macgregor 26s vs hunter 260

Status
Not open for further replies.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Bob, I think your getting soft... what's wrong with moving around the inside of an S on your knee's:D

You used to have a picture of yourself inside the Laz on the old Mac with all the junk inside the Laz all over in the cockpit.. that was a good "classic" picture.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
......Sum, I have some Florida info I will put together for you and send along after I get back home and the boat is back in the water............Bob
Thanks and I sent you an e-mail. Also you need to think about making a western swing with the Hunter,

Sum

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
Bob, I think your getting soft... what's wrong with moving around the inside of an S on your knee's:D

You used to have a picture of yourself inside the Laz on the old Mac with all the junk inside the Laz all over in the cockpit.. that was a good "classic" picture.
I am also getting old I guess, after using the head I like to be able to pull my shorts up before I get in to the cockpit :eek: !
Hope you are doing well, Bob

Attachments

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009

Great picture and I notice you are always smiling :) in the pictures. Now the question is where does all of that go in the Hunter ;) ??

I am also getting old I guess, after using the head I like to be able to pull my shorts up before I get in to the cockpit :eek: !
Hope you are doing well, Bob
That was one of the main reasons we did away with the head and moved it....

...to where you could stand up :).

I got the e-mail, thanks, I know what we will be doing tonight or tomorrow :),

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
would somebody mind telling me what the cabin height is like in both boats? I was in a mac 25 on sunday and was rather disappointed with the height inside the cabin, and I am hoping that a 26s or the h-26 has more room...

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
The cabin height on the H260, near the hatch, is about 5' 6".

With the camping top on, you get another 2'. Right where you need it too, at the galley.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
.... I am hoping that a 26s or the h-26 has more room...
I'm 6-1 and can stand in the 26S with the poptop....

.....up. Down it is about 4-10 or 5 foot inside, so you aren't going to stand with it down. We often don't have the pop-top up (sailing and on cold nights) and I don't have a problem with it as we just get down into the cabin and sit and/or sleep. I can move around and sit with it down.

Whenever we show the boat to someone the cabin seems so small and I think they must think we are crazy, but once we are out with it the cabin seems large and cozy at the same time, but there are only two of us sharing it. The S is bigger than the 25 inside with the very large aft berth and that might be important with kids.

The X and M don't have a pop-top and I think the X is 5-10 and the M is 6-0. One more reason they are popular with a lot of people. You are only going to find a couple boats that you can trailer and stand up in all of the time, the newer Mac's and Hunters as far as I know except for a couple other very expensive boats.

Good luck,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Last edited:

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
Mac 26M or Hunter 27E Edge, I've owned both

It's only one data point and it's my personal opinion, so please people don't rip me a new one....

I know my experiences aren't completely applicable to the question asked here but it can be hard to find people who have owned the exact same two boats from different manufacturers someone might wish to compare.

As someone who has owned both a Mac 26M and now own a Hunter 27E Edge I can at least provide feedback on my experiences with these two boats since I've bought both boats new in the last 2 years.

I got the Mac first and so thoroughly disliked it that I sold it for a loss barely a year after I bought it. I thought it was flimsy and not at all well built. The fit and finish of it was, IMO, poor.

I've owned the Hunter Edge for about a year now and really like it a lot. In my opinion it is much more solidly built with better fit and finish. Is it a perfect boat? No. Are there things I'd change about the design. Yes. But in the overall assessment I've been very happy with it.

At only 6in longer and 6in wider I find both the cabin and cockpit to be much roomier. Two people can stand side by side in the cabin and I can seat 7 adults in the cockpit and people can get up and move around without having to climb over each other's laps. This is a big plus for us.

I've been on board Mac 26Xs. Again, in my opinion, I think the layout on the 26X interior and cockpit is better than the 26M. I wish I'd had a chance to see a 26X before buying the 26M new since I'd probably have bought one instead. I personally think they ruined the Mac 26 when they changed the layout.

For myself I think that the extra cost between the 26M and the Hunter Edge 27E was worth every penny I spent. If price is your bottom line then you won't agree. But if you're in the market for a new boat and price isn't the overriding concern then take a look at the Hunter Edge.

If you're anywhere near Boston I keep mine up in Salem and am happy to show it to you.

Jay H

Status
Not open for further replies.