Motorcycle Gear for Sailing?

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Yesterday, I sailed for the first time ever in cool weather--about 10 C (50 F). I had a decent clothing set up but I expect to sail in colder weather soon. I got wondering if anyone here might have tried motorcycling gear while sailing. I have a Scott two-piece riding suit with only a few thousand km on it that I plan to wear next time on the boat.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
No, too restrictive.......why not consider a diving dry suit?............used that wind surfing in the winter. For cold weather sailing, I sail with thermal synethic layers and cold weather outer gear, including foulies, neck warmer, gloves, fleese hat and wool socks. Good article on what to wear in cold weather: What To Wear When Sailing - Better Sailing.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
wool

what kind of bikes yawl ride.

me, bmw 1150 r 2004

ski suit, snowmobile suit, bibs & parka, i'm a mitten guy, layers, gortex, goggles

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
I use a heated motorcycle jacket ( Gerbing) which is very lightweight and use my foul weather jacket over it. It is plugged into a 12 volt cigarette lighter. Works great on the boat and bike. Never got cold , even at 20 F. Out of bikes due to balance issues but sure do miss it. You can get heated gloves (too big for sailing) , pants and socks.
Bultaco 250 Pursang Race bike, Various Triumphs, Bridgestone factory 90 race bike many more over the last 60 years. Last one was a BMW R1250. Yes I am an old fart !

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Thanks, @Sanfelice . Nice to see another Triumph rider here. I have a '95 Speed Triple. I haven't ridden it in a few years though and will probably sell it next summer.

Heated gear hadn't even occurred to me. I don't have a cigar lighter in the cockpit but it wouldn't be hard to add one.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Another option is to install heater vents in the cockpit that blow hot air from a diesel heater. Had that on my skiboat with hot air from a heat exhanger on the engine water circuit for winter skiing.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
I ride with a Firstgear Thermo One-Piece Suit on cooler mornings coming into work. The concern with using it on my sailboat is that at times, I am quite active. This suit is designed to keep the wind off of me while I am sitting mostly still on the bike. It doesn't take much physical activity before I become too warm. Once this happens and I start to perspire, then I get cold rather quickly afterwards and can't get warm again.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Ask my friend @jssailem , who I nicknamed Mr Mummy, about his Foul Weather gear.

Warmer in the South

Captain Jim...

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
It doesn't take much physical activity before I become too warm. Once this happens and I start to perspire, then I get cold rather quickly afterwards and can't get warm again.
I can see that happening with a one-piece suit. I think it would not be as much of an issue with my two-piece suit because it's so easy to don or remove the jacket. It seems like a two-piece motorcycling suit is pretty similar to sailing cold weather gear, except for the armor.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
All you could do is try it. I would expect it to be to restrictive on my boat with how it is set up and not covering the right places enough. I excessively large collar with a adjustable hood are items on a good fouly that won’t be on riding gear.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
Good point, @MikeHoncho . My riding jacket has no hood and only a modest collar.

I guess a good fouly hood has a string so it can be pulled in tight around the face? I hate having my peripheral vision blocked.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A good fleece or wool beanie can serve to keep the heat in on your noggin.

I like the wool over my ears do reduce the chance of frostbite.

Check out my avatar... Sailing the Gulf Islands BC.