined my claim twice but after sending numerous letters and pictures plus telling them i would take them to court,they relented.Good luck and don't give up.
can you let us know what the grounds were for boat us originally denying your claim? and what you said to get them to change their minds ?