Mirror on Aft Cabin Door

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
On our 2000 340 there is a 16” x 48” framed mirror, hanging on the “outside“ of the Aft Cabin Door. Anybody else have one of these?
When we bought our boat, new, in 2000 it was just there. We never really thought about it.
Well this morning while I was greasing my thru hull seacock under the galley sink, I turned around and saw the mirror was cracked.
It’s only 24 years old, don’t ask me why it broke, just can’t get nothing to last anymore.
It‘s off the boat now.
Please let me know if there are any “rituals” I have to go through since this happened. . Not really looking forward to the answer to that, but I thought I’d ask.

Attachments

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Some boats have OEM mirrors made of plastic rather than glass. Ours does, in the head compartment. Seems a lot more practical.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
In the imortal words of Stevie Wonder

Very superstitious,
Writing's on the wall,
Very superstitious,
Ladders bout' to fall,
Thirteen month old baby,
Broke the lookin' glass
Seven years of bad luck,
The good things in your past

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Please let me know if there are any “rituals” I have to go through since this happened. . Not really looking forward to the answer to that, but I thought I’d ask.
According to superstition, breaking a mirror results in seven years of bad luck. Here's how to minimize the misfortune:
  1. Get rid of the pieces. Keeping the broken mirror fragments isn't just a safety hazard; according to folklore, holding onto the mirror shards will increase your bad luck. Dispose of the pieces in the trash by wrapping them in paper or placing them in a cardboard box (sharp mirror pieces can cut through a plastic bag).
  2. One practice is to put the broken shards in a bag and bury them. If you can bury the pieces under the light of a full moon, even better.
  3. Grind the mirror fragments into a fine powder.
  4. Throwing salt over your left shoulder to "blind the devil" is one of the best known counter-charms for breaking free of any kind of bad luck.

• Wow

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
The real dilemma here is finding the person/thing that broke the mirror. That is what the 7 years of bad luck is applied to. If it happens to be the weather, I don't think I'll be sailing to Rhode Island in the next 7 years....you must keep us informed.

dj

Sep 26, 2008
The real dilemma here is finding the person/thing that broke the mirror. That is what the 7 years of bad luck is applied to. If it happens to be the weather, I don't think I'll be sailing to Rhode Island in the next 7 years....you must keep us informed.

dj
Well…..if we can all put the image of the layout of the 340 in our mind (you may not want to though)….when my head is under the galley sink, greasing and exercising the seacock….it ain’t my face thats in that mirror.
So that being said, I think I can safely assume,…….The 7 Years is behind me now.

As for the weather….Right now rain, followed by more clouds and the chance of rain. Its been a wonderful April.

Sep 26, 2008
I’m not really sure who put that mirror on the door back in 2000. But it had to be either Hunter themselves when it was being built for us or the company we purchased it from on Cape Cod, MA.