Mercury 9.9 4 stroke on Cat 25

Jun 6, 2022
catalina 1985 catalina 25 fixed keel Northport
When I got back to my mooring today It looked like I was leaking oil. I popped the hood off the engine and saw one of the lines was disconnected so I plugged it back in. I’m guessing that fixed the issue. In the picture it’s the black tube on the top that i circled in yellow. I was thinking I just need to check the oil level and add oil if I’m low and clean any excess oil away from inside the engine. Anything else to consider? Was wondering if I should also clamp down the hose from the side furthest from the boat. Not sure how it came loose in the first place.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
That looks like a crankcase breather. It takes the crankcase vapors back to the intake where the vapors are burned. A clamp might help keep it on but there should be very little pressure in the line.

Jun 6, 2022
Thanks for the response. Could that being disconnected cause an oil leak?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I agree with Kloudie, it's more likely a breather hose. That's not a place you'd see oil being transported. It usually resides in the crankcase and is pumped through channels in the block and head. Now, if you over filled your oil level, then the excess oil might have blown out through the breather hose.... so.... check the oil level and if it is over the mark, then reduce the amount of oil in the crankcase till it's correct. The hose is not the problem, it is the symptom. Here's an owner manual for you to study:

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yes, the vapors would carry some oil aerosol that would condense and look like an oil leak ... and as Joe says, make sure the oil level is correct and not over full..

Jun 6, 2022
I’ll take a look tomorrow and at oil levels and see if anything is blocking the air intake. Appreciate the input from everyone

Jun 6, 2022
So I checked out the oil today and it is a bit over filled. In the picture it’s hard to see but it was to the yellow line I drew in. You think that’s enough over full to cause an issue? Thanks everybody

Attachments

Jun 6, 2022
Yes, the vapors would carry some oil aerosol that would condense and look like an oil leak ... and as Joe says, make sure the oil level is correct and not over full..
So I checked out the oil today and it is a bit over filled. In the picture it’s hard to see but it was to the yellow line I drew in. You think that’s enough over full to cause an issue? Thanks everybody

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You think that’s enough over full to cause an issue? Thanks everybody
There's only one way to find out. Remove the excess. There should be an oil drain plug (check the manual) or just get some thing to suck it out through the fill spout.