• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

Medicane

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
A new term for a non-tropical cyclonic disturbance forming in the....

Mediterranean

One is forming near Italy now , which will bring a lot of rain to North Africa.

Hopefully cooling down the African plains and reducing birthing from the African Atlantic area.
_____
I guess we should coin a new term for the disturbance that started in Gulf of California

Bajacane

Remember you heard it first in SBO:biggrin::biggrin:
Jim...

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Following this logic, would this be a Mexi-cane?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
A new term for a non-tropical cyclonic disturbance forming in the....

Mediterranean

One is forming near Italy now , which will bring a lot of rain to North Africa.

Hopefully cooling down the African plains and reducing birthing from the African Atlantic area.
_____
I guess we should coin a new term for the disturbance that started in Gulf of California

Bajacane

Remember you heard it first in SBO:biggrin::biggrin:
Jim...
I like it.... so if it starts off of the coast of Louisianan can we call it a Cajunane ... or maybe a Cajuncane.

(Oh wait, I might have found the name of my next boat)

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You guys crack me up!!:laugh:
I guess we have started a...
"Caine Mutiny"
Jim...

PS: LA storm... SugarCane

Last edited:
  • Wow
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
If a system forms off the coast of California, we call it a Waste-o-Time.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
If a system forms off the coast of California,
Would it matter if it formed off shore in the North or the South California?
What happens when the state breaks into the promoted 3 parts, then what would it be? 1CACane... 2CACane... 3CACane... 4

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
i'm trying to read this to my wife between fits of laughter.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Boy the folks in Idaho are sure going to be unhappy. Little did they know that New Hampshire residents eliminated them. @Will Gilmore you need a geography study class. 50 States of the Union..

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If you get a little racing dinghy caught up in the middle then you’d have a lidocaine.
Or if the climate changes enough and you have a tropical cyclone in the Arctic, it would be an ...Articaine.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Oh Boise :redface:! I'd a reaped the garden I'd a hoed. When I looked up Spokane's location on Google maps, all I saw were the names Washington on the left and Montana on the right. The border lines were to faint to see on my phone.
P p perhaps I sh sh sh should c c c call it a sp sp spud a spud spudder spudder-a-cane?

-Will (Dragonfly)
PS: The Summer out of third grade, my family and I took a VW camper around the US. From Florida, across to California, North along the coast to Washington, then we took a ferry to Victoria island, drove across Canada to the Great Lakes, came down to Chicago and East to New York, finally taking route 1 back to Florida (4 months). We skipped Idaho then, too :(.​

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
If we got the storms to follow each other closely low over the water, dive bomb fish and then stand on pilings around docks, we could call them... PELI-CANES...
:laugh:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
If we got the storms to follow each other closely low over the water, dive bomb fish and then stand on pilings around docks, we could call them... PELI-CANES...
:laugh:
Then their eyes would see more than their belly-canes.
:banghead:why why why can't I stop myself?
I need to slow down, take some deep breaths and not be in such a hurrycane.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Sorry Will, you're still digging that hole. The City of Victoria (the provincial capital of BC) is on Vancouver Island.
Hey, I was 9. What I clearly remember was a nature tour lead by this old guy named Skipper who use to field test wild edible foods for the military in WWII. He said the only thing he could never bring himself to try was a slug. Held it up over his mouth, but couldn't bring himself to drop it in.
In teaching about the cycle of life, he said nothing in the forest dies, it just fades away.

-Will (Dragonfly)